Must be able to get XP from a mob to learn a spell from it
    Can't learn it if you die
    Must be within a certain distance of the monster

Setting Spells

Must 'Set' a learned spell
    Blue Mage has 'set-up' points, based on level
    Each spell costs a certain number of 'set-up' points
    In addition to 'set-up' points, a maximum number of spells can be set

All Blue Magic depends on monster types. If you learn a Bird Spell, you use it on monsters weak to Birds. Some abilities will be skillchainable and burst-able. Not all monster abilities will be available, but many will. More will be added with future patches.
    It looks like you won't want to level too quickly. With this set up, blue mages will need to take a lot of time each level to make sure they have learned all the abilities they can from enemies, because if they outlevel them they will not be able to learn from them, and if it's a particularly important spell they may miss it completely or end up deleveling to get it.

Since you need to be able to kill it and get experience from it, you'll need to have a party to get certain spells sooner. A blue mage that tries to solo all the time will get vital spells much later.

Blue mages will need to make an effort to learn EVERY spell they can, which would be hundreds, and then set those spells to fit their situation.

I wonder if you have to be in your mog house to set spells...

Also with set up points... it SEEMS as though spells that are powerful relative to your level will be castable, but require more setup points, meaning you will have fewer spells. I expect them to take more mp as well.

This could make subbing blue mage very interesting. If all you need are a few spells from blue mage to make subbing it worthwhile, you may be able to get spells much higher level than 37.
    ~Zozor!

Re: New information released

hmm in the other hand, it's quite possible to learn abilities through out the level too I think. There's no low-level specific abilities as far as I know. Just like our old joke, you can get exp killing crawlers at level 1, and get exp killing more crawlers at level 75 xD

Trying to learn thousand needle will have to be done in a group then. If it's available at all.
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

I haven't watched it, but others here have said a Blue Mage is using it on one of the vids. It will be interesting to see it used. Only thing I wonder about using a subbed BLU is if the spells cast when its subbed be at the same power as a lvl 37 BLU would be casting. Could severely limit the uses of BLU later on for anything other than buffs. (except maybe 1000 needles, unless that ends up being a spell you cant set until lvl 38 or something)
      I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

It does appear as though a blue mage is using thousand needles at 2:04 in the trailer.

You may be right, there are similar enemies throughout the game, but I would be very careful about passing up spells and hoping to get them later.
        ~Zozor!

Comment

My guess is somthing as strong as thousand Neetles would essianlly be a high-point spell, meaning it would take a lvl 75 to set it or somthing.

This makes subbing intresting because it means that while subbed, you would only probley get to set one or two good BLU spells, but their resulting strenght would be based off your Main Character's stats.

Provided some good abilities learned, that might make a good subjob for a mage class, or even paladin and darkknight.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

I've been giving drk/blu some serious consideration lately myself, mostly as a possible addition to my solo guide. It will be difficult to knock thief off of the main party subjob position for drk though.

What the information doesn't answer, though is:
            Does the enemy have to use the ability ON you? As in, if an enemy is buffed before battle, or buffs during battle, will you learn it?
            ~Zozor!

Comment

I'm really liking this take on Blue Mage. I mean, having almost any monster skill available for use? Sounds like SE got Blue Mage figured out real nice.
              RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
              Bastok Rank 10 Completed
              Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
              Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
              Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

I just realized...

If blue mages will learn and store hundreds of spells, then choose which ones to equip at certain times, party leaders won't know what to expect when they see a blue mage looking for a party.

They'll either have to make the assumption that they have appropriate spells, or ask them which spells they have...
                ~Zozor!

Comment

i actually like this mainly for one reason... if you have a couple friends you can go collect spells mabe stop at lvl 10 collevt any low level spells and then 15 or so every 5 or so levels to get your skills. This is great because it means to me a blue wont be spending to much gil other than armor and a sword. and hell i love hunting things down! Drg/blu wonder how it may work
                  [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SevIfrit
                    i actually like this mainly for one reason... if you have a couple friends you can go collect spells mabe stop at lvl 10 collevt any low level spells and then 15 or so every 5 or so levels to get your skills. This is great because it means to me a blue wont be spending to much gil other than armor and a sword. and hell i love hunting things down! Drg/blu wonder how it may work
                    I actually went and unlocked dragoon just a few minutes ago for this purpose.
                    Dragoon is one of the few jobs that is capable of subbing a wide variety of different jobs successfully.

Since it currently can sub any of the mages (except smn) with good results I am very interested to see how blue mage works with it.
                    ~Zozor!

Comment

little question ive read that BLU gets acess to 2handed weapons is that right? so it would mean he is kinda hybrid debuffing and fighting O_o
                      woah i like that idea...

Comment

closing thread (to keep things tidy) in light of new, official information:
                        http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/blu...tch.notes.html

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Working...
                        X