DRK feet @ LV60+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRK feet @ LV60+

So I've got my DRK at 60 now, and for the most part, I'm pretty happy with my gear. The one piece that kind of makes me second guess myself is the feet. Right now I'm currently wearing Magna M ledelsens because of the +MP and the +INT. I've looked over a lot of the feet available to an Elvaan DRK and I just can't convince myself to replace this equip with anything else. The first thing I've seen that makes me consider replacing this piece is the Feral Ledelsens, but I'm not sure if +4 attack is worth giving up +20MP, +3AGI, and +2INT. The Wood M Ledelsens are slightly tempting, but I don't like the STR-3. At Lv66, Darksteel Sabatons(+1) look nice, but are kind of expensive on my server. Also, I'm not sure if wearing the RSE1 until 66 is a good idea.

In the end, I suppose I'm content wearing the current piece I have (Magna M Ledelsens) until 66+, but I wonder if any of you might have some advice as to a piece of gear that I could wear before then. This question has been on my mind for many levels of DRK. Like I said, I'm happy with the current setup I have on DRK; it's just the feet equip. Suggestions?

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Re: DRK feet @ LV60+

For TP gain, stick with attack and accuracy. The luisant feet are especially good for this. There's also leaping boots which you can use for the dex and agi. Those Feral Ledelsens also seem pretty nice for the +4 atk.

IMO, I wouldn't be as concerned over MP/INT gear at this level. The only way you can merit using it is to macro the gear in for a cast, the macro back to TP gain gear, which could be tedious. But I would definitely not stick with it full time. Dark knights could benefit a lot more from melee-stats.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

I've taken to macroing in INT gear, as of the late 50s it does make a good difference in terms of effectively landing spells. (I also start my Absorb cycle with Absorb-INT for that reason.)

A lot of it depends on what you're fighting and how you perform. I tend to be able to use much more mixed gear in trioing than I could in full-party xp, so I didn't start to really load up on Atk+ gear until I started doing Excavation Duty runs at 60. But having a distinct spell-cast and melee set is pretty reasonable, particularly since the good magey gear doesn't do much for melee and the good melee gear isn't good for offensive magic.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Unfortunately you can't use them for a while but the Amir Boots are amazing for DRK (you're also coming up on the Thick set but again that's a ways off (68)

I wouldn't touch Luisant gear with a 50' pole. Way too expensive for the little gains you get. Stick with your RSE (it's also nice for Guillotine mods btw) until 68 when you can get the Thick Sollerets and then upgarde to Amir if/when you can (or if you DRK, may as well go for those +1 AF boots.)
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

At that level, I did the NQ version of those feral feet. But from a pure acc standpoint, go with Fourth Sabatons (Fourth Sabatons - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia Gaming wiki). They are ugly, but 2 acc on the feet, even if they don't give any other stats. The hands of this set are pretty nice also.
          Tyros - Bahamut
          DRK75 / BLM75
          LS: MoonlightAngels
          Windurst: Rank 10 / Bastok: Rank 10 / San d'Oria: Rank 10 / RotZ: Clear / CoP: Bahamut v1
          ToAU: Clear / Assault: First Lieutenant / WotG: Mission 6 / Campaign: Wings of Honor
          Cooking 90.3 + 2

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
            Stick with your RSE (it's also nice for Guillotine mods btw) until 68
            Attack +4 on 4 hits will do more for you than that silly +2 INT. I'd move to the Feral (or the Fourth).

If you want MP, you can make a set to stick to for the start of a chain or something... (seems to be less and less of an issue as you level). If you want INT, make a set for it. With your feet, 20k, and an hour of questing, you could probably get +12 or so INT for spellcasting swap.

Obviously, I think DRKs should equip swap more. In fact, Dread Spikes would benefit from a +HP gear set, so you have about 10 levels to start thinking about that, too!

>>I just looked at FFXIclopedia -- MND is mod for Guillo, not INT. Same for Cross Reaper. But Spiral Hell has a nifty 50% INT mod. Not that it matters since it has a 50% STR mod as well which makes it like 4x as useful to stack up STR than INT...
            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

I totally agree that you should look into macroing gear. I gear swap (Maybe a bit too much) to make certain things better. At the very least, start looking into a TP set (Acc geared), WS set (a good mix of STR, Atk, and Acc depending on what you are using), and you can even make a dark magic set for drain, aspir, and absorbs (AF helm, dark earring if you have one, can even get a torque a little down the road). The beauty of the DRK AF set, even if it is mostly crap, it at least has HP+ on it, so most or all of it can be macroed in for Dread Spikes.

Back to the topic though, I wouldn't worry about loosing 20 MP as you are probably not gonna be at full MP anyways and you can always rest a tick between pulls, get sanction refresh, or bring juice if you don't have a refresher. Also, look into a parade gorget if you can get one and put it on between pulls for a couple MP restored. As for loosing the AGI, DRK doesn't need AGI. And the INT, well, INT doesn't affect dark magic supposedly, so it would only help your poisons and elemental magic, which you probably don't cast cause it isn't efficient.

So, feral or fourth, either would be a step in the right direction.
              Tyros - Bahamut
              DRK75 / BLM75
              LS: MoonlightAngels
              Windurst: Rank 10 / Bastok: Rank 10 / San d'Oria: Rank 10 / RotZ: Clear / CoP: Bahamut v1
              ToAU: Clear / Assault: First Lieutenant / WotG: Mission 6 / Campaign: Wings of Honor
              Cooking 90.3 + 2

Comment

So is the general consensus that Fourth Sabatons would be more beneficial than the Luisant Solerets? I happen to have some extra gil on my hands right now anyway (more than my usual 90-100k), so the Luisant aren't totally out of the question based on the price.

I do like the +2acc from the Fourth Sabatons, but is that 1acc more beneficial than +1 STR, DEX, and Atk from the Luisant? Not to mention, as much as I tried to keep marksmanship on par with my level, I'll need skill up parties before the +2Racc would make any difference.

At 63, I think I'll grab the Feral ledelsens, so that's kind of a factor in the decision too. Perhaps 150k (cost of Luisant on Bismarck) is a little steep for only the ~60k exp needed until 63 though. Then again, the price on those doesn't fluctuate much, so I'm more than likely to get my money back, less AH fees.

Oh, and I was easily swayed to get rid of the RSE feet for now because they fetched me an easy 50k. I think when I begin nearing 70, I will start to assemble a gear set for dark magic. At this point, my absorbs land about ~70-75% on IT exp mobs, and drain/aspir are usually successful. Thanks for all the helpful advice. DRK is a fun job for me, and now I'm 60, it's time to start taking it just as serious as I did for my PLD going up the ranks.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                ------
                Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

I'd point out that unless def is a concern, Bounding/Leaping Boots, if available (I'm a THF main, I do get used to taking it for granted, but they are very handy for a variety of jobs) would be better than Fourth Sabatons. DRK wields a 2-handed weapon, so the DEX+3 on the boots is worth 2~3 Accuracy anyway. It's sometimes too easy to look at Acc boosts independently from DEX (or Atk boosts independently from STR).

Camping LL is not that hard, if you don't have and want to consider trying to obtain the boots. Competition is not nearly as fierce as it once was, so if you go in armed with a Wide Scan providing sub and some knowledge about the Placeholders and spawn behavior, it's not too difficult an effort (certainly easier than Valkurm Emperor). That said, Fourth Sabatons is not a bad alternative for a DRK60 at all, just not as universally useful.
                  Last edited by Lunaryn; 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM.
                  Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                  DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                  Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                  Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                  WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                  Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                  All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                  Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                  Clothcraft 24
                  Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                  BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Working...
                  X