Not quite a returning player, but--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite a returning player, but--

Hello folks. I figured this would be as good a place as any to make this post, since everyone here has experience with the game; if not, cut me some slack. =) Besides, I didn't see any "Thinking of coming to FFXI?" Discussion boards.

Here's the thing-- I've been searching for a new MMO for some time now. I've tried several, and none have really been a good fit. I'm hoping some of you guys could give me some insight into FFXI. You see, I'm 31 years old (in other words, I can't stand the OMGWTFz0rz nonsense, which rules out WoW). I didn't like Lord of the Rings, since players seemed to be spoon-fed. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes--well-- most people know how THAT game turned out. I like difficult games, I like difficult raiding, and I can't stand MMOs that give instant gratification.

I've played MMOs since the original Everquest, and as a result I'm quite the hard-core type when it comes down to it; grinding is something I almost expect out of a good MMO.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get some feedback before I take the plunge into yet another MMO.

Thanks much!

Re: Not quite a returning player, but--

Well sounds like you are used to grinding so you won't be surprised that FFXI has that. And the game is far from easy but not so incredibly difficult that newcomers are baffled. There are also great resources out there to help you with any questions you might have. One you could also take a gander at is http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I'd also like to point out that FFXI would be a great starter for when FFXIV comes out later this year or early next year. FFXIV is going to be slightly different but the basic dynamics are going to be the same. It's also great to get in on the ground floor of a new MMO.
    Originally posted by Feba
    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
    Originally posted by DakAttack
    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

FFXI does not hold your hand. It gives you a swift hard kick in the ass and says "go figure it out yourself". Whether or not you immediately run to the wiki is up to you.
      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
      Name: Drjones
      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

These are the droids you are looking for.

FFXI does not hold your hand, is always trying to kill you, and can be very unforgiving when you're not at your best. It's not as bad as it was at first, but that just means it's "less hard", and is still far from easy.

Make sure to do all the storyline missions that you can. Not only are some of them *cough*CoP*cough* very hard, but finding others to do them with is a challenge too.
        Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
        99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
        F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
        >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

1. look at the newbie guide I wrote(shameless self promotion hehehe)

2. FFXI is not easy and you can grind up several jobs on the same character. There are also missions you can do while you're grinding up for more fun, death and excitement. I will admit there's not much you can solo but with the level cap going up to 99 it's gonna be crazy fun XD
          Shadowneko's FFXI Newbie Guide 2009
          (have fun MMO players ^^)
          Jon Davies AKA: Shadowneko of Midradsomr...soon to be transferred to Quetzalcoatl

Comment

Originally posted by Alphatau99 View Post
            I can't stand the OMGWTFz0rz nonsense, which rules out WoW). I didn't like Lord of the Rings, since players seemed to be spoon-fed.
            You'd find people falling under those categories anywhere, FFXI included. Luckily, it's quite possible to avoid them most of the time if you choose your company carefully.

Originally posted by Alphatau99 View Post
            I like difficult games, I like difficult raiding, and I can't stand MMOs that give instant gratification.
            FFXI is definitely for you, as long as you qualify "difficult" with "unless you have good players with you".

Bad players can botch up even no brainier things--"Zone. Take the links away! Um... Why are you not running? Hello?" *plop* *<idiot player> defeated by Wingrats.* "... I'll raise you after the fight...."

/sigh

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
            FFXIV is going to be slightly different but the basic dynamics are going to be the same.
            Hmmm. I wouldn't know if that's the case or not, but find the statement suspicious.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
              Hmmm. I wouldn't know if that's the case or not, but find the statement suspicious.
              WTF is suspicious? lol The basic dynamics are different jobs to level. (and yes they use different terminology but it means the same damn thing.) Which means there will be grinding to do. There are also missions and quests with the awesome cutscenes that SE is famous for. Blah, blah, blah....ya....that's SO suspicious! Call the alpha police! Quick where is Kailea!? Report me! lololololol
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to give ffxi a go. Gotta love the next-day shipping option from Amazaon. =P Any suggestions on which server, etc.? (if anyone wants to be a nice ffxi tutor, do let me know)

Edit: I enjoyed your newbie guide btw, Shadow.
                Last edited by Alphatau99; 05-18-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Im currently on Cerberus & finding it a lot of fun here. They're parties at low levels and if you'd like im sure my linkshell wouldn't mind giving you a pearl. They are pretty helpful too.
                  Name: Alkisti
                  Server: Cerberus
                  Job: 20BRD/10WHM.

Comment

WTF is suspicious? lol The basic dynamics are different jobs to level. (and yes they use different terminology but it means the same damn thing.) Which means there will be grinding to do. There are also missions and quests with the awesome cutscenes that SE is famous for. Blah, blah, blah....
                    Depends on what you call basic dynamics, I suppose. What you described fit what I know of WoW nearly perfectly, except that different jobs (classes) are on different characters--but most players have multiple characters, so WoW players, too, typically have multiple classes (jobs) like us. i.e. Classes (jobs), grind, quests, cut scenes, etc. are all there.

Would you say that FF11 and WoW have the "same basic dynamics"?

I don't think you can have the "dynamics" without a player base interacting with the game environment over a fairly long stretch of time. It also should be noted that neither SE nor the players fully control the dynamics; the development of the NIN tank, its ascendancy to dominance in exp parties and at endgame, and its slow, eventual fall from the top, is a classic example of that.

More than just the play dynamics, though, I'm curious if the FF14 eco system will evolve the same positive "player community" that FF11 is known for. Definitely something I'm interested in finding out, even though I don't plan to play FF14.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                      Depends on what you call basic dynamics, I suppose. What you described fit what I know of WoW nearly perfectly, except that different jobs (classes) are on different characters--but most players have multiple characters, so WoW players, too, typically have multiple classes (jobs) like us. i.e. Classes (jobs), grind, quests, cut scenes, etc. are all there.

Ok....wtf....? I was talking to the OP about FFXI and FFXIV, not WoW. I said something pretty basic about XI being a good primer for FFXIV and I said that because the OP was talking about playing XI and not WoW. So since XIV is an FF game like XI is, I threw out there that it had some of the basic game dynamics as XI so he might enjoy switching over to XIV when it comes out. Now along you come and say what I'm saying is "suspicious" which is wtf worthy. I can maybe agree that your idea of XI and XIV's basic game dynamics may be different than mine. Thats fine. But throwing WoW into the mix when there wasn't even any discussion on that even mentioned is just asinine. What I said wasn't suspicious, it was my opinion and I am allowed to have one. Good lord... lol

Comment

Basically yes they do.... The games are strikingly similar but then again you fin the same things in all rpgs essentially these have just been extended to cover an mmo experience.

Leveling (grinding)
                        FFXI and WoW have a similar leveling system, however most people over look it and simply focus on its easier in wow cuz you can solo. While this is true, and wow soloing is "easier" its not the soloing of mobs, its the quest exp function that makes it seem so much easier and faster. SE soloing is very long and drawn out, they sort of corrected it with FoV but FoV can still be a drag, but then again in WoW questing for 80 levels sucks too.

Leveling (party)
                        In FFXI the staple of grinding is the party since solo is a lot slower, most people try to group up and tackle the grind, more hands makes light work. But the same goes for WoW you can quest/level faster by clearing dungeons or enemies as a team, again many hands makes light work.

Money Making ( to buy stuff)

Arguably the most irritating thing for a new player in FFXI it can be hard to make money, especially since the players have migrated away from starter cities an it can take forever for things to sell on the AH. Most mobs do not drop money, but items that sell for tiny amounts of gil. WoW is not much different when it comes to money, while most mobs drop money it take a long time to make any amount worthwhile. From repairing gear to buying spells and abilities just like in FFXI the money grind is very very hard for new players.

Quests/Missions

In FFXI the missions and quests offer a rich storyline, one ofthe main draws to the long living final fantasy series. rewards are often bleak to none, bu in some cases you can get rewards that will draw you decent money. This is where WoW in my opinion falters, while the Quests are much more rewarding from useful gear to money, there is no real storyline to the game. There are some quests that tell stories of aspecific region, or the history of your class, but overall the story behind WoW lies in the tomes hidden around the world, and in the preceding games.

Essentially basic wise these two games share a lot in common. WoW is not as easy at people make it out to be and Final Fantasy is no as hard as people would like you to believe. Both are great games, and i thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in both. While WoW is a slightly easier game to become well geared and look good, it is not a resault of easier game play, it is more a result of more friendly drop rates.

Come endgame i would have to give actual difficulty prize over to WoW. FFXI endgame is not difficult by any means. The difficulty comes from claiming the monsters and getting the drops. Where as WoW's endgame difficulty comes from the monsters themselves. Everything being instanced insures that every week you will always have a chance at the loot you want, where as in FFXI every week you could stand around watching as the same LS beats you to the punch with its bot, and tries for its chance at a 5% drop.

But there are people who will flame me, but i am sure they have never gone very far in either game to experiencing both.

If you like a challenge but you like to be rewarded fr said challenge play WoW. If you like your challenge to be patience on waiting for a reward for weeks/months/years/decades the play ffxi.

sig courtesy tgm
                        retired -08

Comment

Ok....wtf....? I was talking to the OP about FFXI and FFXIV, not WoW. I said something pretty basic about XI being a good primer for FFXIV and I said that because the OP was talking about playing XI and not WoW. So since XIV is an FF game like XI is, I threw out there that it had some of the basic game dynamics as XI so he might enjoy switching over to XIV when it comes out. Now along you come and say what I'm saying is "suspicious" which is wtf worthy. I can maybe agree that your idea of XI and XIV's basic game dynamics may be different than mine. Thats fine. But throwing WoW into the mix when there wasn't even any discussion on that even mentioned is just asinine. What I said wasn't suspicious, it was my opinion and I am allowed to have one. Good lord... lol
                          The way I used 'suspicious' was in the sense that the validity of your statement seemed suspect--I thought the context was clear. The bit about WoW to was show your idea of same "basic dynamics" is so broad as to making your comparison between FF11 and FF14 to be as insightful as saying FF11 is like WoW. Yes, you're entitled to your personal opinion and such, but pointing out your opinion may have a certain type of flaw is not a persona-- *sigh* You know what? Nevermind.

I don't even have an opinion on what FF14 is like. If you say you can already tell that the dynamics of FF14 will be FF11-like this early in the game, so be it.

- Mugaku

Comment

Good, glad that's over... Much ado about nothing...

Comment

Working...
                            X