Is my defense normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my defense normal?

I'm a level 71 paladin, and I have about 350 defence. Is this a normal value? It seems like it should be much higher.

Setup is:
    Weapon: Joyeuse
    Shield: RK Shield
    Head: Gallant Coronet
    Body: Gallant Surcoat
    Gloves: Gallant Gauntlets
    Legs: Gallant Breeches
    Feet: Gallant's Gauntlets
    Ring1: Jelly Ring
    Ring 2: Verve Ring
    Ranged: Bibiki Seashell
    Earring1: Mercenary Earring
    Earring2: Drone Earring
    Neck: Parade Gorget
    Back: Knight's Mantle
    Belt: Warwolf Belt

Sorry if this is kind of a stupid question, but I'm OCD and have to know if my value is right.
    MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Re: Is my defense normal?

Defense and Vitality are over-rated, but your RK Shield, Verve Ring, and earrings concern me. I would definately attempt to find a General's or Admiral's Shield, +Skill Earrings, a Life Belt, and a ring that offers more than just Vitality.

Eventually people wont invite you to parties unless you can /Nin with DD gear, so it's not a bad idea to invest now. Finances willing, I'd start with a Haub, Amemet Mantle +1, and Woodsman Rings.

Comment

Well I got a life belt, NQ Amemet Mantle+1,and I have a shield(its a lvl 72/73-forgot) ready when I need it. Any specific earrings you can recommend?
      MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

kinda depends what you want to do
        Weeee of Kujata(Main)
        PLD 75
        Ninja 75
        RDM 75
        THF: 75
        RNG: 75
        BST: 75
        BLM: 70
        Mule1
        BLM: 75
        Mule2
        THF: 71
        Heeeeeee(RL GF):
        Mnk, BRD, WAR ,BLM: 75
        Cooking: 96
        ClothCraft 94+5
        http://staronionbrigade.com/ My Blog

Fyi: No Excalibur or aegis(working on aegis) rest is legit ;o

Comment

buy a general's shield...the beast killer really helps. then koenig shield at 73.
          Made by Eohmer!

Comment

I disagree with the lifebelt, Warwolf's enmity is too good to pass up in most situations (the str/dex/vit is nice too, but the enmity is definitely the main selling point).

I'd recommend Hercules for the second ring slot. Enmity is important at higher levels where DDs do more damage; there's nothing else as beneficial that you can get in a ring slot. Sattva is even better if you can get it, but you have to complete all CoP missions, which can be pretty tough.

If you're having trouble holding hate, consider high breath mantle, too.

As for earrings, there aren't any really good ones that aren't ridiculously expensive, or worse, ex and really hard to get (24-hour-pop NMs, quests that require completing all CoP missions, stuff like that). What you have is fine for leveling, though.

350 sounds about right for someone who doesn't have any of the real endgame gear yet. Enmity is often more of a challenge than getting hit too hard (against normal mobs, at least). 500+ def is more of an HNM setup with food and Defender than something you would use commonly in exp.

At 73, check out the adaman cuirass set. You may not want to wear all of it, but some pieces may be better than anything else you have.

Once you get to 74 or 75, come back and look at Dak's advice. Until then ignore it. (No offense - it's good advice, just not yet.)
            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Besides Life Belt, Potent Belt (lvl 60 DEF:5 STR+3 Accuracy+8) maybe a nice option too. I think Warwolf Belt is fine too, only if the build does not focus heavily on TP-gain from hitting the mob. There is more than one way for PLD to perform his task, depends on situation.
              Server: Quetzalcoatl
              Race: Hume Rank 7
              75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

No Hercules's Ring?? Get that if you can. Switch Drone out with Buckler Earring. Shield should be General's/Admiral's til you're 73 (for Koenig/Kaiser). 73 will be Adaman (yes it looks ugly but it's the best armor besides getting Valor or Koenig (which most cases is never used on exp)). And that's about it. That's a DEF and old school PLD set up. Unless you're on a burn party, then if you are, you're going DD gear >.>.

JP

brave; integritous; commanding
                New sig. Thank you Graelinn of BeastInTheSack (Garuda)
                75 ナイト, 37 戦士, 31 忍者, 18 シーフ, 16 モンク, 8 侍, others: level 1 T_T.
                ナイト 怒 (いかり)(Level 75 ナ/Level 37 戦)

Comment

is that with food and buffs? or just normal. Cuz with food and buffs and set for tanking my nin has 590ish defense lol

edit: that def sounds a lil low min ima go waste some gil and ill get real #
                  [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit View Post
                    is that with food and buffs? or just normal. Cuz with food and buffs and set for tanking my nin has 590ish defense lol
                    edit: that def sounds a lil low min ima go waste some gil and ill get real #
                    Sev, you're 75 as nin? Just wondering seeing I think NIN can pump 590ish DEF with food (Pescatora) and Buffs. Seeing we PLD's have no access to god gear (some of which have high DEF values), you can reach that value as a NIN faster than a PLD can. For me, I pretty much get around the average of 450 to 480 (that's 2 pieces of Koenig gear) pre-buffs and break 600+ when I get buffs and Pescatora. He's also 71 (from what he said) which should be around 360+. And he doesn't have Generals'/Admirals' Shield which I believe has 10 more DEF than his shield. Other than that, yes, I believe that's pretty basic on the DEF total of a PLD at 71 pre-Adaman/Koenig.

JP

brave; integritous; commanding
                    New sig. Thank you Graelinn of BeastInTheSack (Garuda)
                    75 ナイト, 37 戦士, 31 忍者, 18 シーフ, 16 モンク, 8 侍, others: level 1 T_T.
                    ナイト 怒 (いかり)(Level 75 ナ/Level 37 戦)

Comment

With tav. taco,protect IV and defender up, my def is a little over 750. Defender you can always have up so it's not really a temporary buff. I could be wrong and i'll have to check when i get home but i'm pretty sure the 750ish def is right. Unbuffed i sit around 425 i think.
                      Made by Eohmer!

Comment

Working...
                      X