Summoner vs other jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summoner vs other jobs

The thread title probably sounds different to what I actually mean. Basically my friends and I have been talking recently about the power of certain jobs. Basically it got to a point where they wanted to gang up on me (PLD, DRK and DRG vs SMN) and they KNEW they would win.

Of course I understand I'm useless without an avatar out but assuming I had gotten one out and stuff, would it be possible to beat any other job in a PvP match? 'Cause obviously they're gonna attack me, not the avatar.

Re: Summoner vs other jobs

If you could smack any of them with an AF before they could do anything maybie, but each of them jobs has a way to get around/stop you from causing them any damage.

For Dark knight they would just quickly cast a Stun of at ye then pound at you, providing it sticks to ya. For a Paladin you might have a chance, but their high Defense could help them survive the attack. A dragoon, providing you get the AF out before he super jumps then you can get him. If he super jumps when you do the AF then you pretty much buggerd.

If you are able to smack an AF out before they can do any of them abilities, you could stand a chance. Even sleepaga them first could work, but then theres the 1min+ bloodpact timer.
    "Leo used poop!
    The attack was ineffective!"

Comment

SMN is not good in PVP. You have no armor, no quick means of control, and are wholly dependent on your pet which can be taken out by very simple means (e.g. Sleep).

Comment

I guess they're right about them being able to kill me then, but hey at least I can summon avatars! That makes me happy...

Comment

/sigh SMN
          Originally posted by Armando
          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
          Originally posted by Armando
          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Since FFXI is primarilly a PVE game, in which players group together to overcome the individual differences and form a cohesive team, whether or not they can beat you is kind of irrelevant.

Comment

Off topic, but your latest avatar is awesome murphie >.>b
              sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately Summoner is one of those jobs that have no place in PvP. All it is is walking TP for the opposing team (them and their pets), and a walking Gate Breach if in an official game.

You're better off bringing something else to the table, cuz SMN isn't gonna do you any good.

Comment

Well, if avatars were immune to at least to sleep (PvP only obviously) that would help. Maybe some kind of provoke command for them?

As stands the only thing I can think of is having Shiva use Sleepga (which IS a ward right?) followed by Rush. Make sure you run like hell too >. >
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

To make it a good match.. summoners should only fight a mage and a warrior should
                      fight a dd class. it will be a good match to see a summoner fight a blue mage ,red mage, black mage and white.
                      Test

Comment

The only time I'm ever going to bring my summoner to PVP is to see if my Fenrir is better than yours someone else's.

Other than that, summoner is really not a wonderful job to use in PvP at all. It depends how you use it, yes, but it's not exactly a popular choice as far as I see.

Of course, this is only what I know from watching PVP occasionally so my insight probably won't be helpful in comparison to other people.

Comment

Nah, I see what everyone's saying. I wasn't planning on entering any kind of PvP as SMN. It was just a discussion between friends on who would kick whose butt when it came down to it. I thought I would stand a chance using avatars but when it comes down to it human players are smart enough to attack the SMN, not the avatar

Cheers for the insight though guys!

Comment

One problem with SMN PVP is, for most attacks, all the enemy has to do is run away when you use it. The range of hit is pretty small and it takes a little while to use (and avatars dont move much when using something).
                            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

There was a post or something a while back about a smn using tanking gear, and only take 80 damage per hit and surviving. Not sure what happened to that video, as I cannot find it anymore. It was basically a comparison of smning gear vs. tanking/defense gear.
                              Hacked on 9/9/09
                              FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Working...
                              X