A good time to return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good time to return?

Hey, all, after playing XIV for the past week and remembering the good old days of XI, I'm thinking about coming back while I continue play XIV. However, my question is, with the release of XIV and the influx of new players finding solace there, would it be a wise time to basically start from scratch with XI? When I played XI before, I didn't get higher than level 38, so I had/have much to learn. Would coming into the game, at this point, with as little knowledge as I have, be a good or bad thing? It seems that's all that's left on XI are the hardcore players, in which, well, I'm most obviously not.
    Last edited by Lenous; 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM.
    Peace is just a shadow of death, desperate to forget it's painful past.

Re: A good time to return?

I'd stick with one or the other. While FFXIV is more solo friendly, its still a time sink if you take advantage of all the game has to offer. Couple that with the time sink that FFXI is and thats a recipe for disaster.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Hello =) In an effort to prevent forum cluttering, I shall post my question here, as it seems the most appropriate thread after a brief search.

I am considering resubscribing to my old account. I already have all my information ready and can sign right back up.
      I really loved this game, but I'm afraid with 14 coming out, that the community will die. One thing I really loved about FFXI was the social aspect and dependence on others.

My question is: With the new Final Fantasy online coming out, does it seem there will be enough players on FFXI to make it still enjoyable/populated, like the olden days? I'm hoping to find people like me, who enjoyed this older version more than the new one.

A second question, not as big a deal: If I used to play on a PS2, could I get the game and still play on my PC? (That sounds like a stupid question to me, and I'm assuming the answer is yes).

Thank you for your help =)
      Mountainfist
      Last edited by MountainFist; 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM. Reason: Found the answer to question 3.

Comment

Like the olden days, no. It hasn't been like the olden days for a very long time. Is it still populated and good to play? Absolutely but you'll learn to solo/duo/trio more in the lower levels.

FFXIV is out and there hasn't been that big of a difference in the population of FFXI. It's still a viable alternative that people are enjoying. As for playing on the PC, yes you can still use your login information from the PS2 version on the PC version.
        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Thank you =) I think I shall reactivate my account. At the vary least, I can see for myself. As a once proud Samurai, I just can't see myself playing as something so brutish sounding as "The Ravager."

Thanks for the help ^_^ Say, a third question if I may. In the old days, when I played as a warrior I got trouble from other players for using swords instead of axes. Since the game may have changed so much since I left, does it look like I still might be bothered to switch weapons?

Comment

Yes, either go to dual Axes, or Great Axe. People don't want to see a warrior dual weilding swords. Even if one does happen to be a Joyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post
              Yes, either go to dual Axes, or Great Axe. People don't want to see a warrior dual weilding swords. Even if one does happen to be a Joyes...
              Is there a good reason why? One reason I enjoyed the game, and the class, was the vast weapon array. So many choices, it was fun because I could use any weapon I liked.

I have no problem using axes, it just seems so sad to me when I'm forced to do it. Also (so sorry for this) but what is a "Joyes"?

Thanks for the quick replies.
              Last edited by MountainFist; 10-15-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainFist View Post
                Is there a good reason why?
                Because Axes or great Axes are your best weapons.
                I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Also (so sorry for this) but what is a "Joyes"?
                  Joyeuse

Joyeuse - FFXIclopedia, the Final Fantasy XI wiki - Characters, items, jobs, and more

Comment

Ah, ok than. Well thank you everybody for the input. I shall certainly consider it when I think about re-joining this game. At the risk of going off topic I will quit asking questions here and just go do my research. =)

Comment

Also (so sorry for this) but what is a "Joyes"?
                      He meant Joyeuse.

And yes. 99.999%* of Warriors will either be using Axes (either Dual-Wield or single-wielded with Fencer) or Great Axes. And your absolute best option until about the mid-50s or so all the way from your very first levels is using Great Axes, because of Shield Break. More info here: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/war...w-awesome.html

* - The other 0.001% have Ridill. Good luck with that one.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Well now that's an answer I like =) That shield break skill looks really nice! Now I'm afraid to ask what happens after level 50? >.>;;;

*Add* Also, a vary informational and insightful thread. The debate is really making me more interested in the class.
                        Last edited by MountainFist; 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM.

Comment

At Lv.48 Dual Wield II becomes available, which gives a 15% Delay reduction to both weapons instead of just Dual Wield I's 10%. At Lv.55 the Axe weapon skill "Rampage" becomes available, which is much stronger than the other Axe weapon skills and beats Great Axe's Sturmwind WS at roughly the same time. Also at 54 people fight Colibri (or at least they used to, been out of the loop for a while), which are terribly resistant to all forms of magic which means Shield Break won't work.

However I believe I wrote that at a time where 2-handed weapons were pretty underpowered. SE changed the way stats are calculated with 2-handed weapons: every 4 STR/DEX gives 3 Attack/Accuracy respectively, whereas with 1-handed weapons you only get 2. Which means that by the time you're level 60, you're going to have a good chunk more Acc and Attack with a Great Axe. At 60 is also when the skill difference between Great Axe and Axe starts to show (A+ vs A-), and it's also when you get the equivalent of Rampage, Raging Rush.

So from 55 to 60, Axe is going to have an advantage due to having a superior WS. But afterwards Great Axe will be awesome again.

I don't know how the status quo has changed as of the Level 80 and 85 caps. Higher tiers of Dual Wield and new weapons could change things.

Comment

Maybe I'll just stick with SAM... >.> At least nobody will take my katana away from me.

Comment

Working...
                            X