Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRK Gear by 60

Hello.
    I am currently at DRK 57. I have a question related to the Vagasso's Scythe and hauby. Basically it comes down to me not having the 1M gil i need to get both these pieces of gear. Usually I won't lvl unless I feel like I have good enough gear. But with lvl 58 fast approaching I find myself wondering if I should stop lvling or get to 60, because I need to do 65 cap. Here is my gear right now:

Weapon: Bone Scythe +1/Darksteel Claymore
    Ranged: Crossbow +1
    Ammo: (Situational)
    Head: RK Bascinet
    Neck: Spike Necklace
    Earring 1: Tortoise Earring
    Earring 1: Tortoise Earring
    Body: Jaridah Peti
    Hands: Jaridah Bazubands
    Ring 1: Woodsman's Ring/Sun Ring
    Ring 2: Venerer Ring/Sun Ring
    Back: Jaguar Mantle
    Waist: Life Belt/ RK Belt
    Legs: RK Breeches
    Feet: Jaridah Nails

So whats your opinion? IMO I know I could get to 60. But the thing is, either way I'm sitting there for awhile while I come up with the gil. Oh and btw, any other suggestins for my gear are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Cort-

Re: DRK Gear by 60

A pair of spike earrings are good (or 1 spike and an assault if you can get your hands on one)

If it comes down to the scythe vs the haub, buy the haub.

Vassago's scythe is a nice weapon, but the stats on Haubergeon are too good to ignore.

EDIT: Almost forgot, once you hit 60 try to do BCNMs and/or Assaults for money. You should really pick up a chivalrous chain.

Double EDIT: http://ffxi.somepage.com/bcnm/20 you can get both the earring and the scythe from this BC.
    Last edited by Malacite; 04-26-2007, 09:06 AM.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

if need be, sell the woodsman to buy the haub. People like to have a complete set of great gear, but you have to start somewhere and "somewhere" is the most influential piece first. Haubs (on my server) are currently a little under double the cost of a woodsman, but do much more than double the benefit. Plus, if you're eating sushi you won't notice the difference. You can always buy back later.
      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Hauby is just too good to pass up.
        I wouldn't lvl until you got one.
        I know I'm an a**hole - Reminding me is redundant.
        Main: PLD75:Semi-retired
        Fave: MNK64 (at time of writing)
        Retired: {Other Jobs}
        Gear & Stuff
        The Guide to Partying in FFXI
        sigpic

Comment

Well, myself personally I am a acc whore, and I abhorrer extensive gear swap macros for the most part, so I would ditch the +str rings, keep the +acc, and buy the Hauby. The Haubergeon is also lvl 59, if you are going to be stuck at lvl 60 for awhile anyway I wouldn't feel too bad exping without one for just one level. While the Jaridah Peti can't really hold a candle to the Hauby, it's not bad in it's own right either, so I'd hardly call you gimped if you exped with it for another level or two.

Rest of the gear setup, what I'd do is:

Head: Chaos Burgeonet once you hit 60

Neck: Merman's Gorget/Chivalrous Chain

Earring 1 & 2: If you are going cheap, get Beetle+1s, if not, get Spike, or Spike/Assault earring. Some of the +mp earrings may be useful, as may the RSE earrings.

Hands: Either Sipahi Dastanas or Enky Bracelets. They are fairly comparable, so I'd go with whichever you prefer (I like Enky Bracelets myself)

Rings: Leave as is

Back: Leave as is, nothing really better until lvl 61 and Amemet mantles anyway

Legs: Leave as is. Although Sable Cuisses look interesting, but I bet they are pricey.

Feet: Dunno here, Crow feet for -enmity might be more useful actually, not sure though

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

I think they answered most your questions... however, I'm gonna give you my opinion, based soley on my experience as a DRK. Don't go worrying yourself about ACC gear too much, +15/20 with sushi is fine at your level. As you get higher the monsters of course get weaker, so you can start selling out the ACC gear you do have, and invest in STR swaps for when you hit 66 and get Spinning Slash. Sometimes in Refreshless Parties (TP'd in Plastron) I've used +5 ACC with Sole Sushi and missed around 1 swing per fight. But hey, if you go all out on ACC gear you can use meat, I don't think it would be as affective as all ATTK/STR and sushi but it most likely depends on your gear.
            In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
            And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
            Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
            Yeah, It’s true.
            It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

well, i got to 59 last night. Decided to put my Woodsmans Ring on the AH, as the price went up recently so its a good deal. If that and some other things sell I should be able to get the hauby. And yeah, i'm not going past 60 w/out one. I'm an acc whore meself but the acc i lost is made up by the hauby, and i still need 60 cap quest, finish af and stuff. My LS is big into assault runs so hopefully I'll be doing those to get some sort of cash flow.

Oh and Malacite, thanks for that bcnm info, it was really helpful.

Comment

Yeah, Tipsy brings to mind another point. If you can actually party with say, a bard, their party buffs can often cover one of your stats (depending on party setup)

For instance, I rarely party with a bard, but when I do they seem to love sticking the +acc songs on us, with maybe a +acc/+att combo. This makes everyone hit often enough that they don't even need +acc food.

It's not something that I'd count on, but it is something I'd keep in mind when forming/joining parties. I'm very used to not partying with a corsair/bard/summoner, so my gear setup and food choices are done with only myself in mind. If I could count on having a cor/bard/smn in my parties, and knowing what buffs they'd use, I'd have an entirely different setup.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

w00t
                  Lv 75 BLM, 75 SMN, 75 DRK, 75BRD, 75PUP, 70WHM, 70SCH
                  Primary jobs **Animator +1**
                  -----------------------------------------------------
                  Lv 53 PLD, 37 WAR, 37 MNK, 37 THF, 34 RNG, 37 NIN, 24 BST, 37 SAM, 20 BLU, 5 COR, 4 DRG, 37 DNC, <-Secondary jobs
                  LVL 66 CLOTHCRAFT, LVL 55 GOLDSMITHING

Comment

OK...little update. Got my hauby, yeah its pretty fricken sweet. But i was wondering how long is it good for... I'm guessing roughly till the hauberk?

Thanks,
                    -Cort-

Comment

Originally posted by -Cort- View Post
                      OK...little update. Got my hauby, yeah its pretty fricken sweet. But i was wondering how long is it good for... I'm guessing roughly till the hauberk?
                      Thanks,
                      -Cort-
                      You could take the Hauby all the way to Lv.75. I'm currently Lv.72, and haven't had the time to farm the gil required to upgrade to my Hauberk. Since I will keep the Hauby anyway for WAR(60), SAM(50) and maybe BST(lol20) one day, I may just pass up getting a Hauberk. Then again, I always want up to date gear, even if it's just 10 Eva and AGI difference, I see a Hauberk in my future.

I spent 4.75M for my Hauby, and I spent 1.4M for my Vassago's Scythe. Hauby's worth it with out a doubt, and the Vassago's a pretty damn good Scythe until I upgraded to the Dst. Scythe +1. I've also decided to keep the Vassago's for Lv.60 Assaults since my LS does quite a few of them. Of course Vassago's 200k now and Hauby is 680k, so I'll never sell them now considering the mint I spent on them the first time.
                      Odude
                      PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                      RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                      SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Or, if you can't afford a Haubergeon, keep the STR rings and buy a Sipahi body piece.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Call me an "elitist snob," but Hauby is a requirement for DRK. Even with Abs-TP, Acc is still extremely important for DRK and we don't have any Acc boosting job ability until we're Lv.75 and can spend Merit Points on Category 2 Merits.

I've spent a considerable amount of gil on my Acc gear, and my performance in EXP shows. I've done Assaults, or EXP with DRKs that passed up on their Hauby and noticed a night & day difference between Acc and damage. "Hauby's not worth the gil, but wow your Guillotines are twice what mine are."
                          Odude
                          PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
                          RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
                          SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

[System Message: You are not allowed to post URLs as you have not yet contributed sufficiently. Please try again at a later time.]

Comment

Working...
                            X