The DD Paladin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DD Paladin

Well as an evacuee from Alla I thought I'd post and say first of all hello.

Anyway to the point, I've recently (read for about 2 months) been working on a DD build for PLD. This all started when at 66 Maat handed me a beating, well I ran out of time and decided when I went back the old man was in for a pasting. To cut a long story short it became an obsession.

What I'm interested in hearing is if anyone has any views / evidence as to how effective a DD a PLD is capable of becoming. I'm enbtering the last phase of sorting out the build with levelling NIN.

Current set up:

Company Sword
    Joyeuse
    Ammo / Ranged - unused
    Optical Hat
    Spike Necklace
    Spike Earring
    Earring 2 unused
    Haubergeon
    RSE Gloves
    STR +3 Ring
    Assailants Ring
    Ammemet +1
    Life Belt
    Royal Knights Breechers
    Rutter Sabatons

My remaining shopping list is an assault earring for ear slot 2 and the suppamanomi, 2 x STR +4 rings to replace current rings and something better for hands. Any suggestions / comments and yes I know this is basically a toy.

My tank build needs to be done as well, just curious as to what people know ^^

Re: The DD Paladin

I PT with a DD Pld once. Set up was 58-59 nin/war main tanking, pld/nin and thf/nin. I was blm, can't remember what other 2 are.
    We were able to pull chain 5 250+ exp pretty easily.
    He was able to flash at start to set up SATA for THF, and cover me when the anticans did their reset hate moves.
    Very impressive performance I must say.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

The only time I got to try DD PLD was while farming/soloing/questing. But I'll have to give this a try when I get bac up in levels again.

Of course with that kind of gear, it will probably be a while before I can try that exact setup out.

Comment

Your set up looks really nice. I am currently trying to put together a DD set up
        for Paladin/Ninja and I have a lot of the stuff you have. (no Ohat or Joy toy </cry>).

I would definitely use the Suppa in your other earring slot if you plan on going pld/nin.
        Another earring to pair with the suppa would be a brutal, but I realize those do not
        grow on trees You might want want to use a Royal Guards and then macro in
        Spike Necklace for Weaponskills. Oh, for hands I bought Tarasque Mitts. (NOTE: I
        haven't tried to DD in a party yet, only tried it out soloing easy prey mobs)

I have heard that the expansion areas have some good places to try out "burn"
        parties so I want to try out my DD set up bad. I would love to hear how you do with
        yours.

Comment

DD PLD can work but you have to have a ton of gil to make it happen. While it can work, you'll usually find that a DD PLD spending 100mils of gil will likely be outdamaged by a NQ WAR or NIN in meripo.

Example: I've PTed with Griffith on Bahamut who has INSANE DD gear including fully upgraded relic sword. My NIN outdamaged him by roughly 100 a fight in U. Range and my gear wasn't even all that hot at the time (No byakkos, NQ Hauby etc).
          Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
          http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

I really had no intention of trying to outdamage anyone, IMO that would be a lost
            cause and I don't have the gil to support that.

I just want to be able to contribute in a merit party instead of getting frustrated
            b/c I can't hold hate off of DD's that are crushing vt mobs.

Also I have found that I can solo a decent chunk of exp in Sea or the ToAU areas
            using a DD set up. Getting 1-2k experience in a night soloing doesn't sound like
            much, but it helps make up for the experience lost here and there without having
            to spend my time looking for group.

Comment

For the legs there are the Galliard Trousers (DEF: 30, STR+2, VIT+2, DEX-2, AGI-2, MND-2, INT-2, CHR-2, RA+5, Attack+5) which seem pretty good to me. Not sure if you are in an HNM shell or not, but these drop off of Kurrea in Lufaise Meadows which is a pretty fun fight.

Then there are also the PLD AFv2 legs (Valor Breeches: DEF: 40, STR+5, Spell Interruption Rate -10%) which are good for macro-ing into WSs. These drop from Dynamis-Beaucedine.

Comment

Thanks some great suggestions here, for reference I'm not yet doing Dynamis or in an HNMLS they're next on my wish list one I complete my subs. Ninja right now is 25 so a few weeks to 40 then just RDM from 10 - 40 and I'm all set.

My intention is to start on Dynamis as soon as my subs are done and once I have the valor set in place go find a good HNMLS and start on trying to get Koenig and Crimson Greeves. I know its going to be a hard road but hey I also want excalibur so I know I've got a lot to do

Comment

I carry a set of damage oriented gear with me whenever I go out on paladin- the added acc and evasion tends to help better moreso than the overkill on def. I have to get back to class but I'll write up my gear settings once I return.

Comment

PLDs can put up respectable DD numbers, but we're not as good as a true DD. I did break 1,000 damage on decos with a Vorpal Blade (and I'm still missing quite a bit of +STR gear for WSes). I also do enough damage through DD'ing to pull hate off NINs halfway through Hakutaku fights.

Having DD gear is definitely handy to have. Sometimes you can, or need to, swap in DD pieces during exp. Sometimes it's just nice having 400+ base attack as PLD/NIN before food.

Be like a Paladin.
                    Take the hit, shrug it off, and ask if their mom hits any harder.

Comment

What about using a Byrnie or Brynie +1?

I seemed a little surprised that no one has mentioned that yet. Any reasons as to why? I know they're rare and expensive, but that can't be the only reason.
                      Nation: San d'Oria, Rank 6
                      Current Missions:
                      • San d'Oria Mission 6-1
                      • Zilart Mission 4
                      • CoP Mission 2-2

Paladin 64 / Warrior 34
                      Crafts:
                      • Woodworking 52
                      • Smithing 23
                      • Goldsmithing 15
                      • Alchemy 15
                      • Fishing 11
                      • Clothcraft 4
                      • Cooking 4
                      • Leathercraft 3
                      • Bonecraft 1

Comment

PLD/NIN is a really nice DD combo in the ToAH areas from what I've heard, never got a chance to try it myself since I've been leveling WAR lately

http://corrderio.livejournal.com/ - Rants and other crap on my mind.

Comment

My friend is trying to put together a setup that looks something like this:

Mainrincely Sword(Doesn't have)/Company Sword(Has this)
                          Sub:Joyeuse(Has this)
                          Ammo:Tiphia Sting(Has this)
                          Head:Walahra Turban(Close)
                          Hands:Dusk Gloves +1(lol, good luck)
                          Body:Abtal Jawshan(EDIT: Abtal Sold on Bismarck for 8MIL, depending on how good the crit% is, tihs could be good.)
                          Legs:Galliard Trousers(Has this)
                          Feet:Homam Gambieras(lmao, good luck man)
                          Back:Forager's Mantle(Has this)
                          Ear:Supanomimi(Has this)
                          Ear:Brutal Earring(Getting there)
                          Finger:Rajas Ring(Has it)
                          Finger:Woodsman's Ring(Has it)/Toreador's Ring(Working on it)
                          Neck:Fortitude Torque(>.>)
                          Waist:Speed Belt(Working on it)

Looks pretty insane to me...(and that's just his TP gear) If he gets this worked out I'd love to see the parse of it.

Well, assuming he can get a BRD to play Minuet/March instead of Minuet/Minuet and has haste spell on him this setup could get him capped haste(I don't know what the chances of that are, but sounds good)
                          Last edited by TenchiHawkwing; 05-07-2006, 09:18 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

What about using a Byrnie or Brynie +1?
                            Well, the reason i dont opt for wearing a Byrnie or even a +1, is because im a Meat Eater when i go DDing as PLD.

Since i eat meat, i need to wear Acc wherever i can, things like Snipers, Lifebelt, Hauby, and an Optical hat.

If i ate Sushi, i dont think i would wear a Hauby, because i would have the Acc bonus from the sushi to make up for it, and in my mind, i need more attack. In this case, a Byrnie would seem like the perfect choice.

One thing that makes the Hauby > Byrnie (imo anyways), is that the Hauby has more STR, which is used for all physical WSs.

EDIT: Spelling

Comment

Here's my setup for Dweap as PLD/NIN:

Joyeuse
                              Company Sword
                              O hat
                              Peacock Charm
                              Coral Earring X2
                              Haubergeon
                              Enkelado's brc.
                              Rajas Ring
                              Ruby Ring
                              Amemet +1
                              Warwolf Belt
                              Galliard Trousers
                              Rudder Sabatons

I'm able to pull out 7-800 damage Vorpal Blades on weapons, but to be honest I prefer NIN burn. I can't help but feel gimp.
                              | PLD 75 | NIN 75 | SAM 72 | BRD 75 | RNG 48 | BLM 40 | WHM 37 |
                              Leader of the Templars of Baldur

Comment

Working...
                              X