Sub Job Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Job Questions

Well atm my bst is 32 and ive been subbing nin since 24 but now im switching back to my mage sub which my only mage lvled up really is my rdm60 my whm is only 12 but anyway my question is can i lvl my bst up as bst/rdm? will i run into many problems not being bst/whm? I realise i might have to lvl my whm at somepoint. But i rather get my bst higher first before going back down to a lower lvl job to lvl up.

Re: Sub Job Questions

BST/rdm is fine for the most part, although not having status cures means you'll have to rely on potions.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

BST/RDM here /wave

Up to level 50, I played /RDM almost exclusively. The only time I didn't was 26-27 when the lack of Cure II was a nightmare. As you're already past that, it shouldn't be a problem .

I didn't miss the -na spells as /RDM, Regen meant I didn't need to rely on Cure III and spells like Bio, Gravity, Blind and Sleep have come in pretty handy.
      However, since level 50, I've found myself using /WHM more and more. I started using it as a sub in Beseiged, for extra mp and Raise. Then I used it while fighting spiders in Quicksand Caves after they set off on a mass poisoning spree .

The real kicker for me though is Auto-Regen. I use Regen a lot - particularly when I'm not too badly hurt but want to top-up my hp - as I can cast it while engaged and draw less hate than from a Cure. Auto-Regen means I have 15 more mp available for other things, and if you have a standard mana pool of 49mp, that's quite a sizable chunk.

While /WHM, the two spells I've really missed from /RDM are Bio and Gravity. Given that I know how much I miss with Gravity on RDM main with capped enfeebling, I can see that being less and less useful unfortunately.

My advice would be to stick with /RDM till 50, then try /WHM to and see what works for you in different situations.
      I have heard that those who celebrate life
      walk safely amongst the wild animals.
      When they go into battle, they remain unharmed,
      the animals find no place to attack them
      and weapons are unable to harm them.
      Why? Because they find no place for death in them.

Comment

/RDM gains a useful tool a bit later when you get access to Dispel at BST64/RDM32. Aside from that and Bio I/II, there's really not much advantage to BST/RDM. All non-Bio/Dia enfeebles will have a difficult time sticking, and are usually a waste of MP after about level 20, and Phalanx only reduces damage by about 10-11 points even at BST75/RDM37.

Icemage

Comment

Main thing you miss /RDM vs. /WHM are the status removal spells: Poisona, Blindna, Paralyna, etc. Sure, you could take meds with you, but some can be a bit expensive. Another option is to target mobs that don't inflict status ailments.

As far as the benefits of /RDM, the big one is Dispel (there have been many times I wish I had a Dispel--mainly for mobs with defensive boosts). Icemage already stated Phalanx isn't that useful.

As far as access to Bio, I'd rather use Dia anyways to help kill mobs faster (most other enfeebles will be hard to stick).
          BST66

Have you hugged your Taru today =)

Comment

Actually you can go bst/rdm til 75. i know bst who have gone bst/nin 1-75/ so not having status cure effects wont kill you. An if it matters much i was a 75 bst/25 whm.

In the end it dont matter, i ended up finishing of whm to 37, then finishing off rdm to 37. An most likely so would u. but ya know it wouldnt kill ya to lvl whm real quit to 30 or to 37 an never bothering with it again, cause hell you can always use it for a rdm sub =)

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

I've xp'd with /WHM /RDM and /NIN. They all work. I would say for most situations the benefits of /WHM (auto-regen, divine seal, status effect cures, erase, dia, raise) will beat out /RDM (dispel, bio), but both are totally workable. If you don't have WHM leveled but want to keep going with BST/RDM, do it. However, I should say that ever since I've leveled WHM to 37, I've gone back to RDM sub only a couple times.
              75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
              99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
              Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
              FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
              FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Bov View Post
                I've xp'd with /WHM /RDM and /NIN. They all work. I would say for most situations the benefits of /WHM (auto-regen, divine seal, status effect cures, erase, dia, raise) will beat out /RDM (dispel, bio), but both are totally workable. If you don't have WHM leveled but want to keep going with BST/RDM, do it. However, I should say that ever since I've leveled WHM to 37, I've gone back to RDM sub only a couple times.
                LoL i dont even find myself using either mage job nowadays unless i need to tele. otherwise its nin all the way..

Back on topic, /whm will be best for most your lvls. But if you duo, /rdm is a nice add on. especially in the 60's when you fight more an more crabs that need to be dispeled alot.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

Another benefit of /WHM is reraise after 66. At least, if BST leveling is still as dangerous as people say it used to be, half your exp back (and not having to run back to the area) is a heck of a lot better than nothing. Then again, you could also get reraise from items if you want it, so it's really just saving a little gil. Oh, and erase after 64; like status cures and dispel, the usefulness of erase depends a lot on what you're fighting.

A friend of mine has been leveling as BST/BLU lately and he seems to be loving it (and I know he has WHM and NIN leveled, so it's by choice). He's up to 40-something IIRC so clearly the lack of cure 2 and status removal isn't anything he can't handle.
                  Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                  RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                  All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                    Another benefit of /WHM is reraise after 66. At least, if BST leveling is still as dangerous as people say it used to be, half your exp back (and not having to run back to the area) is a heck of a lot better than nothing. Then again, you could also get reraise from items if you want it, so it's really just saving a little gil. Oh, and erase after 64; like status cures and dispel, the usefulness of erase depends a lot on what you're fighting.

A friend of mine has been leveling as BST/BLU lately and he seems to be loving it (and I know he has WHM and NIN leveled, so it's by choice). He's up to 40-something IIRC so clearly the lack of cure 2 and status removal isn't anything he can't handle.
                    I've been goin Bst/Blu - so far so good (I have rdm, whm and nin leveled to be able to sub them up to 50bst minimum) so I do it by choice also. Cocoon does not get nurfed subbing it so you get the def bonus, pollen works good enough for now, only level 32 atm so we'll see, and actually wild oats and headbutt stick rather well - so you can stun and drop the mobs vitality. I guess what I like about it the most once you get to highers levels w/all the spells you can equip with +chr you basically getting a free monster signa. I am bst32/blu16 and I get +6chr just from spells, plus my equipable gear and tuna sushi throw me at +21 chr I believe, not bad considering my level I think. Well I may change my mind when I get to higher levels with this job but for now i'm gonna go with /blu.

Comment

Working...
                    X