This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghetto paladin?

Eventually I will be going pld/war, but at the moment I'm just a level 10 warrior. I was thinking about getting my whm to 15 and use it as my sub until I was able to get paladin at level 30. So, what do you guys think about the Ghetto Paladin (war/whm)? Can anyone who has played one give me a pros/cons list or something?
    http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?30481
    My profile.

Pros: Good players won't invite you, and their exp will be better.

Cons: Sh*t for MP, you'll never have enough MP to use anymore than 3 cures a fight.

It doesn't boost anything a WAR needs for tanking. You get nothing to hold hate, and no Vit, or Str boosts.

You're gimping yourself, and making all the other WARs look bad.

Sub MNK if you're just going to take WAR to 37. MNK will give you more Vitality, HP (lots more HP), more Str, Counter, and Boost. Which all compliment a WAR very well.

Also make sure you use a G.Axe.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure.
      I was considering going for mnk. It was either mnk or thf. The only reason I wanted thf was for convenience. I need to get it up to level 15 anyway for farming purposes. But I dont think it would help my war out a whole lot.
      And yes, I use a G. Axe. Much of the time, anyway. If the healer is having a rough time keeping my HP up, I switch to a 1h sword/shield combo for a little extra protection. Other than that, my great axe works nicely
      http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?30481
      My profile.

Comment

Instead of that sword you can use an Axe. Raging Axe owns.
        Blm.75 - Whm.56 - Mnk.58 - Rdm.48 - Nin.37 - War.37 - Drk.37

Merits - 98
        Goldsmith - 85.2

Comment

I second that motion. If you're just taking WAR to 30 or 37, you shouldn't even touch a sword in an exp party. All low-level axes are much stronger than low-level swords. And don't go THF, MNK offers a lot more for tanking ^^

Comment

i would say use war/mnk. when i was first lvl'ing war to 30 i used war/thf until 20. then i decided to try war/mnk, and it was definitely much better. i also used sword and shield with war, which worked out good because my shield skill (which is almost impossible to cap) was lvl'd decently. however, now that pld is near 75, i'm considering war/nin as a second job. since i used sword and shield from 1-30 and sword/sword with war/nin from 30-37 my axe skill is soooo gimp and would need loads of skilling up. its capped for my lvl 15 bst, thats it -_-.

anyway, the moral of the story is sword sucks. use axe lol. swords are for rdm's and pld's only. sometimes used in the offhand for nin subs or for spirits within in HNM battles.

Comment

Re: Ghetto paladin?

If you are just taking it to 30, use whm as a sub. I did this a while back as an elvaan and I had no problem keeping the mob's attention on me. Yes, I did get crappy parties, but I also got in really good parties.

They didn't have to make up for my lacking subjob, I made up for it. I had the best equipment that i could afford. Evertime i could get new equipment, i made money to buy it before I started leveling again. I did my best and worked my hardest, and did very well as war/whm.

Yes, I played as main tank, unless there was a statistically better tank than me in the pt. I saved my pt's many a time, bot good ones and bad ones.

I haven't ever talked to another war/whm before or really ever seen one, but yeah, lol.....
              Peace is a dream flying on gossamer wings. You can surely attain peace. But, the only way is through the grave.

Comment

War/Whm = NO

Comment

how about war/whatever you want
                  Peace is a dream flying on gossamer wings. You can surely attain peace. But, the only way is through the grave.

Comment

jee, lemme think about it for less than half of a second...

BECAUSE YOU'RE MAKING THE GOOD WARRIORS LOOK BAD!
                    "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

WAR/MNK pre 24
                      WAR/MNK(NIN) post 24
                      WAR/MNK(NIN/THF) post 30

Stick with WAR/MNK, boost whenever possible, provoke often, and you'll hold hate just fine.
                      All spells obtained!
                      Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

Boost is somewhat of a mini provoke. ^^
                        Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                        Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                        Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                        Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                        Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Yeah, for the love of all you believe to be holy, do not sub WHM for WAR unless you're soloing. You should never sub WHM for an EXP party. You are not a watered down PLD, but you have succeded in making yourself a watered down WAR. MNK subjob will help you keep hate better than 30HP cured here or there.

I had a party at Lv.20 request I sub /NIN for Duel Axes, but you should sub MNK at least until Lv.24. Possibly even higher depending on weapon used, and party set up.
                          Odude
                          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Yeah, I was being sarcastic, but I didn't put my sarcastic emote up....yeah >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop
                              jee, lemme think about it for less than half of a second...

BECAUSE YOU'RE MAKING THE GOOD WARRIORS LOOK BAD!
                              No actually, he's making good warriors look better...

If theres another WHM in my party and that guy is being an asshat, then it just makes me look BETTER for doing things right, not worse.

Man, I remember a time when NO ONE took war past 30 and that was considered a No-no...

Comment

Working...
                              X