X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Subjobs

So I just started playing reciently,
    I have a: 18 MNK, 14 WHM and 10 BLM
    Originally I wanted to be a WHM, then realized I needed to work on BLm, then realized that spells are so freakin expensive that it'd be better to just go with a melee class to start hence the MNK.

Now I know that having multiple classes for subs is optimal. I am going to work on WAR next and get it to 30 so I can unlock advanced jobs. My mom also just started she's a 16 WAR atm and plans to be THF/NIN.

So here's my problem.
    I was trying to help her find a group to get the subjob quest items but because of my limited class selection I was MNK/WHM and she was WAR/_ People wouldn't invite us to parties because of our subjob situation.

Will I always have trouble finding groups until I get multiple subjobs leveld up so I can switch for the situation? Should I focus on one Main and one Sub to get a character to 75 then work on others? Should I work on multiple subs so that I can switch out while leveling depending on what people need?

Re: Multiple Subjobs

It's not that you don't have multiple subs available, it's that you don't have a good sub available. No one worth your time is going to expect you to have flexible subjob selections yet. But they will expect your subjob to make sense for party play. You'd be fine taking WHM/BLM or BLM/WHM to 30, or MNK/WAR, or WAR/MNK, and not having any other subs available for those.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

Well I understand that which is why I'm doing war next. But my thing is that they were willing to accept my mom a WAR/_ but not me. I normally wouldn't have looked for a group with MNK/WHM but it was that or MNK/BLM atm and she needed help finding a group to get the subjob items.

Comment

I can see how it would seem a little backwards to be willing to accept no subjob, but not an odd subjob. But that all stops at (or near) 18 regardless. The basic point of view is that someone who hasn't done the subjob quest has an excuse (obviously), while anyone who has should know better.

They're willing to take the subless WAR and help get the items because the WAR will contribute enough to make a trade-off; we help you with the quest, you help us get XP. There's almost no way to evaluate whether a subless player is a good player except to party with them. An unhelpful (for partying) or underleveled sub is usually a pretty good indicator that a player is either lazy or inexperienced. No one wants a lazy player, and not everyone wants the inexperienced.

That's not to say I think you're either. It's just that that's what a lot of people are going to think seeing that job combination, and they're going to react on that.
        Ellipses on Fenrir
        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
        . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Divinespear View Post
          Well I understand that which is why I'm doing war next. But my thing is that they were willing to accept my mom a WAR/_ but not me.
          WAR/ says you're a new player/character, most people are fine with that.
          MNK/WHM looks like you don't know what you're doing and/or have no wish to learn.

The first person can be a decent player, the latter is a death knell.
          I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I guess I can see that,

It's just frustraiting trying to help my mom out when noone will party with me because I havn't had a chance to level up another sub yet. I explained to them that I was MNK to 18 then switched to mage jobs but was just running on my MNK to help my mom get her subjob but still refused.

I kinda wish I could go no sub so that at least people would invite us to get the items for her subjob quest.

Comment

The funny thing is that until level 20, there's no subs that actually do anything useful beyond subbing WAR for Provoke, so /WHM is actually marginally useful.

Comment

IMHO, if you and your mom don't mind to duo (party with only 2 members), you may duo until both of your job-levels can handle the subjob quest safely.

When duo, make sure Signet is up ---- Signet for small parties makes a difference.

The downside of solo or duo (even more so with level-sync) is slower rate for skill-up.

Added:

As Armando mentioned from the above post, having subjob before level 20 just give you an edge, but the impact isn't huge at those levels. In general players /war for Provoke (tanking) or /whm for Cure before level 20.
                Last edited by Celeal; 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM.
                Server: Quetzalcoatl
                Race: Hume Rank 7
                75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

I actually went DNC/COR to a Dunes PT, since there didn't seem to be anything worthwhile from most subs ... and if they had asked, I could have simply gone into Selbina and switched. Also, you do see MNK/WHM at higher levels, but they're generally for things like HNMs, and used for a Chi Blast.

For the moment, I'd suggest soloing WAR to at least 10 so it's a valid sub for MNK, or take WAR high enough to use it to help out...

Comment

By partying in dunes your mom should be able to get 2 out of the 3 items with relative no problem. Dunes PTs kill crabs and damselflies for XP so those items drop pretty readily. The magicked skull is the 1 item you might have some trouble finding without help.

If you get lucky, you can get a PT to kill a wandering ghoul during XP or you can nicely try asking random higher lvl players to help out. Sometimes ppl will stop and help you 2-3 shot a ghoul for you.
                    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Just to warn you as well, if you thought that playing a mage job was expensive, you'll be stunned when you find out how expensive decent melee gear is.

Mages jobs are the cheapest to play by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Feenicks View Post
                        Just to warn you as well, if you thought that playing a mage job was expensive, you'll be stunned when you find out how expensive decent melee gear is.

And how - tho RDM may be a bit more expensive than the rest of the Mage jobs, SAM gear is un-freakin-believable!
                        sigpic

(\ /)
                        ( . . )
                        C(")(")
                        ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Originally posted by Feenicks View Post

You can sell back gear, you can't sell back spells.

Oh ya, and mage gear isn't exactly cheap either.

I suppose for example if you leveled Red Mage already, Scholar would be fairly cheap...

Anyway, the only job I know that has a right to bitch about price is COR, NIN, RNG, and maybe PUP (attachmens are kind of rediculous...)
                          Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                          Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                          Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                          Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                          Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

I didn't even want to bring up COR - it's so unbelievably expensive (when done right) it's not even nice to talk about how excellent a good COR really is to someone who has a real desire to play a great active fun job, but only 18gil and one lvl 18 job.

felt cruel to me.

a little bit
                            sigpic

(\ /)
                            ( . . )
                            C(")(")
                            ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Yeah, it's specifically that you were subbing WHM, which doesn't work at post-dunes levels, that caused the issue. People tend to see things in terms of higher-level xp. Combinations that don't work at higher levels are usually eschewed for those that do. This means that a variety of options that make perfect sense in the 10-20 levels will get you laughed at and passed over. Sadly, it also means that many parties will try to organize themselves like meleeburn meripos, even though this really doesn't work until near level 75.

I've actually successfully used MNK/WHM successfully on an alt. We were trying to have a Tahrongi Canyon party with about 4-5 members, then all the other melees left, and the mages suggested going to fight worms in Maze of Shakrami. I was pretty superfluous until I went /WHM for Banish, at which point I was... well, not superfluous. We were low-manning mobs much higher than our level, so it did increase kill speed and we were still getting 200 xp per mob (maximum xp per kill at low levels), but it only really made sense because we were trying to make a party work with the people and jobs we had.

Basically, MNK/WAR is the cookie-cutter arrangement people are expecting, and the safest subjob to bring, though it won't actually help at those levels unless you're tanking. The only other useful non-mage subjobs are extra jobs you need to have a level 30 job to unlock, and there's a stigma against subbing mage jobs to most melee jobs.
                              Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
                              DRK99,DNC91,THF90
                              Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
                              Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
                              WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
                              Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
                              All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
                              Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
                              Clothcraft 24
                              Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
                              BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Working...
                              X