This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Tanks

I been reading a lot and i am kind of confused. I quit ffxi a while back due to irl, school etc... But i want to be a tank and i have read that pld is best, nin is best, warrior is best. I did warrior till 35 and i was wondering are warriors the current best tank or can a pld or nin outtank us?
    "The secret to immortality is to live a life worth remembering." -Bruce Lee

And to think i could kill every man, woman, and child here if i wanted to. The Power of Death is Intoxicating

skill > support > job

Job is the last thing you have to worry about when tanking. If the player has no skill, no matter his job, he'll suck. If the player has no support, no matter his job, he'll suck. If the player has skill and support, he'll tank equally to a differnet job with the equal amount of skill and support. The arugement about which job is best is futile, because it's the absolute last thing to worry about.
    JohNNY

Comment

Warriors can tank very well, but a lot of people would disagree with you. This is where the problem arises, where people wouldn't invite you to tank because they don't think you are one. This forces people to play other jobs just to get some actual play time out of their monthly fee.

I had a friend that staticed with a bard and would just invite four other people, and wouldn't tank without that bard. He tanked really well as War/Nin.

Comment

Re: Warrior Tanks

ya skill > equip > job > race i think XD , /wave NNY from killingifrit
        http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?71797

58WAR/36NIN/31THF/24MNK/32SAM Rank6

Comment

Ah unfortunetly the last few parties where i invited WARs absolutely refused to tank. WAR AF is tanking gear right? And they refuse to wear it and instead opt a bynie or haby and start DD. I dont mind them with preferencing not to tank but refusing to tank without another tank seeking is just...i dunno...seems most dont want to/refuse to and its frustrating. I am sure WARs can tank but it seems these days not many are willing to even when theres no other tanks out there.

And then there are people that still say WARs suck for damage dealing and putting them in the same category as DRG as DDs(which is not only wrong to both jobs but also so untrue) and refuse to invite them for DD or tanking. >_>

Comment

sounds like a blm who refuse to help cure even when whm's are out of mp. Stubborn ppl play every jobs.
            There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
            but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
            transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

well, what would pld or nin be w/o war support job, they couldn't tank very good could they lol

Comment

one could say warrior is the basis of tanking without war not much tanking works because provoke is the main thing is it not?

Comment

any war can tank. It's just so.... stressful. Paladin and Ninja don't put up with the same sort of biased opinions nor do they require much effort on the part of the rest of the party. The lazy mages that thrive in a pick-up party environment will always prefer a pld or nin. And as a war, I'm happy to refuse tanking unless the party is supportive enough.
                  "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Ive seen a NIN/BLM tank before and not just for a special circumstance, for an XP PT that got 5k/XP per hour (had no +enemity gear). Ive also seen a PLD/NIN tank in Kuftal for 4k/XP hr (requires more use of enemity+ gear, aka the earrings and Rare Mermaid's Ring that Paladins dont normally use.) Both of them seemingly worked better than your average PLD or NIN.

Edit to state my point: WAR/ or /WAR isnt essential for tanking.

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
                    RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

I'm going to do war/nin and I'm a mithra, I'm going to be a kickass tank/whatever the pt needs me to be. Don't worry about what people think is the best job to tank. Choose the one you like the most and be the best at that job.

You may not get as many invites early on, but who cares? You're doing the job you love to do. Show people that you aren't stereotypical and that you don't suck. You will get a good reputation, you'll get more invites.

I have seen many people face seemingly impossible odds, to end up being the best at their job. If you work hard enough, it'll all work out.
                      Peace is a dream flying on gossamer wings. You can surely attain peace. But, the only way is through the grave.

Comment

Working...
                      X