im really lost here, I love smn so much i just dont what i shoulld do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: im really lost here, I love smn so much i just dont what i shoulld do

IMHO, why not multi-tasking: heal and blood-pact (DD, buff, debuff, SC, MB, or even pulling) at the same party?

SMN's avatar is great for pull in camps where group of aggro-able mobs like to stack togather.

Unless the tank has so serious damage migration problem or the mob is too nasty, the SMNs in my past parties could perform a lot of wonderful things besides tossing Cure to tank. For example, SMN's Haste-aga is a godsend for NIN tank against Spider's AoE Slow-aga, it is cleaner than constant casting of Erase + Haste IMHO.

However, I rarely seen SMN melee with a staff, or the situation is okay for SMN to melee with staff.
    Server: Quetzalcoatl
    Race: Hume Rank 7
    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

what is funny was i was doing at times more dmg then other DDs.... i know people will flame me but i was do 25-38 crit per hit and i was also doing 250+ Blood pacts and support. We had ice spikes, and blink on

im really thinking of trying bluemage as a sub. i can backup heal if needed and i have more DD skills. I can also raise my mp with spells cast cocoon, ect.

Comment

i was soloing alot so my staff skill is at 98 almost capped and my smn skill is capped every lv my smn and blood pacting.

Comment

Good job Thoris! Keeping smn skill capped every level is a great thing.

Comment

With respect to the SMN/BLU Self-gravitation Skill chain, once you hit 68th level, you can do a Self-chain with a burst by using Death Ray and Burst Affinity.

Macro #1
            /ja "Burst Affinity" <me>

Macro #2
            /pet "Double Punch" <t>
            /wait 1
            /ws "Shell Crusher" <t>
            /wait 2?
            /ma "Death Ray" <t>

(Not sure on the wait timing here, Blue Bursts are finicky and this will have to be tweaked when you get there)

With the significant Lower Resist of the SC, even with Gimped BLU skill you may be able to pull off an unresisted Death Ray attack on the Gravitation burst to do admirable damage, but at 68th level, you'll probably be starting to really need extra accuracy to even hit the mob to get your TP, so you might just be bursting on Grav that was opened by someone other than yourself. Since you're looking to go this route, you'll want to look for the most melee oriented gear you can find that doesn't interfere with your summoning. Here's some things I see that go that direction:

Magna Jerkin (33)
            Black/Flora Cothardie (59)
            Hydra Doublet (70)

Republican Army Mantle (55)

Harvest Earring (49)
            Accurate Earring (52)
            Melnina's Earring (55)* Long shot Rare/Ex BCNM gear
            Immortal's Earring (60)
            Minuet Earring (61) Will make BRD even more your friend.
            Diabolos' Earring (65)
            Adroit Earring (67)

Hydra Gaiters (70)

Archer's Ring
            Shikaree Ring
            Jaeger Ring
            Sniper's Ring
            Woodsman Ring
            Kshama Ring #2 (not likely)

Battle Gloves
            Wood Gauntlets * Probably Best Choice up to hydra
            Battle Bracers +1
            Hydra Gloves

Mercenary Captain's Headgear
            Federation Headgear (has +MP too)
            Voyager Sallet
            Corsair's Hat
            Juggler's Headband
            Storm Zucchetto (don't ask me where it comes from)
            Super Ribbon
            Green Beret
            Hydra Beret (In fact, why dontcha just get the whole Hydra set at 70. Dynamis-Tavnazia Style ftw ^^)
            And of course: O-hat

Magna Chausses
            Hydra Brais (again)
            Volunteer's Brais

Peacock Charm/Amulet
            Storm Gorget
            Ashura Necklace
            Chiv. Chain

Federation Pole
            Elm Pole (+1)
            Military Pole
            Musketeer's Pole
            Then of course your best friend will still be Ifrit for Self-SC, and Vulcan's Staff is very nice.
            Then Mahogany, Ebony, and Mythic poles.
            Last edited by Sabaron; 12-20-2006, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Isn't Chain Affinity (Level 40)? Which is not valid for /BLU to MB with Blue magic spells?

Comment

Burst affinity is level 25--you're confusing it with chain affinity. Death Ray is Magical Blue Magic. The intention is to Burst Death Ray (a Dark element Nuke) off of Gravitation.

Chain affinity allows Physical Blue magic to participate as a Weapon Skill in a skill chain. Burst affinity allows Magical Blue magic to participate in Magic burst as a normal spell.

Comment

oh, ic. I guess I am confused

Comment

I really don't know how effective it will be considering:

1) Blue Magic generally posts low numbers.
                    2) Blue Magic Skill on sub is extremely gimped at 68/34

Even with the lowered resist from the burst, the damage posted may be well under 100 but hey... 50 extra damage is still 50 extra damage. Of course, if it drops into the 20 or lower range on most attacks it might not be worth it. I'm sure the damage will be acceptable when not facing XP class mobs. I doubt the build will be superior in XP (perhaps middling), since SMN Staff is only class B, it will definitely be very nice for other game activities.

Comment

Originally posted by eva00r View Post
                      I'm sorry but if you don't main heal then what ????
                      Do 1 or 2 Bloodpact every 1 min and sit ? or even melee with your avatar ?
                      That's ridiculous.

With the update, SMN burns a lot of MP. That time between blood pacts can be used to rest.

Of course, I'm level 70 and those level 70 BPs take a bit more MP.

During the only party I was in at 70, I know if I could take advantage of that resting time instead of constantly tossing out GIMP Cure IIIs (Cure IIIs at level 70 are a pathetic, not to mention they're of level 35 quality). That resting time would mean more buffs and damage output.
                      Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                      Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                      Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                      Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                      Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Working...
                      X