Is it easy to lvl wit RDM?

FFXI Info:

Name:Arcticie
    Race: TaruTaru
    Job: RDM/32,BLM/15
    Server: Kujata
    Skills: 86/87

Re: Easy Leveling???

easy to get group yes. But playing Rdm requires quite a lot of concentration if you want to play good.

attacking jobs are considered easier to play. Altho they are harder to get into group.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

so can i be a red mage and a samurai???

FFXI Info:

Comment

you can change job anytime you like in your mog house. So don't worry about getting stuck with 1 jobs. Once you get the game you can try as many jobs as you like.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Only if you give back some of those question marks you stole off some poor, unsuspection questions somewhere. Now they're out there, shivering in the cold, hoping someone will answer them even though they look more like statements.

If you're asking whether you can be a RDM/SAM or SAM/RDM (as in job/subjob), sure you can but not very many people are going to want to party with you past level 20 or so. If you're asking if you can be a RDM, and also level SAM separately, of course. There are no restrictions on what jobs you level.

Edit: I really need to proofread better when I reword sentences.
          Last edited by Ellipses; 06-23-2006, 11:41 AM.
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

Generally accepted sub jobs for rdm in party situations are blm and whm. Most rdm will eventually have smn, nin, drk and maybe brd levelled to be used as needed. Rdm/sam will not get you many parties once you get past 20 or so, as has been noted before.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
            "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

o iight thanx

FFXI Info:

Comment

At the hours I can play, there is a severe lack of tanks. (I "camp" PLD's, WAR's, and NIN's every time I want to party on RDM.) I suspect your invite rate will be determined in large by how many tanks compared to how many other Red Mages and/or White Mages and/or Summoners seeking, like myself.

Around Lv.41, invite rate should pick up, as you role as support player in party will be consider nearly as indispensable as a tank, but you'll still competing with Bards and Corsairs. Of course, if there's no tank, there's still no party...

Red Mage is a very busy job, and its workload only increases as you level. I don't recommend it as a beginner's first mage job; Black Mage is much better for that. If you want to play Red Mage, though, learn how to use macros ASAP if you haven't. For example, I have many macros like:

For curing party members; press this, then hit F1-F5 to select members, or use D-pad (up) (down)
                /echo >> Cure -stpc- <<
                /ma "Cure" <stpc>

For sleeping links and monsters too tough for party (so you can run away); sleep will wear off immediately if someone hits the monster to wake it, so you need to warn people you're casting it.
                /p [Casting spell] [Sleep] -> <<stnpc>> <call8>
                /ma "Sleep" <lastst>
                /p [Disengage] [Please] -- [Sleep] -> <<lastst>> <call8>

I think most RDM's have tons of macros; I know I can't function at all without mine. By the way, since you'll be casting a lot of spells, don't put party chat in your macros except for stuff like Sleep; they'll just fill up the chat logs of everyone for no reason. No one in party needs to be informed everytime you're casting "Cure", "Paralyze", and etc.
                Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura
                  I think most RDM's have tons of macros; I know I can't function at all without mine. By the way, since you'll be casting a lot of spells, don't put party chat in your macros except for stuff like Sleep; they'll just fill up the chat logs of everyone for no reason. No one in party needs to be informed everytime you're casting "Cure", "Paralyze", and etc.
                  Oh, and for the sake of all that's good and holy, please, please, please don't put a /p or /emote command in your Refresh macro. People know when you're doing it right when they see the {MP} symbol on their status effect list when they need it, not by how many times they see {Refresh} -> Someplayer.

Icemage

Comment

/p refreshing <lastst>!!!
                    an old school macro xD everyone used to do that, including me.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

LOL

I personally use the ...

/recast "Refresh"
                      /ma "Refresh" <st>
                      /wait 1
                      /echo Casting Refresh on <lastst>
                      /wait 20
                      /echo Refresh ready to be used.

I think the last /echo isn't so important, but sometimes when there's down time, it saves me having to keep checking to see if Refresh is ready or not. Notice the /echo lines which will allow me to see the message, but no one else. Why I put that first /echo after casting the spell? Cause, <lastst> is not reliable at the beginning due to the fact that the last thing you targetted will be named (So having the "Refreshing Orcish Dragqueen" message is kinda annoying)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni
                        LOL

I personally use the ...

/recast "Refresh"
                        /ma "Refresh" <st>
                        /wait 1
                        /echo Casting Refresh on <lastst>
                        /wait 20
                        /echo Refresh ready to be used.

I think the last /echo isn't so important, but sometimes when there's down time, it saves me having to keep checking to see if Refresh is ready or not. Notice the /echo lines which will allow me to see the message, but no one else. Why I put that first /echo after casting the spell? Cause, <lastst> is not reliable at the beginning due to the fact that the last thing you targetted will be named (So having the "Refreshing Orcish Dragqueen" message is kinda annoying)
                        There is a disturbing lack of Orcish Drag Queens in the game, unfortunately.

But thank you so much for extolling the virtues of /echo. More mages need to take that to heart.

Comment

I don't use echo much because the way /wait is cancelled when using another macro. This makes a Refresh macro with a reminder of when it's available somewhat useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Esoa
                            I don't use echo much because the way /wait is cancelled when using another macro. This makes a Refresh macro with a reminder of when it's available somewhat useless.
                            I'd still rather it was in echo rather than /p. It's going to get interrupted regardless, but at least I don't have to hear about it every time the RDM uses the spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                              I'd still rather it was in echo rather than /p. It's going to get interrupted regardless, but at least I don't have to hear about it every time the RDM uses the spell.
                              Yea of course. It just seems that the best use of echo is to remind me of something, but if the /wait doesn't work then it's not worth using. I don't think I have echo in any of my macros, and /p only in a couple where it's worthwhile for the PT to know something (like sleeping or weaponskills).

Comment

Working...
                              X