Potency of Enfeebling Magic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Potency of Enfeebling Magic

Bind, as Iv always know it and used it is the same as all other INT based enfeebling magic.

This, although I have no proof of a 10,000 test sujects I know is fact:

Skill + Magic Accuracy determine the resist rate of sticking it, INT is the key factor which will determine duration of said stickiness. Even if stuck, it can be resisted to the point of instawear.

However, I thought 40s was the Bind cap, although never timed it :/ Dont really go binding stuff like Rabbits though, so maybe 40s is the cap for NM's in the lvl 80-90 range for my tier of INT (bound Kirin for 30s the other day woot)

Bind also never builds resistance, Gravity does.

Comment

The duration is random, but with normal (Gaussian) distribution. The distinction is somewhat subtle, but you can say there's no "partial resist". The idea is that Bind is like Silence--either full resist, or no resist, with random (normal distribution) on the duration.

The idea of "partial resist" means a discrete (set amount) cut in potency. That would imply in cases where partial resists are rare, we should see mostly full potency--near max duration.

That's just not the case with Bind (or Silence), from what the tester reported. So, if INT does anything for Bind's potency (which it probably should), likely it'd increase the average duration, but doesn't affect "partial resists" since there is no such a thing for Bind.

Confirming that would require further testing, of course.
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

The part that I'm definitely interested to see is how the damage portion is figured. I've landed Binds on a few different types of mobs of different levels, the two that stand out off the top of my head are the higher tier Hpemde and the Puddings at the standard Mount Z. manaburn camp(T and VT, respectively), where the Bind has held through a full-on Burst II of 2k+ damage, on the Pudding it actually held through the Burst II and a Thunder III.

Obviously these types of Binds are rare, and on the big solo fights if I so much as Dia for 1 damage Bind is broken instantly, but I really would like to see some testing on whether or not dINT contributes to how often these 'Super Binds' occur.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
          ブラインIIの命中ダウン計算式を探る (JP)
          That appears to be the testing data for Blind II.

Summary for Blindness:

Blind II Potency
          Accuracy Down = (Caster_INT - Target_MND + 100)/4
          (Round down to nearest integer.)
          Min_Cap: Accuracy-15
          Max_Cap: Unknown
          A bit of a necro, but I've been reworking a new RDM guide and I realized that this Blind II formula, while seeming accurate, doesn't give any modification for level 2 or 3 merits. Have any of you guys seen any info as to whether or not additional Blind II merits have any effect on potency, or just accuracy?
          Last edited by Callisto; 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM.

Comment

FFXIclopedia says additional merits increase both the accuracy and effect of Blind II.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Ah ok, I'll check that later, can't access that site until 5pm+ and was unable to find any other info via normal Google digging. :/

Comment

Wait, why does MND factor in? Come to think of it, I'm not really sure just how MND works against spells. I know that with elemental spells it's Caster INT vs Target INT, but enfeebles (at least Blind) is INT vs MND?

So what about Slow/Paralyze? Is it MND vs MND or MND vs INT or what? >. > so much confuzlement.
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                  Wait, why does MND factor in? Come to think of it, I'm not really sure just how MND works against spells. I know that with elemental spells it's Caster INT vs Target INT, but enfeebles (at least Blind) is INT vs MND?

So what about Slow/Paralyze? Is it MND vs MND or MND vs INT or what? >. > so much confuzlement.
                  Blind = INT vs. MND
                  Slow/Para = MND vs. MND

Moral of the story, use Absorb-MND or Shock before you do your debuffing cycle for a bit of a boost. Absorb-MND is actually a huge boost if you can land it then fire off Slow right away, that's a 24-point swing in MND.

Comment

I already knew to use Shock/Burn when doing enfeebles, but I didn't know that some of the black magic ones were vs MND.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's pretty much only Blind that I know of, since the effects of adding more INT to Gravity or Bind have proved to be extremely hard to quantify.

The next thing I'm curious about to test is how quickly the gradual wear on the MND up/down from Absorb-MND is, or rather how easy it is to fire off all 3 of your main debuffs before you lose a chunk.

Comment

It's fairly quick actually, about 1 stat every 3-6 seconds. This is what I'm assuming from my experience on DRK (the stats you absorb wear off at about that pace, so I'd imagine the stat down effect on the mob is similar. It might not be though, it's been a while since I had a demon actually land an absorb stat on me XD)
                        sigpic

Comment

Disclaimer

So I'm finally at the point where I'm going to start with Group 2 merits and my current plan looks like this:

Bio III (5)
                          Slow II (3)
                          Blind II (2)

Now, I'm still undecided about giving Blind II that second upgrade, but from this:

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                          Summary for Blindness:
                          Blind II Potency
                          Accuracy Down = (Caster_INT - Target_MND + 100)/4
                          (Round down to nearest integer.)
                          Min_Cap: Accuracy-15
                          Max_Cap: Unknown

Kurayami Potency
                          Kurayami: Ichi = Accuracy-20
                          Kurayami: Ni = Accuracy-30

Side note: For evasion purposes, Kurayami: Ichi is as potent as Scorpion Harness and Optical Hat put together; Ni is even better.
                          I think getting Kurayami: Ni effectiveness (-30 acc) is easily attainable. And I do use Blind regularly enough for me to want the upgraded spell. Question is if that upgrade (lvl2) is worth it instead of a 4th Slow II.

Of course my Google skills have failed me and I haven't been able to find any information about Blind II merits. So, unless it has always been a straight -1 acc per merit added (which would make me forget about that 2nd Blind II level.) I still have no way to know if the upgrade is really a waste or not.

Does anyone know about this and/or can point me to a good source of info on Blind II merits?
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Some blowhard in my LS today was leveling RDM (only 26), and he decided to tell me about how Paralyze is useless (of all the spells to say that about!). I'm glad someone bumped this thread, because I had forgotten about it.

I of course did my best to explain how wrong he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                              Of course my Google skills have failed me and I haven't been able to find any information about Blind II merits. So, unless it has always been a straight -1 acc per merit added (which would make me forget about that 2nd Blind II level.) I still have no way to know if the upgrade is really a waste or not.

Does anyone know about this and/or can point me to a good source of info on Blind II merits?

I tried to find good information, but there's not much available beyond what's already been said. I would say that "Blind Effect" is equivalent to "Accuracy Penalty", but I have no basis for that statement.

I tried searching Bluegartr, but all discussions involving Blind II devolved into sh!t-tossing and conjecture...

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                                Some blowhard in my LS today was leveling RDM (only 26), and he decided to tell me about how Paralyze is useless (of all the spells to say that about!). I'm glad someone bumped this thread, because I had forgotten about it.

I of course did my best to explain how wrong he was.
                                Is this the same guy who thinks Haste is useless? You need to PM me the message of this guy, so I can avoid him. >_>
                                ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X