Order of AF+1 upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Order of AF+1 upgrades

I'm looking at getting my first AF+1 upgrade for RDM soon, {All Right!}. So what would you all choose as your first peice to upgrade? I looked at the stats and at how I can maybe optimized my inventory, i.e. free up a slot... seems AF+1 Tabard would be my first choice, followed by gloves, boots, hat, and legs.

Thing is, I actually use my AF legs quite a bit, lacking serious competition in the slot, however the +1 only adds mp+5 mnd+2. And I swap for mahatma's when I need its superior +mnd anyway, even when soloing. The boots and gloves really are nice boosts, but to me qualify as soloing gear only. At the present I use ogre +1 in those slots, but that's my offensive build. I figure the +mnd and +int on these will mean I can stop swapping to RSE/wise/errant for some castings and enjoy the +parry/shield on these when melee soloing. And they'll really boost up the defensive build I'm working on....

Gloves: def+1 mp+5 dex+2 int+2 mnd+2 parry+5
    Boots: def+2 mp+5 int+3 mnd+3

So now pimp hat +1 vs tabard +1:

Tabard: mp+20 interrupt -2% hMP +5
    Pimp hat: def+1 mp+5 int+2

I think if you look at these stat boosts over the NQ AF and pretend you're choosing a DM or AN uber earring, the choice is obvious.

While nothing is as pimp as a pimp hat +1 (except naturally an AF2 pimp hat), the stat boost is very mild. Pimp hat does get a lot of use for fast cast, i.e. equiping it before casting any spell and dequipping for the real gear swap after casting has begun if the spell doesn't benefit from int/elemental. But in such cases only fast cast matters. And when elemental/int is needed for the spell being cast, then +2 int is still not very big.

On the other hand, the Tabard is used exclusively for enfeebles and -interrupt casts like stoneskin while going solo. But what I'm looking at, with my gobbie bag at 56/60 under the best of circumstances, is leaving my errant body in storage. Tabard +1 gets the +5hmp which is primarily what I use the errant hpl. for. I use Chasuble when doing dark/elemental and tabard for enfeebling, which only leaves the errant's +10 mnd boost and -3 enmity on my healing spells that I'd be sacrificing. And I think +34 mp on my resting body armor wouldn't be too bad at all..

Down the road I'll pick up some yigit armors for +hmp, +MAB, and ideally refresh effect and use that as a resting set until I get near the top of my pool and need to swap in +mp gears.... but that is quite a way down the road. I don't count much on obtaining any AF2 because I lot so horribly in Dynamis, but I probably should at least look at the stats and see if for each slot the AF2 item just trumps what I'd use the AF+1 item for.

That's just me... What do my fellow red mages think on this subject?
    Madrone Hume Female Leviathan Server
    75: RDM MNK BLM PLD BRD subs: NIN WAR DRK BLU WHM SCH DNC RNG
    AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5
    Merits 384/506, Bastok rank 10, Merc rank 10

Re: Order of AF+1 upgrades

Speaking from experience, I'd say go with getting Tabard+1 first. I wish I did. I got Hat+1 out of pure frustration with hunting Euhvi Organs for Relaxing earring, and I would have done any thing for extra damage to speed it up, even if it was minimal. Now that I have the earring, I can honestly say that I feel no different with the hat+1 than the NQ. Gravity isnt that much stronger, bind doesn't last that much longer and it just pisses off BLMs (since its +10 ele skill and 5 int in one slot).

I'm 20 coins out from getting Tabard+1 (AF+1 piece #4, both Rare/EX items sitting in MH storage, collecting dust) and I'm itching to get it since I am temporarily locked out of my AF set that is in NPC storage.

There are members of my LS that have +1 hands; 1 uses it primarily for the +INT and +MND in one slot, while the other got it more for the +DEX and +parry (shes a very melee heavy RDM, @Stage 3 on Mandau). The one who uses them for its magery stuff also got a Tabard+1 later.

If you haven't received it already, don't forget about the Loquac. Earring. While it only gives between 1%~3% Fast Cast (its varies from cast to cast), no +INT or +MND, +30 MP in an earring slot is nothing to shake a fist at. Also seeing spells go off @<50% without AF2 body is wonderful. I my Loqauc/Magnetic combo, I wouldn't trade it for anything .

Sorry for getting a bit off topic
    sigpic
    Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

Finally got the Tabard +1. Had the upgrade items forever, and missed chance to lot on 3 RDM AF upgrade item drops since it took so long to get the 30 coins for the upgrade. That's what I get for getting a Brutal Earring right before getting the last AF upgrade item. Oh well. Brutal Earring's very nice on MNK. And Magnetic + Loquacious is in the works, now 5/75 coins for Loquacious, and got Magnetic awhile ago.

Next upgrade will be the hat, even if it sets back getting Loquacious. Those Euhvi frustrate me too, though I've got elemental merits so taking them down is not hard, just slow. I can't believe I flagged Sanative Earring by mistake originally and didn't know it. Finally got my 5th organ and went to receive my Relaxing Earring, only to get about the most useless item in the game. ; ;
      AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5

Comment

I guess it depends on what kind of Red Mage you are. I have full AF2 and don't use any special melee-only type equipment to solo, and with so many jobs my inventory space is at a premium, so I'd never waste time/items/coins on the boots or gloves. I got the Tabard first and am now working towards the pants, and will upgrade the hat to complete my Fast Cast setup if/when I get the items for it. Of course I also have 3 other jobs to consider AF+1 for, so my upgrading is slow.
        Gia - Sandy Rank 10
        RDM75/WHM75/BLM75/BRD75/SMN62/PLD61

Comment

Sadly, when I did dynamis I was unlucky. Now I don't have time for it. I can just barely cram a full set of melee gear, but usually leave it at home. Only 2x crimson, 2x yigit, 4x wise, 0x zenith, 0xAF2 as far as magey sets go.

Comment

Tabard and Chapeau are the best upgrades by far. Tabard for Convert and Chapeau for the +2 Int. I don't see why you'd leave the Errant body in storage, the +10 Int/Mnd and -enmity are too good to pass on.

Comment

Tabard +1 can take the place of Errant Hpl. upon resting and no need to switch back to other mp body upon near mp max ^^)b. The extra 20mp and -2% spell interruption is just so and so in my 2 cents.

The Boots +1 has extra int (+3) but for + mind, I would switch to Errant Pigaches anyway, so the incentive for upgrading is for the +3 int, yet I have the RSE 2 feet, so not much incentive for me =( .

The Gloves +1 has increased dex, parrying, mind and int. The real incentive is on the extra +2 dex, +5 parry, +2 int/mnd, of which the +2 mnd, +2 dex and +5 parrying are very difficult to replace. I would say its a very good upgrade for solo and party, despite not great improvement.

The Tights +1 has no real incentive as I will swop in Errant Slops for mnd (and int) anyway, so no incentive for upgrading >o<

Chapeau +1, +2 int and +5mp on hat gear is nice to have, especially the plus int is very difficult to obtain on hat gears with mp bonus. Good incentive ^^)b.

So to me (elvaan), the priority will be:

Chapeau +1
              Gloves +1
              Tabard +1
              Boots +1
              Tight +1

But thats just for me and my present gear. Overall, I found the AF1+1 not that attractive =|

Comment

Originally posted by swingfly View Post
                Tabard and Chapeau are the best upgrades by far. Tabard for Convert and Chapeau for the +2 Int. I don't see why you'd leave the Errant body in storage, the +10 Int/Mnd and -enmity are too good to pass on.
                I only use it for for Cures.

Then there's always that dramatic drop from full mp to -250ish from full when casting, well about anything due to gear changes. The fewer peices of gear with 0 +mp, the better. A little -enmity on cures and a few extra hp healed is not really that important. I suppose I'd consider it /WHM gear only, now thatI have three body pieces that have +5 hMP.

Comment

Working...
                X