Neptune's or Apollo's ... I'm stuck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neptune's or Apollo's ... I'm stuck.

I am trying to rewrite several of my WHM macros, to make them a lot more dynamic and include a lot more gear changes. Now, where I'm obviously stuck is knowing whether or not I should swap in Water/Neptune's over Light/Apollo's for Flash and Repose. For Banish I've already determined that the +light accuracy seems to do more damage against undead (also Cleric's Mitts), but I haven't really been able to decide on Flash and Repose whether the +Divine Magic skill on Neptune's/Water or the Light MACC would be better for these two spells.

This used to confound me with the Elemental + on Aquilo's over the other elements, when I realized that the +10 on Aquilo's was just a nice bonus for my ice spells but I should be using the proper element, and same with enfeebs. Is it the same way for me on Divine? Should I be just going for the MACC on Apollo's instead of giving myself the Divine plus?

So help me figure this one out. Neptune's for Flash and Repose? Or Apollo's? I rarely have trouble getting either to land since I have capped Divine, unless I'm casting on a light-based mob. So I'm really at a loss here. Which is more appropriate?

Thanks guys.
    sigpic
    ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
    ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
    ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
    ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Re: Neptune's or Apollo's ... I'm stuck.

Water/Neptune's Staff only gives you a +10 Divine Skill, whereas Light/Apollo's Staff will give you a +10/15% increase in MAB and MACC. Basically it's much, much more than a simple +10 skill boost will give you, so you should be macroing in Apollo's/Light for both Repose and Flash.

It's the same reason why RDMs use elemental staves for enfeebles instead of anything else.

Comment

I really don't know enough to say, but one question that comes to mind: do you have any other gear that gives Divine skill (swapped in or permanent)?

Personally, I just use Apollo's Staff, because the only staves I have are Apollo's, Dark, and Wind. The only times I've ever had Flash resisted (even before I got Apollo's, when I was using NQ) was on mobs that would outright resist it no matter what anyway. And Repose, like you said, I've never had any problems landing on anything except light-based mobs (I also have capped Divine).

Rank 10 All Nations
      Zilart/CoP/ToAU Complete
      Assault Rank: Captain
      Campaign Rank: Wings of Honor ∮∮∮∮
      Unique Quests complete: 465
      Maps Obtained: 79/79

Comment

Yep, my friends and I were talking about this one on vent last night. I might just run out to Sea though and test it (duration-wise) with both and see which, on average, sticks longer. But the general consensus is that I should use Apollo's, which is what I was using anyway.
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Apollo's.. the light-based accuracy bonus is far more important to sticking the spell than the increase in Divine skill that Neptune's provides.

If you're writing a macro, here's what I've been using as a guide (I use in-game macros so take out the /macro commands for Windower):

/equip main "Apollo's Staff"
          /equip head "Hlr. Cap +1"
          /equip neck "Divine Torque"
          /equip body "Errant Hpl."
          /equip hands "Hlr. Mitts +1"
          /macro set 2

/equip legs "Hlr. Pantaloons"
          /equip feet "Cleric's Duckbills"
          /equip back "Prism Cape"
          /equip sub "Light Grip"
          /ma "Repose" <st>
          /macro set 1
          Host of irc.gamesurge.net #FF14 - TheAfterLife XI & XIV LS
          Olorin (Ramuh): BLM75 BRD78 WHM75 RDM75
          Olorin Branwen (Melmond): Lv12 LNC9 CON7 THM6 MNR6 ALC4

Comment

Originally posted by Olorin401 View Post
            Apollo's.. the light-based accuracy bonus is far more important to sticking the spell than the increase in Divine skill that Neptune's provides.
            That. Always, always, always use the staff that is the element of the spell for offensive spells. For debuffs and such it's a huge accuracy bonus(especially the HQs), much more than the 10 skill would give, and there's also the 10%NQ/15% damage boost on spells that do damage(Banish). Don't ever let anyone tell you different.
            Last edited by Callisto; 07-28-2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: B/I/U b/c that shit's important!!!
            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

No contest. Apollo's wins by a landslide for offense spell accuracy.

Icemage

Comment

One question I have about Repose..... what is it's modifier? Or does it even have one? I know Sleep is INT for duration. Is Repose MND based or INT based?
                sigpic

Comment

Probably untested but I would place my money on MND.

Comment

Originally posted by FatCharlie View Post
                    One question I have about Repose..... what is it's modifier? Or does it even have one? I know Sleep is INT for duration. Is Repose MND based or INT based?
                    There is no 'modifier' and INT doesn't affect Sleep duration per se. Sleep duration is always 60 seconds for Sleep and 90 seconds for Sleep II barring partial resists(or certain NMs which build resistance to Sleep with repeated casts). In the sense that INT helps cut down resists it can help duration, but it's not a modifier for it. For Repose the duration matches Sleep II(90s), MND can help with resists similar to how INT does with Sleep.
                    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Cool, thanks for clarifying that.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think the only real variable here is resistance (either a reduction in the time slept or resist completely), and you can lower your chances of that happening by increasing your magic accuracy and divine magic skill.

Though as you can see from my macro, I don't take any chances and put my highest MND+ pieces in spots where I don't have anything yet to pad my acc & skill levels.

Hmm.. just realized I can use my Nashira Turban for this. *skribble skribble*

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto
                          There is no 'modifier' and INT doesn't affect Sleep duration per se. Sleep duration is always 60 seconds for Sleep and 90 seconds for Sleep II barring partial resists(or certain NMs which build resistance to Sleep with repeated casts). In the sense that INT helps cut down resists it can help duration, but it's not a modifier for it. For Repose the duration matches Sleep II(90s), MND can help with resists similar to how INT does with Sleep.
                          hmm i thought all sleep I effects where 30 seconds, always find it hard to lullaby > log off.

unless sleep I effects have different length, in that case I did not know that.

Comment

Indeed, Lullaby has a base duration of 30s. However, other sleep spells do have different durations. See this page for more information.
                            Wii Number - 2810 2423 4673 3261 - Please PM me if you add me!
                            How to ask smart questions: catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Boom! (On SCH75/RDM)

Comment

Originally posted by Rambus View Post
                              hmm i thought all sleep I effects where 30 seconds, always find it hard to lullaby > log off.

unless sleep I effects have different length, in that case I did not know that.
                              Originally posted by Tsrwedge View Post
                              Indeed, Lullaby has a base duration of 30s. However, other sleep spells do have different durations. See this page for more information.
                              As I recently learned, a change of instruments can also cause variation in the sleep duration (particuraly Horde Lullaby). It's very minor though, and of course Sleepga 2 is much more effective most of the time.
                              Last edited by Olorin401; 08-11-2008, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X