Do I need a hauby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do I need a hauby?

Haubergeon ~ I wanted it for the longest time. I never felt i NEEDED it, but it was just one of those items that I had my heart set on. Its clearly not something that you have to have. It can help sure, but a close friend of mine was still in BST AF + Gaudy at 73.

Hauberk ~ Same thing. Not at all vital to my leveling, but again, it was something I saved for and worked for and finally had.

I still have both pieces of armor. The Haubergeon is still used quite often, for Solo ENM, for 60 Capped Assaults and currently for CoP (Snoll Tzar was at 2% life last night... before he killed my BST friends and I >.<).

Gaudy ~ Well this is by far the single most amazing equip I have. Thanks to the evil Brigit i was unable to get my Gaudy until i could come back to her in a Beak Jerkin... which was level 58. =( But once i had it, it was another world, especially being Galka. And like most, even with Haubergeon and later Hauberk, i was often seeing myself in Gaudy for the Regen.

I have used it WITH Sanction Refresh just to get MP at 2 a tick until 49, but being able to refresh without it was a nice change.

Gaudy > Haubergeon in a lot of ways. Totally different pieces of gear, but you know what i mean.
    ~Beastmaster 75 | White Mage 41 | Ninja 50~

Comment

To be honest with you guys. i have never ever used a Gaudy Harness. ive never really needed it. to hear players call it the be all end all armor is funny to me.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

gaudy rules! you die now lil ninja! die!

jk

its just such a great piece of armor if you /whm or /rdm.
        you will never have to sit for mp again (unless you want to raise)
        that's why ppl love it. i love mine.
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Omni-Ragnarok
          its just such a great piece of armor if you /whm or /rdm.
          you will never have to sit for mp again (unless you want to raise)
          that's why ppl love it. i love mine.
          Don't forget /NIN with Dual Runes and a piece of mp+ gear. Works wonders when you need some HP, and also the weaker runes don't take as much hate so you can keep fighting.
          Name: Vauce
          Server: Pandemonium
          Linkshell: BSTinc, HonorGuard
          Dynamis LS: Limitbreak
          BST75 - 15 June 2006
          Alchemy [87] Woodworking [60]
          PM3-5 - Completed!

Comment

I play as 57bst/whm and I have a gaudy. I let pet tank hitting the mob about 5X or so before I start attacking. Normally I got no probs unless pet starts missing like mad. Less I get hit less hp/mp I burn and can chain longer. With a hauby I would worry I would steal hate from pet alot. If you sub nin that might be np but think with sub whm could cause more down time less chains. Looked up price on my sever its going for 3.8mil. Might borrow one from friend to try it so I do not end up getting it for that much then have to turn around and sell it because it causes me too much hate over pet. REAL nice armor if I was drk or sam I would get this no question.

I am more thrilled that I can soon wear my AF body!

Comment

It probably does sound funny... since you haven't used one =P

<----- Galka. 49 MP is pretty much just less than half my total MP in Melee Gear =P

And when I want to mess around I thow on my Gaudy, my /NIN, a Rune Axe, and piss mages off during Beseiged because they can't use their MP on me to Cure.

Gaudy really is a great equip, essentially free with a bit of work at it, so every BST should at least try it out if they can.
              ~Beastmaster 75 | White Mage 41 | Ninja 50~

Comment

Wearing a hauby is the best thing I've ever done for my damage. I was actually in a party when I hit 59 (I still don't know how that happened >.>), and... I was shocked how much my damage and acc went up when I leveled. I don't recall my per-swing damage going up a lot, but that's probably because I had like over +100 attack at the time (I was the only one using meat in the party, and the bard was using 2x minuets). My accuracy went up a fair bit, and I was able to keep up on tp better (the other melee was using sushi). My rampages went from 2-4 hit 200-300 damage to 4-5 hit 300-500 damage, and one freak accident 700+. Most of the added damage in this case was probably due to the extra accuracy, but I'm sure the +attack and +str would help more in situations where it's less abundant.

Solo-wise, it's still pretty helpfull. Not quite as usefull as a gaudy harness, but still good. I have a macro that switches between my hauby and gaudy. I use gaudy whenever I'm under 49 mp, and switch to hauby when I'm either finishing off a mob, or my mp is at 49 and pet is holding hate fine.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But it sure is a nice piece of armor.

Also, +- evade is a placebo as far as I'm concerned. For reference, I've had sicle slash miss me more often than not, even with hauby on.
                Fyori - BST of Phoenix
                My FFXI Photobucket account

Comment

Unfortunatly if you ever want a hope in ever getting a party as bst you should have this but its up to you if you want/need it for solo play. The price of fairy is hovering around 6.5 mil which is not too bad, im starting to save as a lvl 38 bst so i can get mine when i hit 59 .

Comment

I was 75 before I had a Hauby :p

Then me and some friends just did ODS/Copycat 2-3 times a week till be burned all our seals.

Comment

the power of the beast!!

Thankfully you have the freedom with this job. I know people as a samurai that clearly state "hauby is requireed!!". I hate this mentality since i never wanted to pay for an item that i would only use 1/10th the time.

Buy it if you want, sell it if you want but one this is clear. Beastmasters don't NEED it. NEED meaning a nessesity that you cannot live without. When i hit 75 i was still using a royal nights body and practicly has a perma gaudy harness. I use /nin and / whm both. The item is not needed but i will admit: it complete my dream of having it. BST pants and gaudy look unqiue anyway :p

Comment

Hauby is nice to have, but definitely not "needed".
                        Most of BSTs I PTed with had Hauby.
                        But I figured, it's safer without Hauby because you get less hate.
                        Especially lv66 - 70 at Boyahda.
                        I was kill by one uppercut at least twice..., which wouldn't have happened if I didn't have Hauby.

Comment

Working...
                        X