This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build for a soloing BST?

I currently have a level 7 Hume WAR that I plan to make into a BST. I hear the best SJ for soloing is /WHM, is this true? If so, will I have to remake my character as a WHM instead of WAR? Can/Should I keep it as WAR and just sub WHM when I become a BST? About weapons and gear, what will I be using? I currently use a 1H sword and a shield. Also, is Hume a bad choice? I want to play a Hume but I don't know how badly it will effect me. One last question, how much can I solo? Can I solo to 75 with a good and steady rate of EXP like someone in a PT gets?

Re: Build for a soloing BST?

yes /whm is the most ideal for reducing downtime and a host of other useful features. /rdm is possible as well. a really good read is antwan_3000's writeup on his experiences: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45849

you don't have to remake, just go to your moghouse, talk to the moogle and switch jobs. level your WHM to 18, get sub job, switch to BLM/whm, level that to 17, switch to WHM/blm, level to 30 and get BST.

and don't expect phenomenal XP. average rate is about 2k/hour, however you'll never have to wait for party so that's really nice.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
      yes /whm is the most ideal for reducing downtime and a host of other useful features. /rdm is possible as well. a really good read is antwan_3000's writeup on his experiences: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45849

you don't have to remake, just go to your moghouse, talk to the moogle and switch jobs. level your WHM to 18, get sub job, switch to BLM/whm, level that to 17, switch to WHM/blm, level to 30 and get BST.

and don't expect phenomenal XP. average rate is about 2k/hour, however you'll never have to wait for party so that's really nice.
      Read that thread but now I'm curious about a BST/NIN build. Will that build be just as good for soloing as a /WHM build is? I've heard that NINs are expensive, which is a downside for me. Also, what class and SJ should I level up now if I plan to be a BST/NIN?

Oh yeah, I still don't know what weapons/equipment any of these builds would need.

Comment

like i said before, /whm is most ideal. /rdm is less > /nin is even less > /war less than that.

as for EQ, stick with your A-rated weapon, axes. get armors and shields with the highest DEF and accessories with +CHR or +charm.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

listen to the nt.
          /whm will over-all be the most useful/ideal.

lower lvls might benefit more from /nin since the lack of aoe and double attack in many mobs. however, /whm will be your primary solo subjob for bst.
          Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
          ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Hi SG

There are many things that works as a Beastmaster, ive been playing Beastmaster since December 2003 and its the only job I really play main.

Short version of it all

If you solo you go /whm, there is really no discussion as all other jobs will gimp you.

If youre in a party, at low level I would go /war or /thf at higher level /nin is your best option.

Since most people that play this game now is pretty experienced you will allways get better EXP in a party. Getting into a party is another thing, since not all people realize that Beastmaster is one of the biggest Damage Dealers in this game.

As for race, dont think about it every race is good for all the jobs. Its how well you play the jobs that matter. I am a tarutaru BST im doing fine.

As for fear of expenses for example your /nin sub, if you fear dishing out big bucks on your character BST is not for you. BST is an extremely expensive job to take all the way. Ive used tens of millions on my BST over the years, WHM spells, NIN spells, and the shitload of gear you need.

As a BST you need 2 kinds of setups, Charm Gear and Fight Gear. Most other jobs only have to focus on gear for their job, like str, agi etc. while BST have to focus on CHR, STR, DEX, MP, HP + Pet. Since the latest version updates Jug pet doesnt reduce your own exp and therefore welcomes BST joining PT`s (PT`s just need to realize this!!!!) But nowdays Pet Jugs are expensive as well as their food.

Best bet is to start skilling your cooking so you can make all the stuff yourself. Beastmasters are superb farmers. Get THF to 37 so when u hit 75 you can go with THF sub and farm the hell out of anywhere.

BEST EXP for BST is in a BST party. Its the quickest coolest way to get exp. Ive been in Duo, Trio, Quadruple, 5 and 6 BST parties. And they all rock. If you can get a buddy to do BST to and static duo with him and pick other BST up along the way as you two level. You will hit 75 in no time depending on how much you play a day.

GOOD LUCK WITH UR BST!

Sincerily
            ME!

Comment

I have to disagree with BST being extremely expensive. I think it's the cheapest job out there. If you are going to solo, it doesn't really matter what you wear gearwise so you pretty much half ass on everything. If you want to improve your preformance to the best, then you CAN blow lots of gil on equipment/spells/etc. Leveling BST to 60 has been cheaper than leveling anyother job so far for me. Because I don't have to answer party's needs for the best equipment out there. You can solo up to lvl75 without touching a party (well you might need help with limit quests after lvl50).

Basically what I've seen, there's two types of BST. Some like going with /whm sub and others more agressively with /nin. Both work fine but /nin lacks some abilities compaired to /whm. WHM is the best all-around sub job. NIN works extremely well if you put your mind into it but some camps are not suitable for NIN sub.

Best leveling strategy in my opinion is taking BLM to 18 first, then leveling WHM to 30, unlocking BST (and other adv.jobs like NIN if you feel like it) and then continuing WHM to 37. Doing this you have a good sub job up to lvl75 as Beastmaster. If you want to try out NIN sub, level WAR to 18 and then NIN to 37.

For farming it's usually best to level THF sub for Treasure Hunter. However, there are other ways to get money as well. Remember all those Beastmen Seals you've been getting while leveling? Save them. You can enter speacial battlefields which have good drops by trading those seals for Orbs at Jeuno.
              Kitfox / BST69/THF47/WHM42/NIN32
              Server: Siren / Linkshell: Aequitas

Comment

I think everyone should have both WHM and NIN subjobs for BST. Sometimes one just makes more sense than the other, depending on where you're going to level up at. I should go work on my RDM and see how BST/RDM is, but I'm focused on leveling other jobs for now.

If you want to prepare for BST/NIN, you can level up WAR to 18, then NIN/WAR to 37 (similar to leveling BLM to 18 then WHM/BLM to 37 in the post above) and then you're done with leveling NIN for use as a BST/NIN.

About the cost of playing BST, I was happy playing BLM to 37 with lousy gear and missing spells until I decided to switch to BST. When I started playing solo as a BST/WHM I wanted to have every advantage I could so that I wouldn't die so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Victim12
                  If you want to prepare for BST/NIN, you can level up WAR to 18, then NIN/WAR to 37 (similar to leveling BLM to 18 then WHM/BLM to 37 in the post above) and then you're done with leveling NIN for use as a BST/NIN.

When you don't feel like partying with your NIN. You can solo NIN/BST to 37. I did it and it was fun.

BST is cheap, btw. To put it in perspective... you will never have to stop leveling to farm gil. Those that do only do it because they choose to. A solo BST will never get judged by his equipment. You will only get judged by your competence. And... god forbid you have millions of gil in equipment and you still suck. Heheh.

I mean 'you' in general, not anyone specific.

Comment

Whilst I do recommend WHM SJ for those ppl who are new to BST - if you happen to have RDM leveled that will do fine as a sub. (73 lvls of BST and I'm still happy with my choice). I've never been able to face going back and leveling WHM - its still languishing at level 4 >.>

Yes I know you can't Raise people with an RDM sub (and you will struggle to have the MP to do so before about level 60 anyway) at which point you will be living with a Reraise Gorget permanently running for R2. You don't get Poisona or Erase - but you do get something far better - Dispel ! As you may well be xp'ing on Steelshells (crabs) for about 200k of experience later on it becomes a bit of a life saver. Come on guys - you know exactly what I mean - Scissor guard just as you release your pet for Rampage

I have taken the time recently to level my NIN to 37 in the vain hope that I might actually get an invite to a party - but mainly to see what it is like at level 74 for xp'ing against Elder Goobue - I'm hoping it will make solo'ing them easier than with a mage sub (they hit very very hard).

Anyways - I'm also a recent migrant from Alla - lets make this forum better and hopefully without trolls ! Has anyone started a BST Linkshell list anywhere ?...

Comment

I can speak from experience that /WHM and /RDM work great.

I can speak from vicarious experience that /NIN works well too. (A lot of people have taken it to 75 as BST/NIN and prefer it over /WHM)

And after leveling BLU to 15, I'm guessing that /BLU will work just fine too.

The beauty of solo BST is that it's solo. YOU decide. Some guy on a forum can tell you that BST solo should be WHM only, but that's just their opinion. You are in control. When you play solo, you are the only one who's affected by your subjob. Listen to our suggestions and then make your own decision. Have fun with it.
                      75BST 75BLU 40BLM 40DRK 38WHM 37RDM 37NIN 37THF 20WAR
                      99.1 Cooking / 20 Alchemy / 15 Woodworking
                      Asura Hume LS=Illuminaire
                      FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Page
                      FFXI Wiki - Beastmaster Cooking Guide

Comment

Originally posted by Fangorn
                        Dispel ! As you may well be xp'ing on Steelshells (crabs) for about 200k of experience later on it becomes a bit of a life saver. Come on guys - you know exactly what I mean - Scissor guard just as you release your pet for Rampage
                        I know kinda what you are talking about. I've been levelin on Trolls in the new expansion areas and I've died a couple times from releasing my pet with the mob almost dead, then it does "Diamondhide" aka uber Stoneskin, and I can pretty much guarentee my death unless I recharm and pet somehow get's hate back. I may just level up my RDM some more (at 20) just so I can dispel those bastards.
                        72+2 Bonecrafting (Bone Purification, Filing, Protective Spectacles, Boneworker's Apron)
                        60+1 Leathercraft (Leather Ensorcellment, Tanning, Tanner's Gloves)
                        53 Clothcraft
                        60 Woodworking (Lumberjack, Wood Ensorcellment)
                        60 Cooking (92+1 Mule)
                        58 Alchemy
                        40 Fishing (Frog Fishing, 3,704/10,000 MC for Lu Shang)
                        15 Smithing
                        5 Goldsmithing

Comment

Just wanted to touch on a couple things here. Number 1 is that there is no BEST sub that fits all the time /whm is by far the MOST used but that does not mean the best for all situations. I dou with a friend that thankfully is not afraid to try new things, and I must say that there are places to level where /nin is preferable alot. A good example would be killing Imps at J-8 in caedrive mire(spelling is wrong I will fix it later) goes alot faster if one of us subs ninja for dual wield and shadows. The point I am trying to make is never be afraid to try something different, everyone has a little different play style so try different subs and see which you prefer.

The other thing I wanted to touch on is the cost of leveling BST it is by far the cheapest job to level in the game, atleast in my opinion. Even if you bought really nice equipment(maybe not the uber equipment like P. Charm) to level with you will still come out ahead. You do not have to share any drops if you solo, even if you dou it is not that bad, and the sheer number of beastman seals you get is awsome. I would recomend getting really good at one or two BCNMs and do them when you can.

Anyway just my 2 cents worth hope it helps.

Comment

hey bst is the freedom job. ^_^

I've heard of people doing bst/nin almost all the way to 75. I've also heard about bst/pld and bst/rdm. All are viable subs and i can vouche for it. What ever your comfort lvl first. From my expirience though and for versitility i'd go with /whm. Until lvl 70ish /whm can still pack a punch with WAY less downtime than /nin would be.

stuff happens and things die including yourslef. You might find yourslef wishing you were a /whm at times. @70+ though /nin is almost god in some situations. *Cof* gaudy rune combo *Coff*. hehe

EDIT: Oops forgot to mention that gear with bst is really really cheap

Comment

It doesnt really matter what you sub for your BST but I say /WHM is very useful. Having some Cure spells when you need some curing makes your downtime to minimum. Plus the -na spells are very helpful. Once you learn the basics you'll be raking up the exp. Just be patient. ^^

Starting as WAR benefits you when you change job into BST. Level/Skill up your Axe, equip a Shield [another axe if you go /NIN @BST20(?)] and go kill stuff. At low levels (lvl 1-10ish) "Charm" 1 monster and send it to fight 1 monster while you go kill another. Small amount of EXP but its fast kills, it'll accumulate.

You ask if you can solo to 75? Definitely!
                              There may be a few levels where you party normy/duo/trio but most of the time you'll be playing solo. It's very essential to solo (party few times) all the way until you get the Job Ability "Leave". It's goin to be 35, and more, levels of learning, frustration, anger, laughter, fun and excitement.

Have Fun and Enjoy!
                              Gravityluke -The Elvaan Beast of Stolen Linkshell-

Comment

Working...
                              X