This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conscerning high level Warriors...

It's been a very, very long time since I've played FFXI, but I'm thinking of getting back into it here soon. I've been playing WoW since I quit FFXI back when WoW came out but I'm kinda tired of Azeroth and I'm craving some o' that Vana'diel goodness.

Basically what I'm saying is don't get too angry with my nubbish thread here, it's been a long, long while since I've played the game and my knowledge isn't as extensive...

Anyways, what I was concerned about is the reason for leveling a Warrior to 75. I mean, the job of the Warrior is to tank, correct? But, why would you want a level 75 Warrior when a Paladin is much better for that job? And a Warrior at level 75 doesn't deal significant damage when compared to other damage dealing specific classes, right? So, is there a point to having Warrior as your main job or is Warrior only a good class when it's secondary?

I'm sure that there's a purpose to having your main job Warrior at higher levels, I just don't know it yet and I would like to discuss this further.
    "Where The Grudge Like A Crown"

Re: Conscerning high level Warriors...

a warrior is a very interesting job. in theory, a warrior can both tank and dd at the same time. while the ninja can take less damage when tanking, and the paladin can hold hate like no one else, the warrior still outdamages either one and yet is still a tank.

each has a different niche, see? warrior is a versitale job. it can be either a tank or a dd, or a little bit of both, but it's still good at either.
    Last edited by aegina; 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
    Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
    I live to entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by aegina
      ...the ninja can take less damage when tanking...
      Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot that Ninjas are sometimes considered tanks because of their ability to evade damage... I completely forgot about that!

...the warrior still outdamages either one and yet is still a tank...
      >_< I thought that Ninja's were big time damage dealers...?

...each has a different niche, see? warrior is a versitale job. it can be either a tank or a dd, or a little bit of both, but it's still good at either...
      So, It's not uncommon to see high level Warriors?
      "Where The Grudge Like A Crown"

Comment

WARs are considered the best DD by most. Its usually the DRKs and SAMs trying to prove them wrong, and the THFs and DRGs being support damage. I don't know where RNGs fall anymore. Better than to ask, just go browse on the job forums of the job you want to play. And PLD + NIN are the only two jobs people consider tanks, but will let MNKs and WARs tank in certain situations.

Comment

War's have some interesting this and that's in subtle ways. Equally the downsides could be as frustrating when added together in situations.

Most notically in skillchain area and their roles is very...fuzzy.

War's aren't that great of DD...per se...but a few things in ffxi give them that so to say. War/nin's have the ability to do damage without taking it, with shadows. A i.e drk/war can out DoT, but they can't take it in return, a drg/war can out TP and DoT, but little WS power..etc etc. War/thfs have Steel Cyclone as a one hit which multiplies well with SA and berserk, but again, you lose out to other classes in other things if you choose that route.

It's the little things that balance out the classes, so try not to listen to people that only say OMFG 1.8k steel cyclone, or I can tank forever.

HNMLS though, if you go that way, are pretty warm to war's, though this is a constant change, as SE has stated very repetivately, that they are looking hard at job rebalancing. I.E-> the just anounced drg change, and hints are a big shift when ToU comes out.

Comment

Warriors are great. I don't think a DRK/WAR can out damage us... double attack bonus plus some haste equipment and some dual wielding boost and you're looking at 100-150 a swing, 2 swing every 2-3 seconds and 1000+ rampage you can spam like crazy because you gain TP so fast. At 75, a party of 3-4 war/nin with a BRD and stunner can rake up to 16,000 exp an hour. Spampage wootz0rz. I'm only 60 tarutaru with no dual wield bonus, no haste gear and most PLD can't hold hate off me already.

VS HNM War doesn't look too useful. But doesn't matter I use will use my warrior for merrit and the exp is even greater than mnk pts.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

don't forget when it comes down to the bottomline, mobs will always remember the damage output before any actions. ninjas have an hard time holding hate when monks are in the party, and I never had a problem prying off hate off any tank on just pure damage output.
              Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
              Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Comment

lol ya war/nin is my favorite job i outdamage just about anything and i poull hate off pld every time i rampage xD i don't even need sushi i can just use mithkabobs because my accuracy is soi good anyways so that boosts my atatck even more

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

>_< I thought that Ninja's were big time damage dealers...?
                  They can be, but at a very expensive cost. A nin that has maxed throwing and keeps good shurikans can do nasty damage, most just dont because the cost of that plus all the shihei for tanking is just overwhelming.

Comment

There's a difference between doing damage, and doing damage without dying, not to mention anyone subbing war pass 50 would have double attack anyway, and berserk...

And no, 1000+ rampage isn't very often. Usually Hits to around 700-800, unless you got double attacks kicking in.

Having haste gear means less str, and acc(yes it matters)...not really an option if you're just going for beat down.

In my experience a mnk/nin would out damage a war/nin even with a ridill and still would tank better with a B in evasion, dodge+ counter+ guard + subtle blow, and a mnk/war on undead...is just sick... Though mnks can't provoke with /nin sub, which gives war/nin's the advantage in hate control.

War's aren't that good, but they have enough tricks to be well off.
                    Last edited by kuu; 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM.

Comment

If a pimped out MNK/NIN outdages a WAR/NIN with Ridill, that WAR sucks. Pimped out MNK needs /WAR to be able to keep up/outdamage a good Ridill WAR.

As for WARs...we're the best tanks against almost every single endgame mob, and the best damage dealer against almost every single endgame mob. We're the best tank against almost every single EXP mobs, and the best daamge dealer against almost every single EXP mob. And the best of all, we do it both at the same time. I outdamage BLMs on endgame mobs while tanking, taking no damage and keep incredible hate since, well, it's the most damage in the alliance (Endgame mobs=HNMs that actually drop good loot like Fafhogg, not roc/serket/ect). And these are blms that do in the upwards of 1900+ Thunder IV MBs, I wouldn't call them gimp.

WAR is the most overpowered job in the game when played to it's full potential. Versatility is an amazing thing, don't overlook it.
                      JohNNY

Comment

I don't know how you can't get 1000 consistently Kuu. I merit PT with my friend 75 war all the time. His rampage never goes lower than 1k. He actually average at 1200.

I'm a taru, and only level 60. But I do consistent 700 damage rampage. And occastionally 900+. I still have a lot of room to improve for 15 more level not to mention all the nice axe i'll be able to get later

on crabs I do less, but I don't bring my PT to fight crab that often. they're boring. For 60 my favourite spot goes to ulgarand range raptors.

But well, I PT with a few other warriors at my same level mostly humes too. Some of them only does 200-300 damage rampage. Don't tell me your standard is down here. The only warrior that out damaged me in the same PT interestingly was a mithra.
                        Last edited by Jei; 11-22-2005, 05:36 PM.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
                          I don't know how you can't get 1000 consistently Kuu. I merit PT with my friend 75 war all the time. His rampage never goes lower than 1k. He actually average at 1200.

I'm a taru, and only level 60. But I do consistent 700 damage rampage. And occastionally 900+. I still have a lot of room to improve for 15 more level not to mention all the nice axe i'll be able to get later

on crabs I do less, but I don't bring my PT to fight crab that often. they're boring. For 60 my favourite spot goes to ulgarand range raptors.

But well, I PT with a few other warriors at my same level mostly humes too. Some of them only does 200-300 damage rampage. Don't tell me your standard is down here. The only warrior that out damaged me in the same PT interestingly was a mithra.
                          With or without a brd Jei? @.@ I can't even do 1.2k on notworthwhile mobs often, with all the str gear in the world...granted i could only test it on a pimped out taru(I can't borrow a rare/ex adaman), but when you have the gear of that taru, it's...sick...

And too much war love is not a realistic things, epecially when all that currently belongs to blms.

HMNLSs don't really need wars...they don't hate them...they're useful, but nothing that can't be replaced. Nin's kite better then wars, and plds last longer, and sam's do more SA damage over all, rangers can shadowbind, etc.

War's are just another class, I wouldn't consider them the best in anything endgame, just very well versed in many situations.
                          Last edited by kuu; 11-22-2005, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I try to get BRD always lol.

Another interesting thing is that, I stick to tentacle sushi for a while. My rampage never does more than 400.
                            Then I switched to sole sushi and my damage jumped up to 700ish.
                            No wonder tentacle sushi sells so slow.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Yea..brd would push up rampage a lot, on vt merits...but you really can't push it a rampage very high without dual minuet. There's only so much str gear to stick on, and not fall off the acc scale.

edit: Tenticle sushi sucks. I don't believe a word of the 18% acc. I hit a lot worse when I tried it then with sole. Sole's still the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X