How to Solo your Gaudy Harness - revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to Solo your Gaudy Harness - revisited

thanks to you and Truls, managed to solo Thief,Ranger and Beastmaster fomors using Gloops ^^
    the Oil spills did fine, but i liked using DC against IT.

Dragoon
    75 | Beastmaster75 | Thief69

Comment

Old thread but great write up none the less. Although I'm 0/4 on the subligar its still fun as hell trying to charm successfuly and not agro anything. @65 BST right now and after reading about Sky + Gaudy/Rune axe combo being sweet, I guess its finally time to get this body piece.

|| 75 Warrior || 75 Black Mage || 75 Bard || 75 Beastmaster || 75 Red Mage ||

Comment

Originally posted by Juiced View Post
        Old thread but great write up none the less. Although I'm 0/4 on the subligar its still fun as hell trying to charm successfuly and not agro anything. @65 BST right now and after reading about Sky + Gaudy/Rune axe combo being sweet, I guess its finally time to get this body piece.
        Gaudy + dual rune axes is pretty nice, but I still find myself doing just Gaudy with /WHM a lot. It's too bad you've waited this long to get your Gaudy Harness. It totally changes the way you can play the job.
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Great guide! I just felt like I could probably add some things that weren't mentioned, even if this comes 2 years after the first post.

<Soloing with VT-IT Oil Spill + 2H Familiar>

This is the easiest way to kill the fomors as your pet is practically indestructible with Reward. Charming Oil Spill with around +19 CHR and CHR food (eg. tuna sushi +5, flint caviar +4) won't be a problem, even if the slime is IT. I've never died more than once while trying to charm the Oil Spill, RR is mandatory however, incase you get an unlucky streak. Fight in the hallway near Fomor room (D/E-11/12), far enough to not get aggroed by Low HP (Fomors have AoE Drown move). Reward pet as neccessary. (note: Fomor NIN's Elemental Ninjutsu can take slime's HP down fast)

Fighting Stegosaur (or any Taurus-type mob):

If you get hate from Stego, it's quite easy to kill them with VT-IT slime. They don't have any elemental moves that could really hurt your Oil Spill. The thing to watchout for, as mentioned, is Mortal Ray. All Taurus-type mobs can use Mortal Ray which causes Doom, if its target is facing the user. Taking this into account, it's possible to avoid Mortal Ray by Heeling your pet when you see Mortal Ray coming. It takes a fair amount of concentration but it's doable.

Do not fight or melee yourself. Let your pet fight and keep a distance of about 5-10 metres to the Taurus-type monster while facing the opposite direction yourself (incase you get hate and get hit by Mortal Ray). You need enough room between you and your pet to make sure it turns its back to the mob when you Heel it. Have your fingers ready on your Heel macro and use it immediately when you see incoming Mortal Ray. Let your pet Fight again and take a comfirtable distance again. Use Reward after TP moves if needed, so you don't have to worry about Heel right away. Filtering all damage makes it easier to spot Mortal Ray coming. (note: You can solo CoP 2-3 Minotaur with VT-IT Oil Spill using the same Mortal Ray avoidance)

You can practice by using DC Gloops and killing the DC Taurus near the entrance to Phomiuna.

If you do not wish to fight do this: Make pet fight the Stegosaur, run out of aggro range, heel pet, run to ladder, climb up and run a bit further into the tunnel. This will drop all hate from the Stego, lets you keep your pet and ensures you don't get aggroed again. (Stegos can aggro from below the ladder if you stand too close to the ledge)

<Soloing with DC Gloop + T Canal Bats>

It's possible to solo Fomors without your 2H. If you've used it and don't want to wait for 1½ hours, you can try this. This strategy uses a DC slime to pull the Fomor and T bats to finish it. You will most likely need pet food to make the pull successfully.

Charm DC Gloop from D-4 (first map, FFXI-Atlas) and run to the Fomor room (D/E-11/12). Pull the BST Fomor, by attacking his pet bat and without getting links from the Hell Bats, to the hallway. Kill his pet with your Gloop. You'll have to keep using Fight since the BST Fomor will be stealing hate. Reward to keep your Gloop's HP up.

When the pet bat is dead, let Gloop fight the BST and run past the Stegos to the ladder. Heel your pet and let him pull the BST near the ladder, make your pet Fight the BST once again. Climb the ladder and run bit further into the corridor. Cast Blink/Utsusemi, if your Gloop still has some HP left. Heel your pet, so it pulls the BST up the ladder and make it fight the BST again. The hardest part is done, rest is up to luck.

Time for pet swapping. Back up towards D-5 (first map, FFXI-Atlas) and you'll find 2 T Canal Bats. When Gloop is getting low in HP, use Leave (so it'll repop faster for next pull). Charm Canal Bats and swap between them to finish the Fomor. Charm doesn't stick long on T pets at lvl40 so be ready for uncharms and swap often. Be also prepared to kite, since mischarms do happen. (though they don't feel nearly as bad when you've tried charming IT Oil Spill )

If you get aggroed by Stegosaur while using this strategy, do as I mentioned earlier: Put pet on Stego, run out of aggro range, Heel and climb up a ladder.

*These strategies are based on my own experiences and might not work for everyone. Feel free to improvise and experiment on your own.
          Last edited by Kitfox; 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM. Reason: Confirmed: climbing a ladder while pet is not fighting a target, all hate is dropped.
          Kitfox / BST69/THF47/WHM42/NIN32
          Server: Siren / Linkshell: Aequitas

Comment

The fact that the Gaudy Harness is pink is reason alone to have it. Refresh and CHR come in a distant 2nd.
            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Working...
            X