Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Head Butt

Originally posted by Atma
    Oh please, like it's possible NOT to cap blue magic. Firstly, I highly doubt it lasted 5 seconds, as I have never even been stunned by a mob for more then 2 or 3 tops, and secondly, even if it did, one freak occurance does not change the fact that the stun is usually for a half a second, if it's not completely resisted.
    O.O

Guess you never fought those evil golems out in Moon (I'm assuming Sky is the same) They have this ability similar to frost breath for raptors, only in this case the stun effect can last anywhere from at least 3 seconds to as long as 8 seconds. It's annoying as hell and if this ability can be learned from BLUs, whoamg.

Edit:

When I said similar, I meant the type of attack, not the status it delivers. I believe these are breath type attacks, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Aeni; 05-10-2006, 05:21 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Against IT's the stun doesn't last too long, but it still cuts down on the number of monster attacks. For soloing, Head Butt is great. Often times I'll be able to Head Butt -> Bludgeon and have Head Butt ready to go again before the monster has had a chance to swing. Saved my butt a few times when I was trying to get Claw Cyclone solo at 21 and ended up finding out that a T Forrest Tiger can give 200 XP (no XP ring, no chain).

Mouser (BLU35)

Comment

I had Blizt for a while, but never really tried it out in a exp setting

Comment

I alwasy thought stun lasted until the next round of attacks came. So basically, stopped one attack then wore off. That could be why some peoples stun last 1-3 seconds( headbutted rite before attack) and some 5+(headbutt rite after attack). Sorry if this is wrong, but this is what I always thought.

Comment

i was really bored and decided to sub blu in ballista... i was 66drg/18blu and was headbutting a lvl 75 pld i got the stun effect 4/5 times but last fracking of a second
            [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

As a 75 DRG/BLU in Beseiged, I was successfully stunning Trolls and Lamias, sometimes even doing damage. Didn't last long but it did work. I only got one resist/miss.

Comment

I'm hearing reports of this skill still being used up even as a 75 blu...

Does blue magic really stack up that well, to have Headbutt be used at such high levels, or does its preformance drop off?

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

I alwasy thought stun lasted until the next round of attacks came. So basically, stopped one attack then wore off. That could be why some peoples stun last 1-3 seconds( headbutted rite before attack) and some 5+(headbutt rite after attack). Sorry if this is wrong, but this is what I always thought.
                  Don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm pretty sure it's unrelated to the time remaining for the next attack round. Some mob TP moves Stun for a ridiculous ammount of time, you can stun targets that aren't engaged, and against really high level mobs, the Stun effect often won't last very long regardless of its attack speed. Also, there's a food that gives "Resist Stun," if I'm not mistaken. Everything points to it having a fixed duration which can be shortened through resists.

Comment

For one, Stun also often doesn't work on HNMs. However, there's plenty of HNMs it *does* work on where Head Butt won't. Against XP mobs, Blu stuns and debuffs are a bit shaky. I'd compare it to mid-level debuffs, before you get good gear, which are also shaky to land. When high-level Blu gear starts coming out, I think you'll start expecting good hit rates on these things for Blu, but some effects that would otherwise be powerful (like Stun) may still have unpleasantly low success rates.

Now, against HNM, you need to have amazing gear and some luck to land debuffs. Some HNM (and some debuffs) just aren't going to happen. Stun, however, if the mob is not Stun-resistant, has essentially 100% success rate, even if your Dark Magic skill is sub-par. This is really the power of Stun, and I think Head Butt doesn't have this. (Unfortunately, some mobs, like Kirin, you're out of luck on stunning.)

And yeah, one is ranged and one isn't. Kiting is the easy way out on some mobs, and it's very popular for a range of HNM, particularly among starting groups. I wouldn't say that it's typical of smaller groups. It takes good gear and a lot of HNM experience to move past kiting HNM to straight-tanking them. (Well, okay, if you want to do them with a skeleton crew, you might need to kite them regardless.)
                    Brodrik
                    Drk75/Thf69/Blm65/War37/Sam37/Nin37/Whm37
                    PanicMotion

Comment

There's also semi-kiting, where you kite it for a while, hold it still for a SC, then kite it some more while you swap in different DDs or wait for meditates, then repeat. My sky LS does this on Kirin and we regularly kill him in ~50 min (including summons).

We don't have any of the new jobs high enough to bring to HNM fights yet, but it seems that if Head Butt could hit, it would have some potential for stopping things like Quake and Stonega IV - since Kirin is going to hold still for a while to cast them anyway, you should have no trouble getting in range. Ditto Temporal Shift.

When I hear reports that high level BLUs are still using low level spells, it makes me suspect that they just haven't bothered to get the high level spells. Considering that to be high level so soon after the job was released they'd have to spend huge amounts of time leveling, it really makes me doubt that they're *also* finding time to track down all their spells. (Particularly since it's now known that you can always learn them later.)

There's always a certain number of people who ignore other aspects of their character development in order to level, and logic suggests that they would be the first ones to reach high levels.
                      Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                      RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                      All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

i cant learn this spell ....
                        does learning spell got to do with level?
                        i am lv 9-10 while trying to learn it but it never happen and i been trying for every kills for like 3-4 hours...
                        hate this. Blu spell are sucking the time away and it seem that only certrain spells take long time. some spell i learn it the first 1-4 times it was used but this spell has happen more then 20 times and i had not learn it

Comment

Originally posted by JeanRC
                          i cant learn this spell ....
                          does learning spell got to do with level?
                          i am lv 9-10 while trying to learn it but it never happen and i been trying for every kills for like 3-4 hours...
                          hate this. Blu spell are sucking the time away and it seem that only certrain spells take long time. some spell i learn it the first 1-4 times it was used but this spell has happen more then 20 times and i had not learn it
                          I just learned it last night at level 10.

It took me a couple of hours to learn Metallic Body. I've found that trying to learn spells off Decent Challenge or Even Match mobs is working better for me than off Easy Prey. It's also less hassling to EXP off the same mobs I'm farming to learn the spell from.
                          There will be cake.

Comment

Rather than start a new thread RE: Head Butt, I figured I'd just bump this one up.

I'm preparing for a Copycat KSNM fight and was considering subbing my BLU for the purpose of Stun with Head Butt.

I went out to Bibiki Bay and tested it out on some T Dhalmels and was disappointed to say the least. The spell was highly accurate (as expected due to capped weapon skill and high ACC) landing something like 24/25 Head BUtts however, Stun only seemed to take effect twice. That is to say, I only saw the message "XYZ is no longer stunned." twice.

Why was this the case? Is it that the Additional Effects are not simply tied into whether or not the spell lands, but perhaps Blue Magic Skill?

Anyone with any experience subbing BLU?

Comment

Working...
                            X