Is this guy full of **** ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this guy full of **** ?

I got into an argument over the effects of TP on blue magic spells today with an LS member.

Essentially, he laughed at me for only being able to do 140 average on T+ mobs with bludgeon while he was smacking IT for 200 at lv 18. He says he was able to do so much damage because he kept his TP and that it was boosting his damage.

Is he full of crap? Most other BLU I ask say TP only affects spells when Chain Affinity is used. Moreover, he is a Taru and I'm an Elvaan, which means there's a fairly large gap in our base STR values.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Is this guy full of **** ?

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/TP
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Bludgeon

So now, it depends on what you mean by average. Is it a real average or eyeballing it? Bludgeon is a 3 hit attack, with (as show above) TP affecting ACC, so if you had high ACC all three might hit hard. If you're just eyeballing it though, they might just be seeing what they want to see.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

It's a physical Blue Magic spell, so food effects, enemy defense, and enemy weaknesses must all be taken into account.

Bludgen is blunt damage, which is strong towards Skeletons and certain Magic Pots off the top of my head. That would be +50% damage if I recall correctly.

Or your friend is a liar. I've never seen Bludgeon hit for more than 160, even in the Dunes, and as you progress you're definately going to see less and less damage as both the evasion and defense of your enemies continues to rise.

Comment

Does your LS-mate's 200 dmg is based on smacking Ghouls in Dunes at level 18 ~_~?
        Server: Quetzalcoatl
        Race: Hume Rank 7
        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

nah its not hard to smack shit for 200 in dunes, i got bored left the pts and had no problem soloing @18 - 21 as blu/war usuing bludgeon and head butt on vt gaint bats. Tp will effect your acc but dex effect crits ~.^
          [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

I'm probably wrong (as my BLU isn't even unlocked) but doesn't TP have zero effect on blue magic w/out using Chain Affinity? you know.. the one that's level 40 and not being used in the dunes. >.>
            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
              Essentially, he laughed at me for only being able to do 140 average on T+ mobs with bludgeon while he was smacking IT for 200 at lv 18. He says he was able to do so much damage because he kept his TP and that it was boosting his damage.

I would say that the T+ that you are killing may have a stronger DEF than the IT your friend is killing. Also, what were the 2 of you killing(remember certain mobs are stronger against physical attacks than others. Lastly, you need to look at the equipt. because STR and DEX will play an important role.

I'm kinda bumbed that Bludgeon will start getting weaker the higher lvl u go(I'm lvl 15 and heard that Bludgeon is 1 of the best spells to learn)
              u have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them

Comment

The tard wouldn't say what he was fighting.

I was taking on T rabbits and Gobs, all con low Eva thanks to /RNG (that Acc +10 works miracles for bludgeon).

I usually pile on +STR from gear and +DEX from spells too, along with rice dumplings for food. A blu friend of mine says he's full of crap though, and that my dmg is bang on. I was just wanted some more opinions.
                sigpic

Comment

To answer the actual question, SE themselves said how TP effects blue magic spells when they introduced BLU. It's in one of the version update notes if you want to dig it up.

TP bonuses only apply with Chain Affinity up. Blus that sit in a party with 300tp for hours are ignorant of how it works. Yes, your buddy is full of it.
                  75MNK | 75 SAM | 75 NIN | 75 BLU | 75 THF | 75 WAR

Comment

thank you ^_^
                    sigpic

Comment

I suppose TP could matter with some spells.

In wilderness is the preservation of the world.

Comment

Beware the Necropost.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Moreover, beware the necropost that adds nothing to the thread. It was already assumed in the OP that TP affects physical blue magic, the question was whether it affects blue magic when Chain Affinity isn't active, which it does not.
                          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Before anyone necroposting this again:
                            http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/2006_-_...-_The_New_Jobs
                            2. Spell effect

* The TP information included in "physical" blue magic spells is applicable when using the job ability "Chain Affinity."
                            /thread
                            Thanks,
                            Vrytreya

My FFXI Doc

Comment

It says it's applicable when using Chain Affinity ... it doesn't say that it's ONLY when using Chain Affinity. Maybe later I'll go beat on some worms using Bludgeon at low and high TP and see what happens...

Comment

Working...
                              X