X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BLU Meele!

Originally posted by Crowzukin
    That would probably overlap with the Samurai's skills, possibly making sub SAM too uber. Not to mention it would likely make Samurai feel less special.
    I don't see it making Sam any less special depending on what Blues would be able to do with the TP. Sams are still skillchain freaks. And not all TP skills (i would think) from a Blue mage would be damage dealing.

Actually, day-dreaming about it here a little, if Blue mage abilities, allowed it to MB with skillchains (from a Sam), that'd make one hell of a duo for parties. Then again, i'm just day-dreaming. MMmmm... raking in TP with a Kraken Club for his Bum....

I should be working... <.<;;;

Comment

Interesting idea, but Blue Mage is still a mage, and if it did not require MP then it probably would not deserve to be called a mage class. Blue... knight or something
      DRK75 BLM75 WAR37 THF37 NIN37 SAM38 WHM38 RDM37

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Yeah...the AF alone makes a Blue Mage look quite fragile.
        All Nations: Rank 10
        Rise of the Zilart: Complete
        Chains of Promathia: Complete
        75 BRD/75 WHM/75 BLM/75 MNK/75 RDM/57 DRK/40 THF/39 WAR/37 NIN & SMN/All the rest < 37

What to level next? (DRK!)

Comment

Just because they may use TP doesn't mean they can't have mp for minor spells.

Again, just speculation.

Comment

Honstly. I don't think Bluemage will use MP at all.
            What I see on those Pic's is enemy skills, not Magic.

So I think this will be a different mage, who learn enemy skills, not magic. If it learn magic, it could learn the same as the other mages do, and it's no point in that.

Imagine a macro:
            /es "Fire Breath" <t>
            /wait 20
            /p Fire Breath Ready!

or maby ability of the Bomb family
            /es "Grow" <me>
            and you could get bigger and explode and die ,like the bombs do
            with no exp loss.

Sounds fun to me

As tank:
            Maby it will work with War as sub, there is enemies who has tanking enemy skills. Like the Crab family and Beetle Family

As healer, I can't remember any enemyskills at this point, but maby there is. Subing WHM would be pointless, since a mage who use abilities, doesn't have MP. Normally enemies fight alone, so they can't be a healer. only for them selves. (Can be good for solo)

DD, I think this will be a good one. The blue mage can use Sword (schimitar). and NIN sub and dual wield could be good. you get also alot of enemy skills like Fire Breath as we've seen. Maby sub BST cuz I think BLU will have good Charisma for charming mobs.

Enfeeble. I think this is a good one. Spider web as we've seen, a good option. Enemy skills will only effect claimed enemies, since it's no GAspell.
            Maby blue mages can make it possible to take more than one enemy at the time more easilly.

Buffs. I don't think so. Enemies is normally alone, so I don't think there will be much enemy skills for other than your self on this one.

I think Blu will be based on charisma, wich can help enemy skills do more dmg/enfeeble etc... "Magic skills" does not exist on Blu. "Ability skills" does not exist at all, so I think CHR is it!

How Blu can learn Enemy skills is another question.
            Having an ability that help you learn another enemyskills, maby... What I think is that you get a Job Trait like "Learn" and it will be better when you level up "Improved learn trait". Maby you need enemies to do the enemy skills several times before you learn it, and when you get Improved Learn Trait, you can learn abilities faster.

That's my vision
            Last edited by robinkle; 10-13-2005, 08:19 AM.
            Robbins:
            Everything has atleast 1 positive side and atleast 1 negative side. Please tell about both sides when answering.

Comment

Originally posted by nazlfrag
              One way is a reflect spell, cast reflect on the pot and wait for the charge to get bounced back to you. I remember doing this for FFVII, as I became obsessed about finding all the enemy skills. There were only a couple of tricky ones in the end.

It is more likley though that BLU will get a Mime ability, and copy the enemy's every move. I hope they do implement a solution to this, as traditionally these type of spells are fairly powerful. However, the effect of the pots may be self-only, which would give a refresh without giving the game a new refresher. This would still be good, though, if accessable by a /blu sub. I could see rdm's job get a lot easier, maybe change entirely if the casters can /blu and self-refresh. It might even make a good pal sub, if the melee component of /blu is useful.

Anyway I just think its more likely we will see a Mime ability than Reflect, though I miss that spell..;( Element absorb would be nice too, but thats probably coming in a different job. Geomancer? Elementalist? Who knows but the gurus of Square..(/kneel)
              Reflect would be absolutely, unparalled in power in FFXI. Pull BLM type mobs and just sit around healing while reflect bounces the spell back at the monster and eventually kills it. Heck, grab an entire area of BLM mobs and have them all just start nuking away! Bouncing a 6 person Stonega back onto one monster might as well one shot it. Kirin would become an absolute joke. Suzaku's 2hr? Worthless.

As for Mime...that's possible but highly doubtful.

Originally posted by Faust
              Has anyone given thought about the possibility that the Blue Mages "spells" could be TP based?

Maybe they'd have a bonus to gaining TP or skills that would increase TP faster allowing them to then use, instead of weapon skills, monster skills. Especially since many monster skills are TP based...

Just a thought...

*ducks*
              In some interview, it was commented that Blue Mages would use MP. I wish they did use TP though...would make the job more skill based
              All spells obtained!
              Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

ok im 110% sure bum will not get self destruct. and if they do. it wll infact have xp loss. because think of it blue mages get self destruct. so now blue mages have ninja two hour as an ability?

Comment

I don't understand why people think BLU will not use mp. If all of the other FF games they did use mp for their spells. Also in regards to the original question, they may be better in combat than a RDM but I don't think they will be heavily involved in front-line combat in latter levels. There is already enough of those jobs.
                  You kill one man, your a murderer
                  Kill many and your a conquerer
                  Kill them all... your a God.

Comment

Just an FYI for statments of Blue Magic not using MP or used by TP. The closest possible I could see to this effect is Blue Magic requiring possibly 100+ TP and MP in order to use the effect.

Outside of that Blue Mages have always used MP to use a monsters ability. Blue Magic is manifesting a monster's ability, depending on what ability you attempt to manifest drains you spiritualy (Hence the need of MP).

As far as learning the ability in the past there has only been 1 way with about 3 variations. The only possible way to learn an ability was that the ability had to be used. The 3 variations after were simply 1) used on a person and they survive, 2) just used, 3) used on a person (don't have to survive).

The most common design for Blue Magic learning was the first mentioned, the second and third were odd balls only seen 1 FF game each (That I remember ever seeing). Second method metion I don't recall were it was but the third was from FFX-2.

Possible structures I could see for balancing the Blue Mage, restricted number of abilities that can be learned. In other words there may be 30-50 abilities to learn but the Blue Mage can only learn and use 6-12 at a given time, has to remove or forget an ability to learn another. Keep in mind these are of monster specific abilities so likely only learn skills that are not already obtainable by other jobs, likely there may be variations to other jobs abilities that may be learned (Example: Courels use Rage which is an Attack Boost).

Also to probably mention Blue Mages have association of being a BST and SMN mix job. Likely possibility that if the amount of abilities that can be learned is restricted, then a Scanning feature in which you can select an ability from the monster by watching it seems possible. Likely select the monster and select ability to learn if selected monster to watch uses the ability then Blue Mage learns it.

One thing for sure depending on what abilities the Blue Mage can learn this may open the gates to getting even more specifics on things such as monster's level ranges (If Lv. 5 Petrification is learnable). Also with this design though it seems possible that players possessing higher level characters might have the potential to learn monster abilities to use at lower levels that players without a high level character will not have a chance to obtain.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Originally posted by UnnamedGalka
                      Yeah...the AF alone makes a Blue Mage look quite fragile.
                      Right, but you have to understand the two factors that are demanding the AF.

First, aharbian setting from the expansion, pushes on the more 'turban style' equpment. Look at your classic arabian knights, they diddent wear much armor, but were quite physical.

Secondly, the style of Blue Mage has always been a mirror of Red Mage, light looking defence equipment, but still a deicent defence.

Red and Blue Mage have always been brother classes in FF, so I expect the roles to be similar, where Blue Mage is more focused on Damage where Red Mage is more focused on support.

Both through history have had the cappiblity of being Hybrid Jobs (Even Red Mage has that potenital, its just not commonly liked cause very few can do it right.) I expect that Blue Mage will origonally be intended to be a front line mage, like rdm was, but eventually, due to spectulation, it will be put in the back line next to his crimsom cosin.

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by Anaki
                        ok im 110% sure bum will not get self destruct. and if they do. it wll infact have xp loss. because think of it blue mages get self destruct. so now blue mages have ninja two hour as an ability?
                        Honestly. If you loose exp, you wil never use it.
                        Robbins:
                        Everything has atleast 1 positive side and atleast 1 negative side. Please tell about both sides when answering.

Comment

Originally posted by robinkle
                          Honestly. If you loose exp, you wil never use it.
                          Originally posted by Anaki
                          Self Destruct does damage equal to your HP. Start by using Whistle, Scissor Guard, Rhino Guard, and Metallic Body. Maybe also kick in Sigh and Thorn Song for good measure. Pull a pack of mobs that'll give you 200+. Use Sonic Wave (50% defense loss to enemies), Spike Flail, Dancing Chains, and then spam Cursed Sphere. When they are low on HP, use Sand Trap, Sheep Song/Dream Flower (Drown from Dancing Chains should have worn off), and use Sonic Wave again. Cast Bind Wave and proceed to use Pollen and Battery Charge till your HP is full and MP is sufficient. Now use Self Destruct in the center of them all. Should be enough to wipe them all out. Because they died before you did (damage from Self Destruct/Mijin Gakure is applied before self damage), you get all the exp they give.

While not easy, you just hafta look at everything at a different angle to see its usefulness
                          All spells obtained!
                          Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

Or you could use it if you were going to die anyway. You know that after you are wounded and the monster dies before you respawn that you get xp for the kill?
                            Last edited by SpiderKing; 10-14-2005, 02:08 PM.
                            "I'm up for anything, as long as it doesn't get me killed."

~Lycosius

Comment

Other thing I'm sure with Blue Magic is it's likely the reuse timer and/or the Blue Magic strength will be governed in many ways to prevent someone doing something way to overpowering like LadyPlethora stated.

For example constricting Blue Magic to work in ways similar to Blood Pact, use 1 Blue Magic and can't use any others till timer expires. Or they can constrict its strength to the Blue Magic ability, so then a Blue Mage with full Blue Magic skill using something like Self Destruct might do 50% of their remaining HP. If Self Destruct is implimented then either 1 of 2 two things I could see being done, Ninja's 2hr getting a revamp so that is still unique or maybe stronger or EXP loss when used (Use then would be sacrifice 1 for the many, Blue Mages would have something to use in an attempt to kill a monster that's likely to kill the entire party).

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Just to state my thoughts on the matter. From what I've read on this forum and other sources, it seems to me that a Blue Mage will probably be very similar to RDM, except that it'll primarily use abilities learned from monsters instead of spells. Apparently, it'll have enough attack and defense points to be on the front line and cast at the same time. (except maybe for Tarus T_T) Personally, I think that RDMs should pretty much always be on the front line, hitting the monster. Even if they don't do much damage, every little bit can help. And since you can cast even when engaged, there's really no reason that a RDM shouldn't use physical attacks as well. For a skillchain if nothing else. BLU sounds like it won't have much to offer as a melee fighter as well, but some monster abilities would probably require that you be engaged, so they'd need some ATT and DEF.

Comment

Working...
                                X