This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior using staff/club...?

I've started a Mithra Warrior and was thinking of using a Staff or Club till i unlock sub job so that I can switch straight to a combination of the mages. This way i'd have their weapon skill already leveled up a bit.

Good idea? Or should I just stick with being a warrior with 'warrior weps' and then 'start from scratch' with the mages?

Re: Warrior using staff/club...?

I personally think club is a poor weapon choice for war. There are many wand types that are purely low damage but boost mage related stats, and there are hammer type which is more damaging but very long delay. Either way, their WS at low level has very low damage. I highly recommend you stick to axe and G axe as warrior.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Hello.

I HIGHLY suggest you stick to "warrior weps" (axe and Great axe) While leveling your warrior. Weapon skills, especialy at the lower levels, Level very fast on their own. There is no reason to use a weapon that would hurt the preformance of the current job you are leveling just to save a small amount of time instead of leveling it on the job you plan to use it with.

Short answer. NO!

Comment

Not to mention that, aside from the first ten to twenty levels (depending on specific job), most mage jobs don't end up hitting things with their weapons - they're usually too busy resting and casting magic.

Icemage

Comment

axe, great axe, sword at 75 if you have ridill onry >.>

Comment

Why do you need to start as a War if you want to be a mage?

Also, most mage melee abilities suck outside of specific circumstances. A mage will not really be needed or wanted on the front line swinging their weapon. Especially if those weapons are clubs abd staves.

If you want to be a mage down the road, start off as a mage. If you want to be a warrior now, use warrior weapons.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

There was a discussion about this somewhere... basically staff has inferior dmg and weapon skills to great axe and axe. And warrior can't use poles which are the better type of staff weapons. So you'll be doing a lot less dmg than other warriros and you won't be as useful lacking Shield Break from great axe. I'd suggest you stick with warrior weapons
              My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
              Originally posted by Balfree
              Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

also note that when you do level your mage jobs, over the initial few levels (1-10) if you melee at least partially through them you'll cap your weapon in very little time anyway.
                I'd be surprized if it took you long at level 10 to cap staff or club.
                Kylestie was defeated by Curiosity.

Comment

There's a simple solution that will allow you to be effective while leveling WAR and have your staff and club skills pre-leveled for when you start soloing your mage jobs:

1. Use GAxe / Axe while leveling WAR.
                  2. When you unlock subjobs at level 18, grab a staff and a club, and go beat up on Too Weak mobs. Move up on mob difficulty as skill ups slow down.
                  3. When you reach the mid 30s with the appropriate weapon skill, you can stop. This will allow you to solo your mage jobs with capped weapon skill until a level range where you will start playing in parties.
                  Lyonheart
                  lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                  Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                  Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                  Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                  Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                  Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                  Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

If you are really worried about it level your WAR up to 18 using the proper weapon, a great axe, then walk home with a club or staff equiped and skill it up to cap in Konstat. The lvl 10 cap comes really quick. Then you will be able to do good damage as a whm or blm melee in the early levels.

Comment

As a general rule, do not ever pick your weapon for your current job based on what you think you'll be using as another job later on. Always use the best weapon available to you for your current job. When you switch jobs and start using a different weapon, it will either cap on its own anyway (melee), or you won't need it capped because you're not swinging it anyway (mages), and/or can skill it up later without dragging your parties down with inferior weapons and weaponskills.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by ikkleste
                        also note that when you do level your mage jobs, over the initial few levels (1-10) if you melee at least partially through them you'll cap your weapon in very little time anyway.
                        Unfortunately, at level ten I had 15 H2h skill after monk, 14 after Sam and less after Drg. I suppose it depends on what you level on, however.

OP:

Either way, use a GAX as a War. The regular axes are dull in comparison.

Without a sub you likely won't be tanking very much anyway, but you should keep your equipment updated even so.

Comment

Yeah, don't become another Sword and Shield Warrior, please. Great Axe is your friend.

If you do go White Mage though, keep your Club capped on that. Hexa Strike makes jokes out of all of the other weapon skills.

Comment

Originally posted by ikkleste
                            Actually it's difficult to keep your weapon capped after a certain point when soloing in the early levels because after a while you'll mostly be taking on DC and EP mobs, which are had to cap on. The reason why is because you level way too quickly to gain enough skills for capping. And the higher you go in the early levels the farther away from cap you get. You usually won't see a blue number until you start partying.

EDIT: Actually I'll say it's possible to get a blue number in the first few levels. But after about 6 or 7 or so things start getting away from you.
                            My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                            Originally posted by Balfree
                            Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

HAI gaiz! I am not a warrior, but I am going to tell you how to do your job. Don't use axe/club, unless you want to show off that you are a gil buyer. Bye!
                              Character: Jememy 75WHM/75BLM/37SMN/37DRK/37RDM/37NIN
                              Rank 10 Bastok
                              ZM: Complete
                              COP: Complete Tamas Ring
                              Sever: Gilgamesh
                              Linkshell: IZergGenbu
                              Aristocrat's Coat: O
                              Cleric's Briault: O

Comment

Working...
                              X