Two RDMs in one party...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two RDMs in one party...

... not a very good idea. Take it from me, it was horrible.

1. Person does not speak japanese and apparently not english either (Because I asked, on more than one occassion, about coordinating our refresh and hastes)

2. Because there's 3 mages (1 smn was with us too) and both of us RDM were subbing WHM (I was invited first and was not made aware about a 2nd RDM until I got to the Mire) there were either overhealing or none at all; overbuffing or none at all; just a general mess.

3. And a 3rd issue ... we'd have been better off with a 3rd WAR/NIN (3 were seeking at the time) ... not sure what the JP leader was thinking. I'm assuming he thought it was funny.

After my 3rd death, I got fed up, homepoint rezz and just disbanded. Wasted a whole 2 hours of my afternoon and gaining only 5K of exp (Ate a lot of R1s)

I'm just in a horrible mood atm...

Re: Two RDMs in one party...

Awww, sry for the bad afternoon. I've been in PTs with 2 RDM many times, some are bad experiences, but a few have been amazing if they're working together!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day for ya!!

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I dont think the overall idea is bad, but if people have problems communicating (or are dumb) then I can see where each role for each rdm would be confusing, leading to confusion and time wasting.

Comment

One of the RDMs (either you or the other guy) needed to go /BLM and convert into a nuke battery while the other focused on main healing/hastes.

I've done 2xRDM in a non-75 party before and it's doable, but you really have to split the roles effectively. Language barrier probably hurt, however.

Icemage

Comment

I like having two rdms in a pt, especially if I'm one of them and you can make it work really well. But if you couldn't communicate and split the jobs then it probably would of been annoying which is a shame, 2 x rdms =

Comment

As a RDM, I tend to find two RDMs in party to be boring--when working well together. ._. It's just aggravating when not working well.

I like two support role jobs in party, but if I'm RDM, I'd be much happier seeing a BRD, COR, or SMN instead of another RDM.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
              I like two support role jobs in party, but if I'm RDM, I'd be much happier seeing a BRD, COR, or SMN instead of another RDM.
              Anything but another RDM, yes.

Really the only support job that can handle being doubled up in a party effectively is probably Bard. 2xBard + PLD + 3xDD makes for a really crazy merit party. PLD takes the role of main healer while the Bards pull anything and everything in sight.

Icemage

Comment

It's doable but requires a good deal of communication between the two RDM.

It is not a license for one RDM to do nothing but refresh themselves and melee. I won't bother saying what RDM made this blindingly obvious in one party I was in.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Being a RDM as my second job has had me on many situations where my party ends up with 2 RDMs for lack of anything else. I've only had good experiences though, usually i like to nominate 2 players for each of us, and we must take care of them, buff and heal accordingly. It has never been a problem... maybe the lack of communication skills by the other person was the real problem there...
                  signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Technically 2 RDM in the same party works. In the past I had formed 3x RDM party twice (it is not a typo, 3x RDM in the same party, once at lvl 35ish, another at lvl 65ish). Before the party begian, I made sure those RDMs split up their work among themselves. And once they fullfill the basic need of the party, I let those RDMs melee/free-nuke. The exp. gain were nice and steady, and the feedback I got from those RDMs were positive.
                    Server: Quetzalcoatl
                    Race: Hume Rank 7
                    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

It was definitely the language barrier. I had a pt that was 2x RDM WAR MNK at that Nyzul Staging Point.

Chain 40, with one of the RDMs pulling. Not me, because I realized I suck at pulling because I care about having a PERFECT refresh cycle too much. But being Taru, I had more base MP anyway, so I was main healing.

Very intense. Definitely made a usage of my Convert Merits.

Point is, the range of where it can work to where it can't can vary from Awesome to Atrocious.
                      The Tao of Ren
                      FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                      Originally posted by Kaeko
                      As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

I've usually had very good experiences with 2 RDM's, and actually love it when there are. There's two scenarios where this has worked well for me:

RDM #1: Main Heal, Erase, Bar-spells, Poisona, etc. (sub /WHM)
                        RDM #2: Refresh, Haste, Enfeebles, Elemental Debuffs (Sub /BLM)

or

when there is another main healer:
                        RDM#1: Refresh, Haste, Backup Heal (sub /WHM)
                        RDM #2: Enfeebles, Nukes, Elemental Debuffs (sub BLM)

Either way, communication is key.
                        (Saiph on Sylph server)
                        90BLU,90WHM,90DRK,90RDM,90PLD,90BLM,90WAR,90DRG,70THF,70SAM,
                        70MNK,70NIN,70RNG,70BST,66SMN,66BRD,60DNC,60SCH,60COR,60PUP

Comment

Dont matter to me as a rdm i can do anything frompulling to dd, melee to /blm mb nuking or healing dont matter to me i even do 5rdm 1 brd Melee burn Red Mage is the jack of all trades for a reason.
                          TERA - Dark.Anubis 70 High Elf Preist - RETIRED
                          WOW Ihornedyourmom 85 Tauren Paladin - RETIRED
                          FFXIV - Sergei Volkov - RETIRED
                          FFXI - Massaranger, Daytimes and Sunghee - RETIRED

Comment

Some jobs are just harder to put multiples of into the same party, and expect better results. Throw more RNGs at the same problem? That works. Throw more RDMs at the same problem? Not quite the same thing.

I remember one Quicksand party in the late 40s where the party leader decided to replace a DD who was leaving with a PLD... when we already had a PLD in the pt. The 2nd PLD was equally puzzled at the decision. But he tried to make the best of it by going into DD mode... which meant pulling out his GSword. I doubt he had any other DD gear with him. This was about 3 years ago, when blood tanking was still the "in" thing.

It's sad seeing a melee hitting for 0 dmg with a 2 handed weapon. It really is.
                            Lyonheart
                            lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
                            Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
                            Fishing 60

Lakiskline
                            Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
                            Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
                            Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
                            Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Originally posted by LyonheartLakshmi View Post
                              Some jobs are just harder to put multiples of into the same party, and expect better results. Throw more RNGs at the same problem? That works. Throw more RDMs at the same problem? Not quite the same thing.

I remember one Quicksand party in the late 40s where the party leader decided to replace a DD who was leaving with a PLD... when we already had a PLD in the pt. The 2nd PLD was equally puzzled at the decision. But he tried to make the best of it by going into DD mode... which meant pulling out his GSword. I doubt he had any other DD gear with him. This was about 3 years ago, when blood tanking was still the "in" thing.

It's sad seeing a melee hitting for 0 dmg with a 2 handed weapon. It really is.
                              This is an apples & oranges comparison. PLD is a very specialized job...one role... Tanking. RDM is just the opposite. RDM's can main heal, enfeeble, refresh, haste, and do a respectable job of nuking and even DD'ing if skills are capped. Throw in Erase, bar-spells, and party buffs as a side benefit. A RDM can never do all of those things if he's the only RDM, and so something is always omitted due to lower priority. Having 2 PLD's in the same party is asinine, but having 2 RDM's in the same party makes sense depending on the party make-up, level, mobs, etc. Whenever it is necessary to have a fully-enfeebled mob, continually-hasted DD's, continually-refreshed mages, and there are no WHM's to main heal or BLM's to nuke, it is probably a good option to have 2 RDM's.
                              (Saiph on Sylph server)
                              90BLU,90WHM,90DRK,90RDM,90PLD,90BLM,90WAR,90DRG,70THF,70SAM,
                              70MNK,70NIN,70RNG,70BST,66SMN,66BRD,60DNC,60SCH,60COR,60PUP

Comment

Working...
                              X