This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update March 08 Your opinion

Honestly, I believe that SE really isn't sure what to do to help RDM melee. It is a terribly fine line they have to figure out how to make RDM walk, after all, and they haven't yet sounded like they've figured out anything specific to try. As such, I'm not expecting a RDM melee update yet.

For now, the most I'm hoping for is more light melee gear -- not just for us, but for THF, DNC, BLU, and NIN (who depend in no small part on damage to hold hate, remember). Some better melee gear for all us semi-squishies would go a long way. -- Pteryx

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
      Option 4: I'll just wait and see what they actually do and reserve judgment until then.

Icemage
      /nod/nod

I remember there were huge arguments on my old LS over WOTG jobs, back when they just said new jobs where coming out but we didn't know what, there were hardcore supporters of "Chocobo Knight"

"oh there are pictures of chocobo knights on the preview, that means thats the new jobsss"

Boy you know when Dancer and Scholar were released her felt like a doodoo head hehe.

I say we wait until the official information is released before actually trying to talk about it.
      62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

I don't really see RDM on the priority list. Given the land mass of the expansion alone the WHM and BLM teleportation spells are a logical addition. Two new jobs would obviously mean two new Phantom Rolls for COR. New mobs and family types would mean we should get new Blue Magic not too long in. Adjustments to SMN are a long time coming and needed, PUP is still getting tweaks here and there.

DNC and SCH are still new, so adjustments to those jobs are also a natural choice

There's a lot of other jobs that could use tweaks, but these are ones I'd put ahead of all the others, too. With the exception of SMN and PUP, the rest are timely adjustments and the sort I'd hope would come soon after the release of an expansion.

Comment

Please don't let BLUs be able to learn Gnole spells....

-stays away from BLUs in Ballista from then on-
          62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Comment

I do not think that RDM really needs any major melee adjustment. You can not honestly expect a RDM to get the full powers of casting AND melee. Sure, I see some room for improvement, maybe better melee gear (I see no reason why an adjustment to the job itself is needed) and Tier II En-Spells, but aside from that, I think RDM melee is already decent with a proper support job You can not expect to get a full line of spells from /WHM or /BLM and still be able to pull out Vorpal Blades. If you sub something like DRK or WAR, your melee will improve at the cost of your magic. Simply put, you can not be the "Jack of all trades, master of all."
            Originally posted by Ellipses
            Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
            Originally posted by MCLV
            A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
            More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by MrMageo View Post
              Ok seeing as we are still in the dark about how the are going to make there hinted change to melee on RDM im curious to think what the rest of you believe.

Some Rules

1. No flames, counter views, of peoples opinions
              2. No suggestions of new abilities just a yes,no, and a breif why
              3. This is not a discssion this is a poll please keep discussions to the many other topics
              They did add a place where rdm can melee, it is called campaign and they are updating it
              [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sevv View Post
                They did add a place where rdm can melee, it is called campaign and they are updating it
                And smaller EXP/Merit groups.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                  And smaller EXP/Merit groups.
                  I'm still not letting a rdm melee in those

Comment

Try and stop me.

Actually it wouldn't be that hard since no one ever does it.
                    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                      Try and stop me.

Actually it wouldn't be that hard since no one ever does it.
                      Uses his powers to stop you... oh wait you would need a pt first

Comment

Originally posted by Onionsoilder View Post
                        I do not think that RDM really needs any major melee adjustment. You can not honestly expect a RDM to get the full powers of casting AND melee. Sure, I see some room for improvement, maybe better melee gear (I see no reason why an adjustment to the job itself is needed) and Tier II En-Spells, but aside from that, I think RDM melee is already decent with a proper support job You can not expect to get a full line of spells from /WHM or /BLM and still be able to pull out Vorpal Blades. If you sub something like DRK or WAR, your melee will improve at the cost of your magic. Simply put, you can not be the "Jack of all trades, master of all."
                        Okay, my views on the RDM job have sort of mellowed out after a while and I really don't think they need to be first or second or even tenth in ways of improvement, but I do want to point something out here. You said you can't honestly expect a RDM to get the full powers of casting and melee but that's close to what blu is isn't it? I'm not saying I wanna see RDMs with A sword skill running around at the moment. Just saying that BLU is already pretty heavy on casting and sports an A sword skill. So... yeah.
                        My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                        Originally posted by Balfree
                        Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Things that could help RDM become more melee friendly without any major adjustments are pretty easy to implement.

B+ dagger/sword skill - It might not seem like much but that +6 skill would make a difference.
                          Better sword and (specially) dagger options - I still don't know why RDMs don't have access to a dagger like Sirocco. Also, I'd understand if RDM didn't have access to better weapons if Enspell dmg was applied to WS but it isn't. Specially considering how low our STR/Att ratings are to begin with.
                          Enspell II - More damage/acc bonus or added effect, either way this is the least they can do. The core of RDM melee is Enspell dmg, improving this along with giving us better DoTs would help RDM be more efficient without changing the way the job plays.

I wonder if SE will ever do anything or if they are so afraid of all the nerf whinners to do it.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                            Hah!

Really all I would want would be a mild upgrade to Enspell damage. Making RDM into something resembling even Blue Mage in combat capacity would be encroaching on the uniqueness of that job, so I don't see S-E ever really doing that now that Blue Mage is in the game (not that Blue Mages are all that and a bag of chips in combat, but they're certainly still noticeably better at it than Red Mages).

If anything, I would rather that Square-Enix give BLUE Mages something more. They need the help far more.

Icemage
                            So, wait: according to you, Red Mages are fine as is, and Blue Mages are the ones who need help? And that we would be encroaching upon their turf, despite the painfully obvious cause of the "You want a melee-mage, go to BLU" arguments?

What kind of screwed up logic is that?

Originally posted by nanatsu View Post
                            Okay, my views on the RDM job have sort of mellowed out after a while and I really don't think they need to be first or second or even tenth in ways of improvement, but I do want to point something out here. You said you can't honestly expect a RDM to get the full powers of casting and melee but that's close to what blu is isn't it? I'm not saying I wanna see RDMs with A sword skill running around at the moment. Just saying that BLU is already pretty heavy on casting and sports an A sword skill. So... yeah.
                            Blue Mages have it fine as is. Red Mages haven't had an update, at all, ever, since Refresh and Convert (excluding all-job updates, which were all jokes for RDM). And S-E even acknowledged they would like to see more Red Mages on the front line than now.

As for the OP, whether or not Red Mages get much of anything in this next update is still mostly in the air. However, as is, the probability an update doesn't do anything for Red Mage in particular (all-job updates obviously excluded) is approximately equal to the probability that the sun will rise tomorrow.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                            Originally posted by Armando
                            Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                            Matthew 16:15

Comment

DIDN'T WE JUST HAVE THIS CONVERSATION KILL ANOTHER THREAD?

Seriously.

Comment

RDM.
                                Is.
                                Fine.
                                The.
                                Way.
                                It.
                                Is.

Seriously.
                                sigpic
                                ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                                ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                                ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                                ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
                                X