Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my way back..

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums, but not entirely new to Final Fantasy XI (though it has been years since I have played). Like many, I was pulled away from FFXI when World of Warcraft was introduced to the online gaming world. There is something about that game I am not able to relate to, perhaps it is the extreme competitive nature that so many of its subscribers have.

With that in mind, I recently purchased the 2008 Vana'Diel collection for Windows and I am going to begin playing soon. In nearly every game I play, I take on the role of a healer. Now what intrigues me is the fact that the Vana'Diel census states that White Mage is the most popular class in the game. Having not played in nearly three years, I would like to know if others notice this on servers? Is there a large population of healers everywhere?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I will also be looking for a server to join if anyone has suggestions for that as well.

Thank you all so much.

-Kate

Re: Making my way back..

If I remember correctly, the census doesn't indicate what jobs people play the most, or what they consider their main job. It only indicates what jobs people have leveled. Tons of people level WHM for sneak/invisible/teleports, or as a subjob, etc., and then never party with it once they have it to the point they need it.

WHMs, and healers in general, are not in huge supply. They're also not freakishly scarce.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

i agree with ellipses there. alot of people will usually get a PL for them instead of doing it the old fashioned way.

as far as a server goes. im on seraph, along with a few other people here. if you come here i can get you into a really friendly social linkshell and help you lvl up and get your bearings back. names fastblade
      sigpic

Never Interuppt Your Enemy When He Is Making A Mistake.

Comment

How wonderful to get such quick responses, I was not sure I would hear from anyone right away.

Would you not recommend playing a white mage? This is me trying to get a grasp for what I want to do before I actually begin playing. Perhaps I should loosen the reins on my inner control freak.

Comment

If that's what you enjoy, go for it. Demand for WHMs can drop off in later levels, when other jobs start to make capable healers. And the PL issue is there, though that will vary from server to server and depend on the time you play and all that. But even still, it's not like WHMs are entirely shunned.

Regardless, you will be leveling other jobs at some point anyway, at least for your subjob. That will definitely include BLM and, if you like WHM enough and want to stick with it, Scholar as well. Remember there's no penalty for trying other jobs, so if you start with WHM and find you're not enjoying it, you have options. And if you find you are enjoying it, well, there you go.
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

if you choose to be a WHM then thats what you like to play. for instance, i like playing as a hybrid mage/melee so my two mains are RDM and BLU. if you like to play healer roles, then by all means go for it. dont let someone change what you wanna play because "its not the most popular class" or "if you play such-and-such class you get invites more." YOU choose how YOU want to play this game.

now, im not going to say i dont recommend playing WHM, just do some research first. check out these forums, ffxi wiki, just dont run into a class without knowing what ur getting urself into. my advice is to level BLM first, unlock subjob then level up WHM.
            sigpic

Never Interuppt Your Enemy When He Is Making A Mistake.

Comment

Thank you both for humoring me, your advice will definitely be taken into consideration.

To sykoticjestr, I will likely not be playing until May due to my work schedule but I will make sure that I keep note of your character's name for when I do play.

Again, thank you both for you assistance.

Comment

Please also remember that FFXI Subscriptions/Content IDs reset on the 1st of every month:

If you activate your Content ID on April 30th, your first month ends May 1st.

If you activate your Content ID on May 1st, your first month ends June 1st.

Let us know if this needs further clarification.
                Last edited by Ryoii/Nonomii; 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

You've got several healer options.

White Mage (WHM) is the archetypical healer. It has very low offensive output, very efficient healing power. It stays in that role for its entire career, all the way from level 1 to level 75, and continues to be a healer at end-game.

Red Mage (RDM) is a competent healer. While it conforms closely to its sword-magic hybrid roots for the first 30 or so levels, it can be played quite competently as a primary healing job from level 1 through level 75, though it doesn't do nearly as much healing at end-game. That said, you can always scratch your healer's itch in a level 75 merit point party.

Blue Mage (BLU) becomes a pretty competent healer once it gets access to Wild Carrot in the early 30's. It's traditionally regarded as an attacking job, and serves that role quite well, but you can also opt for a WHM support job instead and go in as a full-on healer and do fairly well.

Scholar (SCH) is quite a decent healer when it's got a mind to be. You should consider levelling this job one you get to level 30, as it's hands down the best subjob for White Mage at level 20/10+. Access to reduced spell costs, faster spell casting and recasts, and a number of useful extra abilities, PLUS the ability to cast limited amounts of Black Magic at nearly the same level as a Black Mage round out this job's powers. Scholar functions well as either a healer or nuker all the way to level 75 and through endgame.

Icemage

Comment

Icemage, you forget Dancer. While it may not make it in to most people's top-main-healer lists, it definitely doesn't not deserve a mention as a competent backup healer at the very least.

(S-E stated their concept was a frontline healer that worked without being shoved to the back. Also, the double-negative was intentional.)
                    Last edited by Yellow Mage; 04-18-2008, 01:08 PM.
                    Originally posted by Armando
                    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                    Matthew 16:15

Comment

Dancer's a good healer too, yeah. It's not as newbie-friendly as the mage jobs, as there's some equipment requirements there that are a bit more exorbitant than the average new player can afford. Doesn't make the job unplayable or anything, but you're at a disadvantage for sure without some extra Accuracy gears.

Though actually Blue Mage is pretty newbie-unfriendly too, with its spell learning requirements, come to think of it.

Icemage

Comment

Well, you get Thanks anyway for at least only mentioning jobs that can natively heal.
                        Last edited by Yellow Mage; 04-18-2008, 02:08 PM. Reason: As in, more than once a minute.
                        No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                        Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                        GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                        However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                        Matthew 16:15

Comment

Even better, these suggestions are all very helpful. It is looking like I will not be able to start playing until the middle of May, but I do wish to continue posting here and furthering my game knowledge before I do begin.

As a suggestion for myself, would it be wise to start as a Black Mage and then reach level 18 so I can take over as White Mage and have the sub-job? Then once I get to level 25 I can start working on the Scholar class? Hopefully I do not seem like I am wishing for someone to spoon feed me this information, it makes me feel far more prepared if I have some form of plan in place.

Comment

Advanced jobs can't be unlocked until 30, so your best bet would be:

BLM to 18
                            Unlock subjobs
                            WHM/BLM to 30
                            Unlock Scholar
                            SCH/WHM or SCH/BLM to 37
                            WHM/SCH to 75

Comment

Originally posted by Feenicks View Post
                              Advanced jobs can't be unlocked until 30, so your best bet would be:

BLM to 18
                              Unlock subjobs
                              WHM/BLM to 30
                              Unlock Scholar
                              SCH/WHM or SCH/BLM to 37
                              WHM/SCH to 75
                              That was my mistake, I see it is level 30 to open the advanced jobs. Thank you for clarifying that for me!

If you activate your Content ID on April 30th, your first month ends May 1st.

If you activate your Content ID on May 1st, your first month ends June 1st.

Let us know if this needs further clarification.
                              I usually do not like to double post, but I was not sure how to correctly quote his post when I had quoted another post in my previous response.

My plan was to begin playing on the 15th of May, so does that mean I only have until June 1st for my 30 day trial that came with the Vana'Diel collection? I am a little confused..
                              Last edited by Brielle; 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X