Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paladins a doomed job?

Originally posted by Khevn
    Part of the problem is you believe that PLD is unscrutably a tank, with the right equipment you can put out impressive numbers in melee, get some gear and market your self and you could land a DD/support role and land more parties. Just a theory I have. I'm going to be presenting myself more that way after i get back from a class in Florida for two weeks. Guess my comment will read something like

PLD 75 War 37 Nin 37 flexible gear
    Merit exp ok! ToA Sky Luf
    Tank or DD Support, on all night (weekend) (long time) (whatever amount of time i can be on)

Hoping that might get me a boost in those merit parties I want! Hell with an exceptionally good nin, my MP pool might possibly be all the healing we need...
    I already tank in half-DD gear (hauby, royal guard's collar, espandon +1 instead of gluttony and so on) and my damage can't even be compared to that of other melees unless I'm eating sushi, but that just isn't possible thanks to Snatch Morsel and even then I probably deal at most around 60% of what a mediocre melee DD deals.

Oh and about that PLD+BRD+NIN idea I had earlier. It crashed and burned when the NIN I asked told me she absolutely needs Haste. Then I started thinking, is March from BRD a normal haste bonus or does it only affect melee attacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Irisjir Callard
      Bottom line? I would hands-down rather have a PLD than a NIN. But I'm just the whitemage, nbody ever asks me.
      Hell, my WHM is lvl 40, my DRG is 56, and I'm starting to main RDM. From all of my own experience, I would much rather refresh a paladin than play with a ninja. My ideal party setup with DRG involves using PLD, RDM, BLM, as opposed to NIN-and whatever else.

Comment

All i'm saying is you find other ways to exploit your class and your time, there are less parties out there especially after 70.
        1. Everyone is more involved in end game material
        2. Many different party types come to full bloom at this lvl
        3. If you check the Consensus PLD and Ninja's are the 2 most played classes, I do beleive. So your up agianst the second largest population for groups. Maybe even the largest being that most groups need 2-3 DD's usually and everyone most often times usually only needs one tank, factor in that another job type becomes a very excellent tank the War/nin, and your going up agianst Huge competition.
        4. in a community like FFXI your reputation will make or break you. In a highly competive field where reputation is factored in, you have to be playing your job nearly perfect and constantly, as in new parties with many people being impressed with your skill, to spread your rep every night. A good rep for being conistent reliable and flexible will get you a party every night. Hell, I'm no where near this, I'm perpetually leaving the game for months at a time to go to other countries since i'm in the Armed services. Odds are, there is maybe a handful of people on the Midgar server that know me and most thought I quit when I come back ><. So your just gonna have to do what the rest of the PLD's do Farm/solo exp and wait patiently.
        "how broken everything about ToAU is."
        "Do you have Haruhi in your daily anime diet?"
        "ok... I've quit 5 times... and failed each time miserably... they need a patch for FFXI like those nicotine ones...."
        "Finally Quit this game"

Comment

The RDM then immediately leaves my PT and tells me he's sick of PLDs and how we're an absolutely useless job for anything but HNMs. Before I can reply he black lists me. In case anyone wants to know, the RDM in question was Justanotherface.
          This is what I find ironic. How the hell is a PLD gonna tank a HNM if they can't level up?
          Originally posted by Ellipses
          Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
          Originally posted by MCLV
          A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
          More Sig:

Comment

Khevn,

You're absolutely right. My friend who got chain 15s-17s in an exp party said that their tank was a PLD tank. He acted as both a tank AND as main healer. If the mobs go after someone else, he shoots cures to whoever needs it. A hume PLD at those levels (60sh) have impressive mp pool enough to at least spare some cures for other members of PT. Having a RDM/BRD in this situation is really crucial and a PLD who's fortunate enough to own a VC/RC can get 6mp/tick in that situation. Quite a lot of mp for healing me thinks.

PLDs do need to stop thinking so linearly and start thinking out of the box (Oft used cliche back when "shifting paradigms" was the in-lingo)

Comment

Have someone /tell the RDM for you and say ' Your sick of RDMs and how their absolutely useless job, gogo brd!

[Sky:O][Lufaise Meadows:O][FFXI PhotoAlbum]

SAM75/MNK36/WAR37/THF37/RNG37/NIN21/DRG16/DRK5/PLD16

Comment

Originally posted by Itatchi
                Have someone /tell the RDM for you and say ' Your sick of RDMs and how their absolutely useless job, gogo brd!

Oddly enough ... I thought most BRDs preferred NIN tanks. Meh.

Comment

I'm a Rdm and I don't mind PTing with PLD. Personally, when I form a PT I look for ninja first. And if there's no ninja around i'll grab a pld right away without feeling I'm gimping my PT or anything. There's only 2 tank jobs we can choose anyway.

I HATE people with the "PLD no thanks" mind set. These people just want a free ride for their level. Ninja makes it so much easier for mages this is true. People are just lazy.

Rdm and Brd are busy jobs. Rdms are even busier with PLD tanks. But seriously, when I see Rdm or Brd with "PLD no thanks" comments I just don't invite them. Even if I have a nin tank. I hate people with that kind of attitude.
                  There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                  but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                  transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Tanks are so rare anyway. I've even seen a PT formed up around a BST/WAR tank. orz

Comment

Originally posted by Itatchi

How is my job useless? I personaly have never seen a job in game that was useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadenmire
                        How is my job useless? I personaly have never seen a job in game that was useless.
                        /sea all PUP

Comment

Originally posted by Aelathir
                          /sea all PUP
                          PUPs arent useless a well trained PUP can bring you the paper , play fetch and sic on comand.

Comment

Regarding the OP:

That Red Mage was an ass. As a Red Mage, I find Ninja tanks to be quite boring. Usually theres not a lot of mages, so no refresh (which is what I enjoy doing). The Ninja can take care of most all of the enfeebling, so none of that for me. Theres usually no skillchain, so no magic burst. Ninja's either hardly ever take damage so no curing, or are shitty at their job and can't keep up utsusemi to save their life and become MP sinks. Basically, my job with a Ninja is usually dumbed down to Haste and Curaga...

I find PLD to be a lot more enjoyable to work with, and the vast majority of my friends who tank things for me are PLD.
                            RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
                            Bastok Rank 10 Completed
                            Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
                            Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
                            Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

I agree with a NIN...its either you find an awesome NIN in which you dont do anything worthwhile and i sit with 900/1000 if not max mp all the time...or they suck and they either burn through my MP all of a sudden(like no dmg so i am sorta relaxed..then ALL of a sudden bam orange....omgwtfbbq), or just die and cause downtime. Its so funky and..wierd. Its either one or the other. PLDs are alot more consistant in general.

I will note that RDM ;i he aint getting an invite from me...thats not cool.

Comment

If they would give Paladins something like Provoke we wouldnt have a prob getting partys because we could Sub Ninja or something else. I actualy think Paladins deserve provoke more than Warriors.

Comment

Working...
                                X