This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the Ranks..

Later today, I'll ding 10 as BST. Then I'll head back to Bastok and change into a BST/WHM (I've been pure melee BST/WAR up until this point) and go out into the wide world. Once I'm there I'll start to begin to charm things.

I look forward to being able to play alone, and actually gain levels. I can make my own pet food and broths when that comes into play.

The only thing is that being a Galka I'm woried about how much I'll be traveling on the short bus. I know that I'll need to level my WHM soon, as it can only take me to BST20. After that it'll be the dreded doomz and healing.

Basically what I want to know is what kind of cheap (or not cheap... eek) MP+ and CHR gear that I can find at that level. I'm concerned about the natural stats (read: limitations) of the Galka and how to overcome them as best I can.

I'll probably be taking a crapload of pies with me, and materials for making Yag Drinks or somthing... depending on the regional vendors. I wish I could cook the pies I want to eat, but I can't see myself taking cooking over 60.

Anyway, all of that aside: I look forward to joining the ranks.
    66MNK | 37WAR | 22SAM | 20THF | 20BST | 18 NIN | 17BLM | 10WHM
    Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
    01 / 10 on Hoo Mjuu the Torrent (Monster Signa: O)
    01 / 08 on Mee Deggi the Punisher (Ochiumsha Kote:
    O)
    01 / 04 on Quu Domi the Gallant (Sarutobi Kyahan: O)

Re: Joining the Ranks..

At 24 you can always sub nin. The amount of dmg that is negated with ichi, at times is just as good if not better than having /whm at those lower levels.

As far as mp goes, theres nothing really great in terms of mp items besides astrals, but thats not exactly inexpensive. you can try hairpins for mp and a few earrings to give you a slight boost. I think if i were a galka, i'd eat pies and bring around stacks of water crystals and pineapples. cheap and easy mp regen drinks.

As you progress, I dont think it'll matter as much to be honest. If you are able to get a gaudy harness, it doesnt matter what race you are since you will most likely be always sitting at 49mp always. The only thing that might limit you is to be able to cast Raise on someone. you might have to equip a few mp items to do so.
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

I am only 20 BST myself but as a Galka don't forget that you can also go the BST/NIN route in a few exp areas. It is sometimes even better to use than /WHM. If you want to really make up for Galka's CHR you need a Monster Insignia. Either pay the average 400k? or camp it for a few days...or weeks. If you go /WHM make sure you have the best pies that give the most MP...I think rolanberry is the top one?

Comment

Another option would be to alternate between BST/WHM and WHM/BST until your WHM is 37. Charm's effectiveness is based on your BST's actual level, instead of being gimped by the subjob's half-level. So if you take BST to 20, you'll be able to charm about as effectively as WHM/BST all the way to 20. That way you don't have to worry about MP and CHR as WHM any more than you do as BST.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

It's also possible to solo as a whm/bst, if divine is capped or near capped. WHM have a surprising amount of power at their disposal if used properly.

You'll be able to land every enfeeblement probably 95% or more of the time on simple T mobs, and Banish does just enough damage to be able to kill a mob that's at a sliver, even a Tough one. If it doesn't, go through your enfeeblements and beat it to death, hammers are very powerful whm-only beating sticks. Steer clear of the flimsy mage robes and get a good shield and the more defensive sets of whm-equippable armor. Also consider eating tank food to increase your defense, but make sure it doesn't lower a crucial stat like mnd.

Since you don't get Heel until whm20, and Stay until whm30, you might just have to deal with an EXP cut if your pet doesn't die. Better to live with an exp cut than die and lose xp, anyway.

I'm sure you're used to carrying multiple sets of equipment; it'll pay to get a set for charisma and another set for accuracy/attack, and the last one for mind.

I can't speak about bst/nin, having my ninja at level 1, but it won't much help you until bst24 when you get Utsusemi.

-sam
          "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

As for going BST/WHM as galka I wouldn't worry too much. You should be just fine.

You'll get a big CHR boost from gear at 14 and 15 (hope rings, bird whistle, noble ribbon) and if you've got the cash you can get the monster signa at 17 (however many people think this is overkill and not worth it -- if you've got the cash then I say get it and judge for yourself).

On the MP side of things, rolanberry pie is the way I'd go.

As a low level BST, I think you'll be very happy that you can take hits as a Galka. That last sliver can take painfully long and I'm sure some of our Taru BST friends would have traded their MP for your HP on several occasions. =p

Once you get through these trial levels and get to lvls 60+ you'll be happy you're a galka. I'm shelling out some serious cash right now each extra STR and HP I can get and you'll be getting those free for just being you.
            75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
            99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
            Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
            FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
            FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

right. i would gladly trade the base 159mp i have @59 for some more hp. i think im sitting at 850 something hp, while say hume has over 1000 by now.

that extra vit and hp in the lower levels mean a LOT.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

So, since I'm somewhat comfortable about my MP now... what should I focus on casting? Enfeebs or just to cure myself? Cure my pet? Not exactly sure...
                Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                O)

Comment

Only way to cure your pet is with pet food and the Reward ability. I tended not to do more than Dia/Paralyze and save the rest for curing, but I only took BST to 18 so that's not exactly authoritative.
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

yes and no... sure when I had my Signa EQ'ed and got hit, I'd take an extra 10-20 dmg, but if I was getting hit, something was wrong and/or I misscharmed -_-

Um... that's all I have to add... it's been a slow day for me and I just hav-
                    JESUSCHRISTIT'SALIONGETINTHECAR!

(>:3)

Double Post Edited:
                    and damn do I take to long to reply to posts... by the time I read/typed/and posted, 2 other posts, where posted before mine @_@
                    Last edited by GaugeChambers; 05-23-2006, 10:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

above image has not been photoshopped
                    yes I have no life, yes those are my jobs
                    reason blu/cor/pup aren't lvled is... well... I have a girlfriend now

Comment

Right... I can't cure, so Dia will help my mob do more damage (or take less, can't remember off the cuff) and Paralyze will help with that as well. I guess I'm correct in assuming I can't buff my pet at all, but... since I want him to die anyway, I guess its not really a consideration.
                      Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                      O)

Comment

yes, at lvl 10 you want your pet to die just in time so that your prey is at 1% kinda life bar, so all you have to do is give it 1 hit and you get full XP bonus.

but don't count on that at lvl 10, it's faster to just take the penalty and keep moving.

as for the whm sub... once you get it to 37 you'll be a happy duck. atm my whm is still 32...

(I need ta update that sig pic)

but I'm not really worried about that since it'll be a long time till I really need to push my whm to cap for sub...

and as a fellow Galka, don't worry about Curing yourself, Selbina Milk is your friend.

a tip that I've come to find out... if you look at your compass/radar and move just far enough away that the 2 dots that are your pet/prey are *just* off the edge, then cure, (depending on hate lvls) you have a better chance of not catching hell for Curing.

and no, you can't really buff your pet at all till it's AF time, when Pet biscuits add a kinda "regen" effect...

above image has not been photoshopped
                        yes I have no life, yes those are my jobs
                        reason blu/cor/pup aren't lvled is... well... I have a girlfriend now

Comment

I'm sure some of our Taru BST friends would have traded their MP for your HP on several occasions. =p
                          Even at 20, I've noticed this a few times. Mostly on crabs. And in this case, I would've traded my MP for... uh... a crab-seeking missile or something.

After I get some of the higher cures, and stoneskin, I'll be 100% satisfied with having extra MP, but more VIT + STR + HP would go a looooong way in these early levels.

-sam
                          "And NO sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find... I shall kill you." -Stewie Griffin

My job levels and goals.

Comment

Subbing nin is definitely a viable choice at 24. I only have whm at 11, so once I hit 24 I switched to /nin. When things are going smooth I can go an hour without taking any dmg. I'm still using /nin at 48 and loving it. You just have to be a little more careful about what kind of mobs you fight. Mobs that dmg through shadows are the only problem really. Bring some medicines for poison, etc. It's really nice.
                            Good luck.
                            BST 59 | THF 40 | NIN 30 | SAM 22 | BLU 21 | WAR 15

Comment

An interesting thought is that I plan to play this during the week, for 2-3 hours a night. Probably as many as 12 hours a week, closer to 10 hours a week on average. If 3k xp/hr is a reasonable expectation then...

Level 75 needs 968,350xp
                              Level 09 has 10,950...

I need 957400xp... at 3k/hr that means 319 hours. Thats 106 days @ 3hrs per day. Since I estimated 10 hours/week it would really be 32 (31.9, but eh) weeks. 32 weeks is equivalent to eight months, which is equivalent to around 240 days.

I think I could get there inside of 240 days. The truth is though, I plan on doing G3, G4, and G5 as my monk... no ifs, ands, or buts. So even if I get my BST to level 70 before my Monk, I won't fight Maat... but thats neither here nor there.

The only thing I wonder is if I have the dedication...

Double Post Edited:
                              Also, that 240 days thing makes me feel dumb, I've had FFXI for around 880 days... *erk*. Only about 60 days of playtime though.

Oh, and for Antidotes or somthing... those are level 3 alchemy, I can turn those out no problem... probably harvest a lot of ingerdients for them while I'm out in the field. I also have another question... does being BST solve some money problems with all the crystals and drops you guys get out while soling? Do you stop to harvest or log? Just wondering, because I used to be perpetually poor, and was seeing this as a constant flow of small income over time. Now I've got my nest-egg, but I don't know how long that'll last.

One last thing: since Beastmen drop Seals more often... do you have any leveling areas that specifically target beastmen?

Double Post Edited:
                              Argh, and another post... my Nin is @ 18, so thats no problem once I hit 24... for a while anyway. It'll be just as easy to level NIN if I start having problems with WHM. I've got Utsusemi anyway. For those who use NIN... do you Debuff/Enfeeb the mob too?

Or, as was suggested, I could level WHM/BST. That sounds easier than BST/WHM would be... but only after leveling BST first.
                              Last edited by AngryUndead; 05-23-2006, 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Cooking 69 / Fishing 48
                              O)

Comment

Working...
                              X