Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two common misconceptions about Elemental Magic.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Two common misconceptions about Elemental Magic.

Well, percentages are multiplicative, so if mag def bonus was really a multiplicative effect, it shouldn't have affected the results one iota.

I'm guessing something isn't exactly as it appears here.
    I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Comment

heheheh you silly people... Thanks for the info known since blm was created.

Comment

Originally posted by nugzkraka
        heheheh you silly people... Thanks for the info known since blm was created.
        Thank you for your well thought out and informative contribution to the discussion.
        I believe most sigs are like the people they represent - useless, loud and obnoxious.

Comment

@Aeni - Is it possible the ABS-Spells have an elemental attribute? just like landing shock/burn/etc. It would be odd since they're already dark-based, I know.

The Greataxe Break line of WSs are all non-elemental, yet they have an elemental correlation. Shield Break lowers evasion, evasion corresponds with AGI, and AGI is lowered by Frost. No coincidence that if a mob has high Ice resistance, they will resist the effects of Shield Break. This works just like enfeebles as far as I can see -- it either gets resisted or gets partial resists.

But falling back to ABS spells. Even if they had an elemental correlation, mobs strong to darkness still resist more, don't they? (<--- told by a friend who's a nice guy, but not the best investigator)
          "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lmnop
            @Aeni - Is it possible the ABS-Spells have an elemental attribute? just like landing shock/burn/etc. It would be odd since they're already dark-based, I know.

The Greataxe Break line of WSs are all non-elemental, yet they have an elemental correlation. Shield Break lowers evasion, evasion corresponds with AGI, and AGI is lowered by Frost. No coincidence that if a mob has high Ice resistance, they will resist the effects of Shield Break. This works just like enfeebles as far as I can see -- it either gets resisted or gets partial resists.
            Hmmm ... that is a very awesome observation O.O I failed to see the correlation, but now that you mentioned it. I can go test it ... now's a great time, since I just p/u Ground Strike quest and ... uh ... soloing EPs ... >_>

But falling back to ABS spells. Even if they had an elemental correlation, mobs strong to darkness still resist more, don't they? (<--- told by a friend who's a nice guy, but not the best investigator)
            The examples given were on these monsters:

-Crabs (Robber Crabs - all EP/DC)
            -Gamut of EP/DC Orcs (For my level)
            -Gamut of EP/DC Quads (For my level)
            -Manticores (Huah! MP Down ftw >.< )
            -Tulwar Scorpions
            -Weapons (Exp - Moon)
            -Goblins (Exp - Bibiki Bay)

Comment

I agree with the whole shock/burn part of the discussion, also the int effects accuracy, but when you guys started talking about MND a few alarms started going off. Maybe i didn't properly understand some of the posts but isn't MND related to "magic defense". I mean INT is the equivalent of attk for us whith a few other factors thrown in while MND is the equivalent of base mgc.def.(for BLMs since we don't get the MDB trait)

Go out and test this. getting hit with a spell while having all you +INT gear on and - MND gear on will produce more dmg then if you had all -INT gear on and + MND gear. Hence meaning MND = our base defense against spells, a mix of INT and MND will work wonders if you want balanced spell defense (note the use of the word defense and not resist)
              Last edited by Paradox; 04-17-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

MND is not magic defense. The damage done/taken is based off INT. That's why we Burn to increase damage, not Shock.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

While i agree with what you just said, i'm uncertain if the same mechanics apply to us when it comes from a monster.

Maybe i'm just confusing myself but last time i tested this, that's what i came up with.

I'll take your words over mine since the discussion has been going in alot of details but when the server's come back up i encourage you to go confirm my "expectations".

it's just that mind has a role when it comes to either defense or resist, it's not just simply a "makes cures stronger/makes whm spells land"

Comment

Originally posted by Paradox
                    While i agree with what you just said, i'm uncertain if the same mechanics apply to us when it comes from a monster.

Maybe i'm just confusing myself but last time i tested this, that's what i came up with.

I'll take your words over mine since the discussion has been going in alot of details but when the server's come back up i encourage you to go confirm my "expectations".

it's just that mind has a role when it comes to either defense or resist, it's not just simply a "makes cures stronger/makes whm spells land"
                    Are you working off of that angle of STR and VIT?

VIT being the Defense (Melee)
                    STR being the Offense (Melee)

So, it then follows that if SE were logical, that ...

MND being the Defense (Magic)
                    INT being the Offense (Magic)

Also that...

DEX has something to do with accuracy
                    AGI has something to do with evasion

However ... we all know that the STATs for each and every job affects different things. In other words, there is no "solid" or "permanent" description of what those STATs can or cannot do for a job class.

CHR affects charm for BST and songs for BRD ... but what about other jobs? I think maybe it still has something to do with enmity ... maybe a lot of CHR "cools" down your enmity build up faster than having nothing on ...

Who knows?

Comment

I am a lvl 70 brd and a lvl 50 blm so I have to mention a few things I do in my pty to help out my mithra BLM. Right before the MB I will threnody to lower resists. Then I will sage etude to raise INT +14. My BLM almost never gets resists, times it perfect and hits hard. If you ever pty with a brd ask for those songs at the appropriate time and watch the dmg fly!

Comment

Working...
                      X