FYI: DRK Subs in a nutshell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: DRK Subs in a nutshell

A lot of people seem unsure about sub jobs. DRK is a flexible class, and should be treated like so. Enable to fully utilize your abilities, you should have, if not all, as many of the following subs as you can at the ready:

Level Up Parties

WAR - War is like the "basic sub" for before level 60. Dual swing is a godsend, on and off WS. It gives defense boosts so that you live a bit longer when you deal too much damage and take hate. Also, sometimes you're expected to take hate at times in the game (I.E., when you have a THF in the party who needs to sneak+trick on the tank); sub WAR will get that done. Even before 50 when you get dual swing through sub, berserk is one of the best offensive boosts in the game. WAR sub gives the highest attack boost you can get from a sub.

THF - Starting 60, you can use it to trick your guillotines onto the tank if you're afraid of hate. This sub doesn't really start to shine until 65 or 66, when you get cross reaper and spinslash. After this, it becomes the undisputed best level-up party sub. Cross reaper and Spinslash damage are almost doubled with sneak attack, making DRK the best skillchain closer for both dark and light level 3 skillchains. DRK completely takes over THF's previous role at this point.

Activity Subs

SAM - The use for SAM sub is on some HNM that you can't hit, or can't damage due too too much evasion or defense... though the only one I can think of atm which is that difficult physically is kirin, everything else is meleeable. Use SAM sub to charge TP for the 1h sword Spirits Within WS. Unfortunately, due to the multi-hit WS nerf, SAM sub is no longer useful in level up parties.

WHM -or- RDM - At low levels, such as valkurm, many parties may suffer the problem of low MP for the party. Here, WHM sub works out very well. Eventually, however, mage sub doesn't work that well anymore. At higher levels, keep one of these available for skill-up hunts. Not many mages attend skillup hunts because, frankly, they don't have much weapons to skill. As a result, melees are gonna have to heal themselves most of the time. WHM or RDM subs are also godsends for hunting for coffers.

NIN - Just for blink. Many HNM and higher level NMs have very devastating area attacks, as well as some monsters in dynamis. Having blink is a lifesaver in these situations.

These are the tried, tested, and qualified subs. Have them ready and change it accordingly with your PT's configuration. Basically, if you already have a thf in the PT to increase hate on the pld, sub war or sam. If there isn't a thf and it seems like there would be trouble keeping hate in the party, sub thf. If you end up in a 4 melee PT, sub whm or rdm. None of these subs are "better" than each other; they each have their uses at different times.

On the other hand, here are some of the subs for DRK that do NOT work:

DRG - Only 1 passive Acc + boost, nothing else useful. Has 1 passive offense boost, but DRK has enough of those on it's own, one more doesn't help much. Doesn't do much to increase the damage (war and sam add more), and no useful active abilities either. Subbed jump helps with TP charge, but dual-swing and sam TP charge are much better. In short, it has stuff to help DRK, but WAR and SAM help so much more it's not worth it.

MNK - No passives to help DRK. Don't mention vit or counter, because DRK A) War's passives give more defense, and B) DRK shouldn't be taking hits in the first place. A bit of extra HP to help with darkness, but sub's HP doesn't help it that much, so it's really not significant. The acc up ability isn't really necessary, as a good DRK with decent equips should be landing most of his hits anyways, and accumulate isn't anywhere near as useful as berserk as far as DRK is concerned.

PLD - DRK shouldn't be taking hits, added defense is useless, sub PLD's white magic is too crippled to be useful anyways. Can't shield bash with two-handed weapon.

BLM - You already have black magic. BLM gives you an INT boost, but generally if your spells keep getting resisted, subbing BLM isn't going to help much. DRK is a fighter geared towards magic, but it is fighter nonetheless. Your attack spells are next to worthless and only waste MP, it's better to just attack. The only magic that's useful is your absorb and drain spells, and subbing BLM won't help those enough to make up for all of the things you lose by not subbing something else.

I hope this post helps. Good luck ^^/
    DRK75 / THF37 / WAR37 / RDM60 / BLM31 / PLD11

ohnoez

Awntawn - nice info. It was extremely well written.
    You don't know me, so don't judge me.

Comment

SAM* - DRK/SAM is like a DRK/WAR on steroids, capable of milling out guillotines like a machine. Overall, this combination probably does the most damage, which is why it is quite common for DRKs to level it as a sub. Unforunately, due to the insanely high amount of hate that this causes, I can't recommend it.
      I believe you forgot to mention that SAM is totally useless until level 60, just like THF, for 2 reasons: scythe cap for guillotine is at lv60 and the SAM tp gain ability is at 30.

Also, don't become intimidated by all these subs, I don't even agree with you about subbing a mage job, it appears totally useless in a PT, DRK/WAR is the way to go until lv60, then I'd consider doing other stuff. Besides, anyone who takes the damn job higher than lv50 must really like it, cuz DRK is like the anti-PT job

*EDIT: DRK/SAM is what everyone should be after lv60, just don't join PT's without a THF

Comment

so basically.....your giving us good advice.....but would you agree with me when i say....you should be a Dark Knight/Warrior until level 60.....after that you can explore diffrent subjobs.....

hmmm id realli like neones opinion on this...
        m e l i s s a «

Comment

Naw , I dun wanna start a war of words , but simply put people will differ on what they feel is a good sub .
          I prefer DRK/BLM or DRK/RDM when i level it.
          It doesnt matter if the folks here say im gimped. If the people on ramuh see me with PT icon on and pick me then they know what they are getting. And i was chosen for a reason , especially if the PT has two taunters , or If im first melee picked. Also I know when im asked if I have war job , and i say no. If tehy choose to keep me fine if not fine, I can make a PT.
          I dont agree with aldo or awntawn on some things but we each have our opinion and thats all they are opinions.
          It's Official Promathia Hates me....
          それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
          Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
          A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

Just like to point out that my words come only through observation and experience. However, observations and experience can still be wrong at times due to certain circumstances. Don't take my statements to be the "way it is," think of it as more of a parental guidance-like thing.

ohnoez

Comment

DRK/BLM??? I pt'ed w/ another DRK last night and we had only 2 mages and 4 melees so they forced him to use a 1hander and sub RDM...........wanna know what happened? He turned into a 3rd rate warrior, I did about 90-120 per swing, he did about 20-40 per swing, and his cures sucked so he could only do like cure2 for like 60hp. BLM ugh, our ˆÃ?•–‚–@ is capped at a very high level, and the best magics are DRK only, we don't have enough MP to nuke the enemy with magic, despite the support of a RDM/BRD's mp curative abilites. Best thing to do is atleast sub a melee class if your in a PT. Hey like he said, this is just opinionated, you can to whatever the hell you want....just don't expect to be picked even if your subbing WAR cuz DRK never gets PTs (I can't stress this enough)

Comment

well......i guess we have to take this advice into consideration due to the fact these people h ave actually experianced the game...their information should me obsereved and executed LOL
                m e l i s s a «

Comment

Drk/Mnk

Hey, aren't u guys forgetting something? Like Drk/Mnk?? Won't Mnk be good to cause it'll give u more vitality and hp and the counter is cool too isn't it? Cause I'm gonna switch with Drk/WAR and DRK/MNK time by time.
                  Although i cannot choose how I was born, but at least i want to choose how I die.....

Comment

Originally posted by Aldo
                    DRK/BLM??? I pt'ed w/ another DRK last night and we had only 2 mages and 4 melees so they forced him to use a 1hander and sub RDM...........wanna know what happened? He turned into a 3rd rate warrior, I did about 90-120 per swing, he did about 20-40 per swing, and his cures sucked so he could only do like cure2 for like 60hp. BLM ugh, our ˆÃ?•–‚–@ is capped at a very high level, and the best magics are DRK only, we don't have enough MP to nuke the enemy with magic, despite the support of a RDM/BRD's mp curative abilites. Best thing to do is atleast sub a melee class if your in a PT. Hey like he said, this is just opinionated, you can to whatever the hell you want....just don't expect to be picked even if your subbing WAR cuz DRK never gets PTs (I can't stress this enough)

HAHAHA aldo has something I have seen first hand and know for a fact, DRKs in japan version even on Ramuh I usually see standing around in jueno, When i go PT an dcomeback those same drk are still standing there.

Aldo.. awntawn that is the one thing I am confused about why is it , that the most powerful (one of anyway) classes ingame gets like zero PT calls or have to make their own. I have been in a PT where the leader was dakr and he got a sam and pally , becuas ewe were going to fight TOTE anticans with their friggin high defense.
                    If we fighting squishy totes I never see a drk in the PT.

GO figure.
                    It's Official Promathia Hates me....
                    それは公式である,プロマシア は私を憎む。
                    Trielは博雅なる大召喚士
                    A Summoners Journey (The Live Journal) >>>> A Summoners Journey the Movie

BecomingThe Movie: The tale of the Journey of a Blue Mage

Comment

lol swtich to monk....with warrior...*cough*...hahaha i mean u can do it if u want...but hasnt this been discussed before im not sure....hahaha well i take everything back go ahead an be a monk...with less attack power...hehehe ^.^
                      m e l i s s a «

Comment

People love THFs because of yokodama and dancing edge. It does a lot of damage. Enable to make an incurve renkei, they need a penetration WS followed by dancing edge. This results in no hate change, as the monster is still pounding on the tank, and people see one large number and squeal. MNKs and DRGs level 200 WS's are both penetration WSs, so you can see why they're picked. SAM is a different matter. Their penetration WS is not so high. However, they build TP insanely fast, so they can repeatedly penta-thrust (5-hit spear WS) (they get back 98% TP if all 5 hits land) and when the thf is ready, they can use their special and renkei with them. If the slashing WS is desired, they can even switch weapons, use the instant TP charge ability, and go and switch back... DRK has a penetration WS for scythe at level 150, but it's damage is horrible and is prone to missing. The only 2 damage-dealing classes left out of this are DRK and WAR, but WAR often gets invites to act as the tank, so in the end DRK is left in the least desirable spot.

So what's for the DRK? Guillotine (drk level 200 ws) and Raging Rush (war level 200 ws) form a decomposition renkei, which is just as powerful (in fact, better because decomposition is aero and thunder, all a step higher than water and blizzard). The differences? Hate... the pld might have some trouble keeping it, unless the DRK subs THF (war should sub sam, i'll get into that later). However, a skilled pld should be able to take the hate from drk/war and war/sam. The problem is, most pld's are too damn spoiled and used to having a thf yoko on their lazy ass so they never even taunt. DRK + WAR offense combo trains better PLDs.

Another difference is this: For the THF + "penetration class" combo, the thf does the damage during renkei, and the other class does the damage outside of it. For the DRK + WAR combo, both classes do a lot of damage outside of renkei AND both WS's do a lot of damage, not to mention the extremely high TP return. Raging rush hits 3 times (4 with dual swing), and guillotine hits 4(5 with dual swing), both being 2-handed weapons, the damage and TP return are really high. Kuumeikenn (mnk 200ws) hits once, and dancing edge, though it hits 5 times, is dagger, and if all hits contact it returns less than 30 TP, then you have to slowly charge TP 5% at a time.

Another thing that the DRK + WAR combo has: shield break. This is WAR's first WS, and the most useful one in the game. It lowers the enemy's evade by a LOT. It's to the point where you barely ever miss; even the mages can hit. This is why WAR/SAM is so awesome. It starts off by using shield break, then it charges w/ the sam ability and the DRK and WAR renkei. Then around the end, DRK solos guillotine to finish, then war starts off the next battle with shield break again.

Ultimately, WAR is DRK's one true best friend.

As to why DRK/MNK doesn't work; it isn't practical. There's 1 acc up ability, accumulate (doesn't really help much...), and that's it. Maybe a little more HP for darkness, but sub's HP isn't big enough to make a significant difference. None of the passives are useful. You have counter, but drk's should never be getting hit (then again, neither should mnk, but no one understands the mnk class. like why they have so much HP if they shouldn't be getting hit, etc)

ohnoez

Comment

I remember i had Drk 62 in pt who she did not know how to use yokodama and always went behind me instead. That sort of thing frustrates all the pld's because then the opposing melee has to tank during rennkei.

Problem is, if the pld is good then the war,sam whatever will not be able to take enemy away when he does his WS leaving the DRK to act fast about who to go behind and unleash WS. If you sub thf, learn how to yokodama. 95 degree angle to pld~
                          |Elites|PLD75/RNG75/WAR37/NIN37/MNK54 Sandoria - Rank 10

Comment

Originally posted by tazirai
                            I prefer DRK/BLM or DRK/RDM when i level it.
                            It doesnt matter if the folks here say im gimped. If the people on ramuh see me with PT icon on and pick me then they know what they are getting.
                            I think we know what they're getting.

‚¤‚Í‚—‚—‚—‚—‚—‚—
                            ‚¨‚‹‚—‚—‚—‚—
                            RageOfDark & Rinoa.Nu

Comment

I think this topic needs to get stickied. Awn provided all the information on sub jobs accurately and descriptively for a Dark Knight and a few weeks later 10 other people post DRK/???, DRK/SAM?, DRK/WHM?, DRK/ect. topics.

Comment

Working...
                              X