This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What keeps you playing?

Just wondering what keeps the motors running on the RDMs on this forum. I dont see myself as well versed as the lot of you that I talk and converse with daily, and a lot of times it's evident i'm lacking experience XD, so I'm wondering what keeps you guys moving on into RDMness.

I'm asking cause I'm running out of gas. MY taste of RL hasnt worn off, and while I love messing around and being All That I Can Be in the RDM Army, I often find it difficult to pull 3 hours of exp in a week.

So, what inspires you all to keep Refreshing, Dispeling, Enfeebling?
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Re: What keeps you playing?

I simply don't. xD

I've gotten 12 levels in the past 10 months on my RDM. I went from October 2004 to April 2005 (7 months) and only got 6 levels. Then I went on a small binge, now Im learning to XP RDM for 3-4 hours like 2-4 times a week. (Plus I do ENMs and Ballista a lot now, so that helps).

Edit to add:
    You know everyone thinks RDM is the fast track to 75, second only to BRD. Only a bad RDM will get to 75 as fast as people know RDMs and BRDs can. A BRD I saw before in Boyahda Tree had the bazaar comment:
    "If you're enjoying XPing your job, you're not doing it good enough." I completely agree with that statement. A suck-ass RDM would enjoy his fast invites, quick leveling, and low-stress work. A good RDM would be stressed out and overburdened by the effort they put out on their own choice to be great.
    Last edited by Sepukku; 07-16-2005, 07:40 AM.

Windurst Rank 10. ZM14. CoP M5-2.
    RDM->62 (AF Completed), MNK->62 (AF Completed).

Comment

I think I was lucky in being in a pretty slow-moving set party when I leveled rdm. I never got bored because we didn't get to level that often so I always looked forward to meeting up for exp. After I got to 75 my time is spent just roaming around doing nothing/everything.

Best advice would be to never rush leveling. It is not a race to 75. If it gets boring, why not level Blm or maybe even Sam or something, it might make you look forward to some Enfeebling/Refreshing again.

Comment

join lower level PTs with some bad Rdm. That makes me feel so good about myself I evne wanna restart a new Rdm just to go around showing how good I am.

ok well... in PTs it's kinda sleepy but it's always good to know you're doing what other ppl like. levelling is also something everyone has to go through. Rdm is really fun in other situations however that makes the job worth levelling up for .
        Last edited by Jei; 07-16-2005, 12:12 PM.
        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Quite a bit I guess. Drive to better my character. The many friends I've made. New stuff SE constantly keeps adding, despite seeming far and few, it allows time to actually come close to earning it. Hell, even the 'rivals' you may make help motivate me to continue. I genuqinely like the style and long term-ness of XI. While on one hand it's frustrating you can't devote a chunk of time and get everything you want for sure like many other games, it allows you to waste even more time trying to earn stuff :D

Comment

join lower level PTs with some bad Rdm. That makes me feel so good about myself I evne wanna restart a new Rdm just to go around showing how good I am.
            :sweat::sweat:

I am a molasses paced leveler but I love to be the best I can at anything I enjoy.

I would put as much into any job as I do into RDM

Hori retreated from battle. What a coward.
            Hori
            San d'Oria
            RDM/BLM/WHM
            (´ ゜ω゜`)
            Don't like to haste our precious NIN tank? You're not RDM, then. -Apple Pie/Grendal

Comment

I love RDM and what they do in EXP parties and can do out of EXP parties.. Not to mention I am normally keeping busy so I dont get to level all the time(farming and helping others alot). So when I do level RDM it is 1 level every few days now(when I can get on, which hasnt been at all really for this last month really). Also I usually level with a friend as of late(PLD friend leveld with me in several exp parties from 40-50). So that makes leveling not so bad(someone to talk to and all). But normally after 1 level in a day I am done, totlaly burnt out from leveling. So I go back out and have fun killing weak stuff and finding stuff I wish i could kill. Which then drives me to want to level again ^.^

Comment

In general I have a lot more drive to level any job if there's some cool gear/JA/spell/etc to get.
                Only thing that's been like that lately though has been BST.
                As for RDM...well...I haven't made an effort to get XP or merits in quite a long time. Haven't needed to, the occasional LS invites and sky farming keep my XP capped or close to it. Big thing that pushed me into the 70s was having a static party really. I level slowly compared to most I think, usually not too interested in grinding out XP. But having a static that met like 5x a week, even though it was pretty slow XP (PLD, DRG, etc >_>), kept me moving forward.

FFXI Blog

Comment

Being the puller in Kuftal Tunnel ^^ It's a great break from the norm...sort of ^^

Comment

well that actually made me feel better ^^

I'm here thinking something is wrong with me for not having the drive to level, but from what i'm reading, it seems to be fairly normal. Ah well. I got to 63 today. I think if i exp a lil each week, i can get 1-2 levels a week at a steady pace. Sometimes i'm not too eager to exp, and other times I get bored cause I'm not. I guess the message I'm getting from you all is to simply take it in stride and not to get too stressed out?
                    The Tao of Ren

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

I set a rather easy goal for myself. I try to get 10k exp a week on the character I'm currently trying to lvl. I usually exceed my goal but I don't feel bad if thats all I get since thats all I expect. This way I can go and do other things in game and not feel like I'm slacking. LOL So ya, take it in stride and don't stress yourself out, its a game and if its not entertaining you then its no longer worth it to play.
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Ok, i have been revitalized in the RDM Domain. what revved me up is the realization that only RDMs can do certain things that other pts dont dreeeeeam of!!

For one, I'll admit that the Ungar solo vid greatly upset/impressed me. Makes me want to learn how to solo by sleep/nuke/kite. I'm old fashioned, so I like being able to bring my sword down on somethings head .

For another, out of all the "necessary" or "hyped up" jobs, RDMs are among the few that can survive without PTs. Can a BRD solo an IT, let alone an EP? No, BRDs die to EPs unless they sub NIN and get extremely lucky. Can RNGs solo anything? No, RNGs have shyte Def and Eva, in addition to no modifiers, so yeah, RNGs suck without pts as well.

Maybe I'm rambling, as I normally do, but I realize that there is no use trying to BE something when I already AM something ^^ I'm suprised I didnt know that by now
                        The Tao of Ren

Comment

See, RDM is perfect for me. From professional and personal projects, I need to be doing multiple things at once. So it's a perfect fit for me.

I found that playing DRK I was checking what my TNL was every 2 minutes. When leveling RDM, I don't have that all. All of a sudden "DING!", and I've leveled.

I once read a post here that said the ideal RDM has ADD. With all the things we have to do, it actually keeps our attention. It's never been suggested that I had ADD, but I can see where that thought came from. lol
                          Odude
                          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

The fact that I just bought Phalanx for 1/5th its original price has geared up my interest towards Redmage...however, I don't plan to start for a bit.
                            All spells obtained!
                            Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

The exp grind as RDM doesn't really bother me. It's like a natural thing, I just do it. And plus, it's best not to think of your exp bar as a "oh man, thats a long way to go until I level up" kind of sense. Just dedicate some set time per day and as your exp bar progresses, you'll notice that, sooner or later, it won't be long until you can finally expect that level up theme song!
                              Altaeciana:75RDM/40BLM/71WHM/40SMN/37NIN/37DRK/40RNG/37WAR
                              Elemental days of our lives . . .:Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Thunder-Light-Dark

Comment

Working...
                              X