No announcement yet.

Does Fast Cast affect item usage speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Fast Cast affect item usage speed?

See topic.

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Re: Does Fast Cast affect item usage speed?

Originally posted by Spider-Dan
    See topic.
    Is there a reason for asking (There must be, otherwise you wouldn't ask this) AFAIK, it doesn't. It takes me just as long to use a warp cudgel as a level 64 RDM as it does when I'm playing my 72 DRK.

Comment

hmm i don't think so. never tried tho.
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Hmm, never heard of it doing that. Considering the games structure and the obvious use of modules being used to cover like operations. Example being Utsusemi and Third Eye, how the system determines the two as avoiding an attack have shown to come from the same coding when they altered Utsusemi it adversly effected Third Eye.

With that in mind Fast Cast seems to show that it reduces spells and abilities (Think I recall seeing abilities before) so it seems that it just flat out effects the timer regardless of what it is so I would think as probably a fluke it might effect item usage speed. If it does it'll likely be fixed. If you are thinking it to effect enchantment times I kind of doubt since the enchanted items maintain their timers to that object and not to the player object.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Nope - hi-ethers still take 14 seconds to use on rdm as on any other job, so from that you can infer it doesn't affect items.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
          "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Fast Cast affects magic only.

All job abilities are instant, so FC doesn't affect those. Any sort of delay you see between when you initiate the JA and when it actually fires is simply a result of lag.

Comment

Originally posted by Fynlar
              Fast Cast affects magic only.
              Fast Cast also affects songs and ninjutsu, which are technically not magic. That's essentially what raised the question about items in the first place.

Centurio X-I 1/1 - Celphie 1/1 - Deadly Dodo 0/2 - Doppleganger Dio 0/1 - Jaggedy-eared Jack 0/7 - Joo Duzu the Whirlwind 1/1 - Leaping Lizzy 2/16 - Mimas 0/1 - Odqan 1/9 - Orcish Wallbreacher 0/1 - Ose 1/3 - Sagittarius X-XIII 1/1 - Serpopard Ishtar 3/6 - Silk Caterpillar 1/2 - Tom Tit Tat 0/2 - Trickster Kinetix 0/2 - Valkurm Emperor 6/10 - Wyvernpoacher Drachlox 1/1

Comment

Fast Cast also affects songs and ninjutsu, which are technically not magic. That's essentially what raised the question about items in the first place.
                Ninjutsu and songs count as spells even though they don't use magic, and I would think Blue Magic is affected by Fast cast as well. (In a way anything that can be stopped using silence counts as a spell)

Fast Cast only affects casting and recast time, Haste only affects Recast time, and I think that's about it.

Fast cast doesn't affect Ability recast times or Item use times either ( ), I would've loved Convert every 6 mins

What I would like to know though, is if +haste equipment affects recast time the same way Haste does.
                sigpic
                "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus

What I would like to know though, is if +haste equipment affects recast time the same way Haste does.
                  Yes it does, however recently it has been found that there is a hard cap on the amount of recast that can be lowered from +haste gear. I believe it was found to be 25% is the max reduction you can receive from +haste equip.

Also, there are some fast cast items that are much different than the JA. While the Wlk. Chapeau and the Dlt. Tabard are set ammounts that lower casting and recast times like the JA, items like the Loquac. Earring and Rosterm Pumps give a random ammount off of casting (1%~3%) and don't affect recast at all.
                  sigpic
                  Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

Actually what you're seeing on Rostrums and Loquacious are rounding errors, or rather unfavorable rounding. Test methods for fast cast always involve 2 things: 1) eyeballing the casting bar and 2) checking the recast on a very long recast spell, like reraise and such.

#1 is prone to lag, highly inaccurate, and seems to indicate FC gives double the bonus to cast speed that it does to recast reduction.
                    #2 is far better but difficult to test small bonuses such as those from Loquacious and Rostrums.

Since much of the game operates on an x/256 random number generation... Fast cast job traits and effects from RDM AF and relic seem to give about 10% faster cast speed and 5% reduced recasts. So maybe -12/256 recast reduction and you could have 5 of those active from traits and equipment. Loquacious/Rostrums no doubt give a measly 3-5/256 to recast calculations, or around 1-2%... So sometimes you'd see it save a second on recast and sometimes not depending on what spell you're testing and other fast cast traits/equipment that're active. Even putting the two together is still not quite = to a real Fast Cast job trait or RDM AF/relic.

Conserve MP works similarly, with a base chance around 10% for it to fire, or 25/256. And the CMP gear is much more clearly labeled, i.e. Magnetic Earring's Conserve MP +5, etc. And then it randomly saves 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, or 1/2 the mp cost of a spell. Rounding erros are seen here too that often skew overall results, with the actual mp savings since most spells don't cost 16mp or 32mp or some other multiple of 16.... Mathmatically this should come out to around 7-8% mp saved over time. Adding CMP +5 would increase this by roughly 1.4%. Testing confirms this with and without /blm.

Following this line of reasoning for what X_Trait +1's and X_Trait +5's mean on gear... makes me cry for thf's who camp Thief's Knife and its Treasure Hunter +1 (+.4% according to this numerical game mechanic theory). Espeically with something as hard to test as drop rates which is one of many things theorized to also be effected by weather/moonphase.... Counter, Double/Triple attack, at least those are easier to test.....

Double Post Edited:
                    Makes you wonder about meriting.... Like if you for example add +1 crit merit is it really adding 2/256 to crit calculations (.8%), or 3/256 (1.2%)? Does adding a second crit merit give another 2/256 (.8%) or does it give 3/256, 1.2%? {Hmmm.}
                    Last edited by arkaine23; 06-30-2006, 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Madrone Hume Female Leviathan Server
                    75: RDM MNK BLM PLD BRD subs: NIN WAR DRK BLU WHM SCH DNC RNG
                    AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5
                    Merits 384/506, Bastok rank 10, Merc rank 10

Comment

I suppose this means that Chainspell doesn't work on item usage, either?

Comment

I suppose this means that Chainspell doesn't work on item usage, either?
                        Chain Spell: Removes cast and recast times on all spells for 30 seconds.

I'm going with no on items.

And for more fun with bold:
                        Fast Cast: Quicken spellcasting
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

This is easy to test. Send one of your mules a hi-ether or other long-activation level 0 item, change that mule to RDM, activate chainspell, and see if it's any faster.

Icemage

Comment

Don't have much to offer to the thread, but...
                            Test methods for fast cast always involve 2 things: 1) eyeballing the casting bar and 2) checking the recast on a very long recast spell, like reraise and such.
                            I've read people record spellcasting with Fraps and check frame by frame to see at which point in the casting bar the spell goes off with and without Fast Cast.
                            Chain Spell: Removes cast and recast times on all spells for 30 seconds.

I'm going with no on items.

And for more fun with bold:
                            Fast Cast: Quicken spellcasting
                            Game descriptions aren't always accurate. Subtle Blow reads: "Reduces ammount of TP gained by enemies when striking them." I know for a fact that Subtle Blow reduces the ammount of TP enemies gain from magic/ninjutsu as well. Knowing that, and given that items work with the same "casting bar" process, I can see why Spider-Dan had to ask to be sure.

Comment

I believe both Fast Cast and Chainspell effects only spells.

You could test it with a mule and some cheap food if you want to make sure, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X