Monk Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monk Questions

Was wanting to know some things about monks. Havent got the game yet but looking forward to beating the crap out of things.
    .1) Whats better to level to 18 first, WAR or MNK?
    .2) What subjobs do I need? (I was thinking THF, WHM, WAR, DNC, and NIN)
    .3) What city should I start out in? (was thinking the Elvaan place. I dont remember the name)
    .4) Should i join a crafting guild? If so which should I join? (was thinking about sewing to make my own armor)
    Last edited by Titan; 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM.

Re: Monk Questions

First off I feel obligated to point out all of you'r questions can be answered by reading the stickies in either the Monk forum (Questions 1-2), Race & Job Type Q & A Forum (Question 3), and Crafting & Synthesis Forum (Question 4).

1. MNK because being able to sub MNK after lvl 18 will give you a big enmity boost with the MNK JA Boost
    2. WAR-NIN will be you'r main sub jobs but WHM-THF and to a lesser extent DRK-SAM-DRG all have certain advantages some at point in the game.
    3. What race are you going to choose because you get a ring if you choose a city that is supposed to be the home of your race. (Sandoria- Elvaan (Ring has STR/MND/DEF), Bastok- Galka/Hume (Ring has HP/VIT/DEX), Windurst- Tarutaru/Mithras (Ring has MP/INT/AGI)
    Last edited by Restlesstornado; 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM.
    RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
      Was wanting to know some things about monks. Havent got the game yet but looking forward to beating the crap out of things.
      .1) Whats better to level to 18 first, WAR or MNK?
      .2) What subjobs do I need? (I was thinking THF, WHM, WAR, DNC, and NIN)
      .3) What city should I start out in? (was thinking the Elvaan place. I dont remember the name)
      .4) Should i join a crafting guild? If so which should I join? (was thinking about sewing to make my own armor)
      1) MNK. If you're going for MNK main, for one, you can go MNK > 18, WAR > 37, MNK > 75. Also, of the six starting jobs, MNK suffers the least from the lack of a subjob from 1-18. (This is, of course, my opinion, but I'm right.)
      2) Looks like a decent list. You don't really need WHM. It's okay for solo work, especially before you can unlock extra jobs, but I'm guessing DNC would fill the same role, possibly better (no real experience there, though). For a long time, you really only need WAR. So go with that, and THF for farming. By the time you'd need anything else, you'll know what it is.
      3) Whatever one you like the most. It really doesn't matter for very long.
      4) Joining all the guilds is free. Should you actually do any crafting? Maybe. If you enjoy it. You're not very likely to be able to make your own armor very often. Crafting takes a huge commitment of time and gil; if you really want to make your own armor, you're going to have to not level your job(s) at all while you stop and level your craft(s) for a long time. Crafting has advantages, certainly, and almost everyone eventually starts leveling some kind of craft (at least that's my impression). But making your own armor is not one of those advantages for a long time.
      Ellipses on Fenrir
      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
        2) You don't really need WHM.
        It has been a long time since I have been able to play but the only use for Monks end game is Chi-Blast and /WHM is going to give you a huge boost to MND (the only mod that is applied to Chi-Blast)
        RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
        sigpic

Comment

I read those stickies but i thought they were out of date cause they were posted in 2006 so i wasent quite sure. And im going Galka (the big guys have always looked the coolest to me)

Comment

Originally posted by Titan View Post
            And im going Galka (the big guys have always looked the coolest to me)
            Galka is the way to go And those stickies are still upto date for the most part.... just not in dealing with the newest jobs as sub jobs I think.
            RESTLESSTORNADO OF RAMUH
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
              1) MNK. If you're going for MNK main, for one, you can go MNK > 18, WAR > 37, MNK > 75. Also, of the six starting jobs, MNK suffers the least from the lack of a subjob from 1-18. (This is, of course, my opinion, but I'm right.)
              The 24-37 stretch as WAR is kinda dicey as WAR/MNK. People will be expecting you to sub Ninja and shadow-tank for them and the "Olde Style" WAR/MNK tanking style has fallen out of favor considerably. Besides, you'll need NIN sub anyway, so doing MNK > 18, WAR > 18, MNK > 30, NIN > 37, WAR > 37, MNK > 75 would play a bit faster overall since, at higher levels, they'll often ask you to /NIN anyway (Tankless meleeburns).

Comment

Working...
              X