This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be a good BST?

I've been thinking about starting Beastmaster.. I'd like to play with a Tiger pet by my side. ^^ And the part i'm most looking forward too is The Boyadha Tree, looks like BST having great fun there. I'm usually more into Melee jobs, and I play a "Hunter" in WoW, a sort of Ranger with a Tiger as pet lol. Just wonder what it takes to get somewhere with BST.
    http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Re: Will I be a good BST?

Time, lots and lots of time, and patience, and Deaths, TONS of deaths.

there is a hidden bst trait called "Dieafterleveling" where as soon as you make it to the next lvl that you've been xping at all night, the very next fight, you'll die and delvl.

So... long as you don't mind dieing alot, and mischarms, and ppl calling you a GilSeller when you're higher lvl, or people telling YOU to move camp, when you've been there for 3+ hours, since they just shown up, with 6 ppl that's 5 more than you so you NEED to leave, it's a great job...

but of course I'm only focusing on teh negetive for some reason... I really am an ass sometimes <.<

above image has not been photoshopped
    yes I have no life, yes those are my jobs
    reason blu/cor/pup aren't lvled is... well... I have a girlfriend now

Comment

BST is a great job and the one in my personal opinion that takes the most amount of patience and perseverance to get though the day with. I have had to motivate myself ot continue on so many occasions now just to continue on and I am only lvl 60. But amongst those 60 levels I quit like 8 times already.

With that said, it's the funnest job I have played to date. Once you realise you can weasle your way out of situations no one else can, you realise the true potential of this job. Also, what other job can you have nothing on but, what would appear in everyother persons mind as shyt gear, and still function with high effeciency? It's a job where you get back your equivalent worth of satisfaction based on the amount in effort you put into the job, not the gil you pump into it.
      NIN 75 RDM 65 RNG 59 BST 60
      Main: Woodworking 99.4+3
      Mule A: Alchemy 100+3

Comment

lol while that is all true....

There is also the fun stuff hehe. Farming in Boy.. Tree.. and solo'n someones Limit items for them, solo'n AF's for folks and just the wows you get from everyone who get to witness the power of BST for the first time.

You have to be determined but the payoff for the hard work is well worth it
        {Mikb}Human - 75-BST 37-WHM 42-RDM 37-NIN 17-BLM 17-WAR 15-THF 12-BRD 7-SMN

{Mikeb}Taru(mule for now) - 58-WHM 42-BRD31-BLM 5-BST 3-SMN 1-RNG 1-NIN

So many jobs... so little time ;( Bastok - Siren / Cooking lvl 62
        Full BST AF complete
        Limit 1 [X] Limit2 [X] Limit3 [X] Limit4 [X] Maat(Yay)

It's Nice to solo something as a 35 BST that gives my 58WHM a hard time to kill.

LS- Strikeforce /Kagedragons /BeastHut

Comment

Eseuldor is so right, I've had lvl 20 sheild n back armor, lvl 14 rings, lvl 16 earrings, for the last few lvls, just check the sig lol (updated from lastnight)

above image has not been photoshopped
          yes I have no life, yes those are my jobs
          reason blu/cor/pup aren't lvled is... well... I have a girlfriend now

Comment

It's always fun to duo NM's that are 10 levels above you (and that's by Somepage's data) and that your 75 BLM couldn't even dream of soloing. BST is a rewarding job, but you definetly gotta have the patience for it. Some levels, you will be praising jesus for the 1.5-2k/hr you get, and some you will get 6k/hr and not break a sweat. But at least training your NPC is easy.
            BLM 75 / BST 75 / RDM 37 / WHM 37 / NIN 37 / SMN 35 / SAM 34
            Clothcraft: 82.3 +2
            Fishing: 36.0
            Rank 10 / Zilart 14 / CoP 5.1
            Let's support Gil Sellers!
            Useful Links Graveyard
            Third Law of Beastmastery: He who hath attained a higher level shall soon again visit his past level.

Comment

You'll probably really enjoy BST, I've taken it all the way and I can't imagine enjoying any job more. It's very very worth it.

It does, as people say, require much patience and perseverance. I remember deleveling three to four times in a row before finally getting enough of a buffer to move on to the next area. But the sense of accomplishment is huge.

Do be prepared for random Bst hate. And I don't mean from mobs. There are days when parties will move into your camp and tell you they're more important. There are days people will swear at you for any number of reasons they contrive. There are even days when, despite how close-knit the Bst community is, a bad apple of a Bst will move in on your camp. Don't let it get you down. It's all part of the training.

It's great exploring new areas as a Bst. You have a lot of resources at your command for getting out of sticky situations. And friends you meet along the way will love you for what you can do ("Augh! Who AOE'd and aggro'd the Colibri!?" *CHARM* "What Colibri?" "Yay Beastmaster!")

Also, try to work with other Bst in your level range. Duo's and Trio's of Bst can net huge xp, and be the start of a bond of friendship that will carry you through to endgame. And few things feel better than going with 4 or 5 Bst and taking out a mob that usually requires an alliance (Hakutaku anyone?)

Just one word of advice... never never xp Bst while /anon. I understand the temptation to do so sometimes, but many Bst will pick their camp by searching a zone and seeing how many other Bst of their level range are in it (and in some cases, regular party leaders of the appropriate level). If there's allready as many or more people there than the zone can handle, then there's no point in going there. It seriously ticks people off to get to spend twenty minutes getting to an xp area you thought was free only to find one or two /anon Bst there. It's seriously rude.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Enjoy Bst!

Comment

You'll enjoy it. Most people who start the job love its freedom and adaptibility to every situation. The trek to 35 is probably the worst and hardest road that you'll take in your bst career but once you get past that you'll realize how much you'll never regret going through it.

The job probably take the most coordination of any job to lvl and the longest time to master. RL friends of mine that used to play used to make fun of me when i started lvling bst as my main. They never got past lvl 15 and they all thought i had something wrong with me. haha.

You'll enjoy the community and commradary as well that comes with the bst job.

If you choose the path, good luck to you. Its very rewarding.

Comment

You're only as good as you want to be.

Comment

I'm now at 66 BST and I'd never trade my time back. Being able to solo stuff to help your friends get their coffer keys, never having to wait for party, and just the freedom to be able to explore the world...if these things interest you, and you think you can stick with it, you'll be a great Beastmaster.

"Five severed fingers do not make a hand."

Comment

Yes I'm sure almost everyone can enjoy Bst since I found this job quite different from other jobs. You can have it at your pace and play it your own way - unlike other jobs which will get stuck into their paradox.

I don't know much about "fun" but as far as I can see Bst has a lot ups and downs. Sometimes you get really good exp, lots of items...etc kinda makes you feel really happy. Sometimes you might end up getting careless or just unlucky then you will get mobbed by all sorts of monsters and die a lot. If you're a very 'happy' sort of person then I'm sure Bst will be the most enjoyable job you can get.

About being good at Bst... Well what I can say is that no one could be born to be a successful Bst. He/She might be very talented but it takes more than just talent to be a good bst. He/She will have to take several tries and attempts to master the Bst's abilities, through so many deaths and near-deaths he/she will be come more 'experienced' with the wild of Vana'Diel (I just noticed that vana'diel is a dangerous place). And perhaps a little luck for success.

Side note: Bst can be a very boring and lonely job if you don't have a very 'talkative' LS. You might want to level another job along side with Bst so you won't feel so lonely while leveling Bst and everyone gets their PT but you. For some reason people don't want bst in PT (-_-

Comment

it takes more than just wanting to have a cute little tiger by your side, thats for sure. if that's all you want out of this job, i suggest you save yourself and probably other peoples time and find something else to wish for.

if you really want to play this job, be expected to be frustrated, angry, and quit every few weeks.
                        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

That's a nice sig, Eseuldor. What is the name of that drawing board furniture?
                          Tomatoes & Tomatopotato @ Pandemonium
                          My Taru Blog / Wiki Page

Play golf? Check out my items.

Comment

Anyone with an extremely Dedicated, Calculating, and somewhat Stubborn
                            attitude will do great as a beast. Stubborn in a good way guys...!

I like your quote where you mention "I can't wait to get to the Boyahda Tree."
                            Most BSTs who get there can't wait to get out and go to sky or bibiki or anywhere
                            else. It's partly due to the excessive farming etc. but mostly it's due to the
                            fact that the tree can pretty much support you from early 60's to the end of the game.
                            The same scenery for 15 long long levels is monotonous.

Other than that, you are starting with great enthusiasm and have some goals already!
                            Tiger pet goal, Tree goal. Good! GL and enjoy the job! If by chance you are
                            on quetz, I'll get you a pearl to an all bst shell for information and fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoes
                              That's a nice sig, Eseuldor. What is the name of that drawing board furniture?
                              Thank you ^^

Carpenter's Desk or Drawing Desk is the name. I haven't been online in a while and all things FFXI are starting to get a bit fuzzy for me.

It +1 skill enhancment item from the woodworking guild. Only active when I have the Moghancement: Woodworking active.
                              Last edited by Eseuldor; 05-09-2006, 09:16 PM.
                              NIN 75 RDM 65 RNG 59 BST 60
                              Main: Woodworking 99.4+3
                              Mule A: Alchemy 100+3

Comment

Working...
                              X