Darksteel Cap +1Level: 65 Def:22
    • Resist vs. Light +2
    • Resist vs. Dark +2
    • Physical Damage Taken -2%
    vs.

Gilt Armet Level: 60 Def:25
    • Vitality +3
    • Resist vs. Dark +4
    Between these two pieces of head gear. Which is prefered. Is it VIT+3 or Physical DMG -2%.

Most normal exp monsters range from with attacks of about 60-120 in which case the head piece will subtract 1.2 to 2.4 dmg points with Darksteel cap. But does the +2 vit trully subtract more than that?

Also is there a soft cap where X amount of dmg makes Darksteel Cap > Gold Armet?

Double Post Edited:
    Sorry to reply to this myself but it seems I figured out the prefered piece. I'm still intrested in hearing other's opinion on the matter ^^
    Last edited by kman; 12-10-2005, 10:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://kofman2155.blogspot.com/

Re: Gold Armet vs. Darksteel Cap+1

According to the damage formula Apple Pie has often quoted and explained (I believe it was Studio Gobli that figured it out?) STR adds to your weapon's DMG, but it's not simple subtraction, there's function that applies. Apple Pie has said that in general, it takes 4 STR to add 1 to your weapon's DMG. It could be less depending on the situation I suppose, but I honestly doubt at these levels it's even possible to have 1 VIT subtract 1 damage directly. That being said, they'd probably both be about the same, but the cap would subtract more on high damage TP attacks.

Comment

I choose the gilt armlet because I hate the cap graphic... ; ; the helmet looks better. and I like the vit bonus too. these are all pure Superstitous tho
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

stay with the af head
        enimity is more important than most think, especially xp pt.(Thats why people love the AFv2 piece, enimity galore).

BUT for the sake of this thread i would go with the +VIT one personally. Since it also offers higher def
        unless the mob hits your amazingly hard. -2% not worth it
        Weeee of Kujata(Main)
        PLD 75
        Ninja 75
        RDM 75
        THF: 75
        RNG: 75
        BST: 75
        BLM: 70
        Mule1
        BLM: 75
        Mule2
        THF: 71
        Heeeeeee(RL GF):
        Mnk, BRD, WAR ,BLM: 75
        Cooking: 96
        ClothCraft 94+5
        http://staronionbrigade.com/ My Blog

Fyi: No Excalibur or aegis(working on aegis) rest is legit ;o

Comment

Honestly a 3-4 defense difference isn't going to do much when you consider that the enemy's attack will be...I don't know, maybe 300? They're both good choices, really...the difference should be slim on normal hits...just that the 2% damage reduction will reduce more on high damage physical moves as opposed to the fixed reduction from VIT. Enmity though...that's another story

Comment

To be honest I decided to go with the gilt. but listening more to the thread now makes me consider cap.

In regards to enmity after reading the following blog I came to agree with the way this ninja does things http://www.livejournal.com/users/rukenshin/9212.html#cutid1[/url

He simply macroes in all his emnity+ into provoke and maintains his evasion+ gear while tanking. This is very logical, as he exclaimed your emnity does not suddently disappear when changing gear. Puting in emnity+ into cures, abilities, provokes should still yield a simular effect. And the enmity lost while swinging I believe to be trully marginal.
            http://kofman2155.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've read of this approach many times, though most people have shunned it and have preferred to go with a permanent Enmity setup. I myself am hoping to try tanking with a Byrnie once I reach the appropriate level. Let me know how it works out for you, because I'm very curious ^^

Honestly though, use whichever helmet you like best. 2% of 500 is only 10 damage, as opposed to the 1-3 damage the Gilt Helm would've blocked with its slightly higher Def and its VIT. I guess that 7 damage COULD end up saving your ass, but...heh Up to you, really.

Comment

Honestly I think its a little dangerous to be constantly equip-switching as a PLD tank. If you are going to use that strategy I would stick with equips which don't cause target to unlock(such as rings, neck, back, ear, etc.) I've heard more than a couple healers complain when somebody switches gear right as they were about to cast magic, and I can imagine how annoying that may be. Hell, I've had a couple mages gripe at me for switching gear(as THF), alas its something I MUST do for my job. Just something to keep in mind.
                Typho - Elvaan - San d'Oria - Rank 10 - Titan

THF - 75 | RNG - 55 | NIN - 38 | WAR - 27 | WHM - 20 | SAM - 16 | MNK - 14 | BLM - 10

Comment

Working...
                X