Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mistral Axe :D

Hi everybody

I recently leveled into Mistral Axe, and I've been wondering - has anyone found situations where it's more handy to use than good ole reliable Rampage?

A duo partner and myself were using the fact that it's a ranged WS(strange as that may sound) to finish off our prey without a scratch. Unfortunately . . . Baleful Gaze is a ranged attack too . . . LONG range ><

During the times it came off without a hitch, it seemed to be a pretty reliable method of finishing off that last little sliver.

Has anyone else out there played around with it much?

Any and all experiences and opinions are greatly appreciated ^^
    Sig coming soon to a PC near you

You can die on your knees . . . or you can stand.

Re: Mistral Axe :D

Well the #1 useage is making light before Decimation.

For example… If you mistral -> Spining Slash and the Drk get double dmg.. like 1k + 1k then it was obviously worthwhile losing the 600-800ish rampage.

Not to say this phenomenon always happens. Just that Light/Darknes (Lvl 3) skillchains have the potential to be really nice. ^^
    Last edited by Silkiv; 07-07-2006, 07:41 AM.
    Galka Cor 75/Rng 37 Bst 75/Nin 37 Blm 75/Whm 38
    Taru Rdm 61 / Blm 41 *retired*
    Mithra - Rdm 53, Pld 45, Blm 38, War 23, whm 36 *retired*

Comment

I was using Mistral Axe as my finishing weapon skill on Flamingos in Sky at lvl 72. My Rampages were having accuracy problems and doing anything from 80-400, but my Mistral Axe was much more consistent at 250-350, so I switched over to it.

It's also a ranged weapon skill so it can come in handy when a mob is moving around a lot and you want to use your TP, or for the rare time when you might want to claim something quickly and you have TP.

Also, as mentioned it's the first WS that allows us to do Lvl 3 Light skillchains.

EDIT: Oh I should add that some people have found that Mistral Axe's accuracy is also not always reliable. I xp'd on flamingos for >30k xp and didn't miss once, but some people report that it misses a lot on certain mobs.
      75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
      99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
      Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
      FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
      FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

Ah! Duly noted. Have you had much experience with using it in a solo/duo environment?

Also, to the best of your knowledge, does it seem to work under the same constraints that other ranged attacks(WS or therwise) do? That is, is it less accurate if you're standing basically on top of what you're fighting?

Comment

Haha, I snuck my post in there while you were typing your response up. =p
          75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
          99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
          Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
          FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
          FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

lol that you did

Comment

I like Rampage and Decimation more.. Decimation being a 3-hitter… Usually if just spamming tp Rampage gives best damage returns.

Bov pointed out some good use for Mistral. Another is if you get paranoid about bombs and dolls self-destruct.

When I first learned Mistral I had problems being to far away though.. If you are out of range you still lose tp.
              Galka Cor 75/Rng 37 Bst 75/Nin 37 Blm 75/Whm 38
              Taru Rdm 61 / Blm 41 *retired*
              Mithra - Rdm 53, Pld 45, Blm 38, War 23, whm 36 *retired*

Comment

Good deal, guys.

Thanks for the info ^^

Comment

I used Mistral in Upper Delkfut's for style to finish off pots :p

Besides that.....it is only really better than rampage if you are on a kited mob or need to open light for someone and do not have Deciamation.

Comment

I kinda preferred using mistral axe while I was fighting qiqirn in Aydeewa around level 69. The rng ones will often move away from it's target, and love to do it right when you release your pet. Mistral axe = no tp loss from this ^^
                    Fyori - BST of Phoenix
                    My FFXI Photobucket account

Comment

is the distance on mistral the same as other ranged ws?
                      Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                      ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

When I was messing around with it, it would only work up to just before the edge of my radar. I don't play rng so I don't know if rng ws are longer than that.

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
                        Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

Radar range usage has been my experience with it so far as well.

Last night I was using it for those situations where I'd taken a pretty good beating in a hotswap but didn't wanna waste time mid-chain to run off and heal myself back up. It seemed to be working just fine for those times where I was better off keeping my distance.

Comment

that's awesome! i cant wait till 66 for mistral.

I always hated having to keep stoneskin/blink up for that final sliver of hp. Even if i did only get hit once while letting rampage finish off the mob, it still pretty much makes stoneskin useless. I hate reapplying that spell ><.

axe chucking taru here i come.
                            Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                            ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

What lvl is your bst these days omni?

36 War/15 Mnk/22 Thf/62 Pld/Bst 75/Nin 33/Whm 36/Blm 19/Cor 7
                              Full Af X2 • Rank 8 • Alchemy 65

Comment

Working...
                              X