This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLU Meele!

Many people belive the the Blue mage will be a "refresher" or a form of rdm, I however do not think this to be the case. I have stated before in some other posts that i think BLU will be like a weaker form of a DRK (a meele class with some magic to back up the dmg). I'm not saying that i am right or that ANYONE is wrong or right. In the past BLU has been a meele character with some magic, and SE seems to say that this is what it will be. Here is waht SE has told other game magazines "Employing the legendary arts of Aht Urhgan, these formidable FIGHTER-MAGES employ elegantly curved blades for CLOSE COMBAT, WHILE DECIMATING THEIR ENEMIES FROM AFAR WITH FELL MAGIC mastered from their opponents." well thats just my 2 gil on what BLU will be like. Please no flames about my ideas, i do welcome "constructive" critisims or any other ideas you believe BLU will be like.

Take The Quiz Yourself!

Re: BLU Meele!

I'm guessing that they will start out as a Melee/caster. But knowing us, we'll some how turn it into something else.

I wouldn't be surprised if a few months later, BLU will be in the back line with the Mages. But it would be nice to be able to sub WAR and melee.
    Odude
    PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
    RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
    SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

Their AF looks really mage-like tho :O makes me think of those arabian guys with the magic tea pot. Hmm do you call that thing jinny lives inside a tea pot?
      There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
      but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
      transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

No... I disagree.

Looks like a front line mage.

Kinda like Rdm but more towards drk, on the mage side. Perhaps move around like brds.

Seems their monster like skills are often require close range, or direction, like breaths. Which would make them up in the front.

They are also seem to use dagger like weapons, so they will most likely not hit very hard, perhaps some thf like thrown in.

SE did say, they will be "different from what you have seen". So it may be a new form altogether.

Comment

Wouldn't it all depend on how the Blue Mage aquires it's abilities? If they way it does so is like Kimahri's Lancet ability then they wouldn't have to be right in the middle of the fray, but in the older FF versions for Blue Mage they needed to be hit with the spell/ability for them to learn it.

If the BLU is a full fledged mage type, that means they'd die horribly fast. I agree that they'll be more like DRK then anything else if that's the case, but noone will know til we see for ourselves I suppose.

Comment

SE has stated that Blue Mage will be a "mid-line" job, similar to Red Mage. Never mind the fact that Red Mages usually just sit around refreshing and debuffing.
            DRK75 BLM75 WAR37 THF37 NIN37 SAM38 WHM38 RDM37

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Moved to Blue Mage forums.

Yes, we have a Blue Mage forum now.
              PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
              Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
              WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
              Currently Playing:
              FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Unless they need TP to use their abilites (like SMN offensive Blood Pact) they probably won't melee in exp PT, but will be good at melee against weaker enemies.

Originally posted by Jei
                Their AF looks really mage-like tho :O makes me think of those arabian guys with the magic tea pot. Hmm do you call that thing jinny lives inside a tea pot?
                It's a lamp, the flame goes on the spout. The thing inside is a genie.

Comment

RDM was supposed to be a battle mage...sorta like DRK. Both are supposed to use a combination of magic and melee. However, notice that most DRKs do not cast (save for a few absorbs, drain/aspir, and an MB here and there) and a RDM rarely melees. FFXI seems to have little varying room. You're either a tank, a mage, or a damage dealer. While each plays differently, most people are gonna drop a job into one of those 3 areas, whether you be borderline of another or not.

I'd like to see Blue as a melee magic user who provides decent damage (scimitars tend to do some nice damage)while also helping with buffing/debuffing and some magical offensive.

As for a Refresher...I don't think there is any monster skill that restores MP to another person in any way. Battery Charge from Pots is a self only skill. While more refreshers would be nice...it'd be tough to work in...depending on what new monsters are in new areas
                  All spells obtained!
                  Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

So far I feel that RDM is a battlemage, I can't do magic or melee and not servive soloing. Of course I'm only lv 8 and a newb, but I don't see me changing my style.
                    "I'm up for anything, as long as it doesn't get me killed."

~Lycosius

Comment

Well SE has never really made 1 job look like another, aways some variation or another.

And we can't always count on xp pts here. As you can tell from CoP, there have been drastically different roles needed to be played by both melees and mages due to the lvl cap and pt limit.

A rdm many times in CoP does have to play the half DD half mage, holder.

In comparasion to the rdms, SE has changed them into whm/blm with a twist instead of drk which is fighter/mage. Not really a mid-line mage

No matter what a drk will always be handly with a stun, and a pld cures if nothing else, so there's still those mage qualities. They will never be without tapping in magic.

If SE does want another mage inbetween those two, a blue mage might do it. Not only do you get direct damage monster abilities, but also self enchancing monster abilities. We all know there are some of those. We'll have to see how SE spins it.

This is kinda treading on SMN terroritory, except they can't split hate lol.

Comment

I hope BUM get's a focus at some point. "Jack of all trades" is nice, but "master of none" is a really bad place to be in this game. I can easily imagine them being behind WHM, RDM, and SMN for healing, behind real melees or BLM and SMN for DD, and weaker at "support" than RDM, BRD or SMN. Yet with some esoteric uses that Square somehow believes balances them out.

Originally posted by SpiderKing
                        So far I feel that RDM is a battlemage, I can't do magic or melee and not servive soloing. Of course I'm only lv 8 and a newb, but I don't see me changing my style.
                        You'll learn different someday, hopefully.

Comment

As for a Refresher...I don't think there is any monster skill that restores MP to another person in any way. Battery Charge from Pots is a self only skill. While more refreshers would be nice...it'd be tough to work in...depending on what new monsters are in new areas
                          One way is a reflect spell, cast reflect on the pot and wait for the charge to get bounced back to you. I remember doing this for FFVII, as I became obsessed about finding all the enemy skills. There were only a couple of tricky ones in the end.

It is more likley though that BLU will get a Mime ability, and copy the enemy's every move. I hope they do implement a solution to this, as traditionally these type of spells are fairly powerful. However, the effect of the pots may be self-only, which would give a refresh without giving the game a new refresher. This would still be good, though, if accessable by a /blu sub. I could see rdm's job get a lot easier, maybe change entirely if the casters can /blu and self-refresh. It might even make a good pal sub, if the melee component of /blu is useful.

Anyway I just think its more likely we will see a Mime ability than Reflect, though I miss that spell..;( Element absorb would be nice too, but thats probably coming in a different job. Geomancer? Elementalist? Who knows but the gurus of Square..(/kneel)

Comment

Has anyone given thought about the possibility that the Blue Mages "spells" could be TP based?

Maybe they'd have a bonus to gaining TP or skills that would increase TP faster allowing them to then use, instead of weapon skills, monster skills. Especially since many monster skills are TP based...

Just a thought...

*ducks*

Comment

Originally posted by Faust
                              Has anyone given thought about the possibility that the Blue Mages "spells" could be TP based?

Maybe they'd have a bonus to gaining TP or skills that would increase TP faster allowing them to then use, instead of weapon skills, monster skills. Especially since many monster skills are TP based...

Just a thought...

*ducks*
                              That would probably overlap with the Samurai's skills, possibly making sub SAM too uber. Not to mention it would likely make Samurai feel less special.
                              DRK75 BLM75 WAR37 THF37 NIN37 SAM38 WHM38 RDM37

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Working...
                              X