Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS2: Worth tracking down the expansions this late in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2: Worth tracking down the expansions this late in the game?

Hey guys, I'm new to the site, but a veteran (and I use that term loosely ) player. First, I'd like to say hello and thank everyone in advance for their thoughts!

My question is this: is it worth it to buy the PS2 expansion packs for this game at this point? I know FFXIV is more or less right around the corner and I expect to make the jump as I'm sure a few others will. Being that I've discovered that the Vana'diel collection for PS2 is next to impossible to find new (or even used, really) for a reasonable price, if I did decide to shell out the cash, or at the very least, maintain my efforts to find it at MSRP, is it even possible for me to access what the expansions will add in the next year or so? (My first time playing, I got my WHM to level 20 in six weeks; I expect my pace to be a bit slower this time around... although it seems things have been tweaked so much in my absence that I could end up leveling just as fast.) Or, should I just be happy with the core game and the first expansion until FFXIV arrives?

Re: PS2: Worth tracking down the expansions this late in the game?

I'd go for the PC version if I were you. You can get a start on a trial account that way and the vanadiel collection for PC is a bit easier to find if you decide to go in full tilt.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I'd do what Bahamut said. And I believe they do little updates instead of expansions now. I could be wrong though..
      A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

it's better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.

R.I.P. Dura's Moms Hard Drive. 2002-2009 Gone, but not forgotten.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

If you're planning on leaving for FFXIV as soon as it's out, I wouldn't bother. Spend your time reading books, playing other games, telling your children you love them; etc., things you won't have time for.

In FFXI, maybe you complete the Shadow Lord storyline. Woo.

The greatest part of FFXI is the world. If you won't have time to sink in to learning it, there's really little point in playing at all.

Comment

Well, the problem with playing on a PC is that I don't have a PC... I have a Mac! I do have a MacBook Pro that I am not using (which can dual boot), but it's not mine and I don't want to commit to a platform that I don't know I'll still have in a few months... nevermind having to deal with Windows and all that... maybe things have gotten better, but I have such horrible memories of compatibility issues on PCs, which I have not had to deal with in quite some time.

I thought about getting a 360... but it really doesn't make any sense for me financially, let alone the fact that XIV will be running on PS3, which I already own (and is what I will be playing FFXI on... the game is already installed, I just need the new codes in the new copy, which is of course en route.)

I guess basically I am worried about running into a bunch of situations where there is stuff I'd like to do or am invited to do, but won't be able to do because I am missing the last three expansions. If it's that bad, I'm willing to track down a used VC '08 for PS2 and then buy a new PC or 360 version for the registration codes... but if I'm unlikely to really encounter anything that is expansion-only within a year or so than there probably isn't any point.

That said, I am wondering if any one expansion outshines the others, or is more essential than the others... compared to obtaining and activating the whole collection, one expansion would be cake. I have been wondering, though, if I bought each expansion separately (which does appeal to me, being something of a collector,) could I activate them all with the VC 2008 codes? Or would that be impossible if the expansions aren't bundled? ...I think I read something somewhere that suggested this might be possible... although in the end I would still end up spending $80 or more. Ugh.

I am sure no matter what I will have fun... FFXI is awesome and I have really missed it over the past few years. I am just curious to see if the expansions are worth the hassle for a new character when high-def sequel goodness is more or less right around the corner... to be clear, though, all of this hinges around the assumption that there will be no further physical media expansion releases for this game with XIV being so close... am I right?

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

Originally posted by Feba View Post
          If you're planning on leaving for FFXIV as soon as it's out, I wouldn't bother. Spend your time reading books, playing other games, telling your children you love them; etc., things you won't have time for.

In FFXI, maybe you complete the Shadow Lord storyline. Woo.

The greatest part of FFXI is the world. If you won't have time to sink in to learning it, there's really little point in playing at all.
          Thanks for your comments, I have considered all of this... I have began XI from the start two separate times, and being that I never actually decided to stop playing after either instance, I have always wanted to come back. It has only been recently that I've had the time on my hands to give the game reasonable attention, so I thought, what the hell? When I happily and immediately found the sealed PS2 copy of XI, sans-HDD, on eBay, I figured it was a sign, and I bought it.

For the sake of perspective, let me say I do have a reasonably deep knowledge of the core game, at least as it existed in '04. I played the last six weeks of the beta (making it to level 20, getting to Jenuo, obtaining my chocobo license and all that,) and I played the retail version for a few months following, so I know enough of the ins-and-outs to not be totally clueless. XI was a big, big deal to me before it was released, playing the beta was a dream come true, and I've always loved the game. Basically I am at the point where it is now or never if I want one last taste of it and a sense of closure, and I decided that I do. I guess really I am just trying to be reasonable in terms of how far I pursue the experiance being that I don't want to exert a lot of time and money expanding the game only to purchase content that I am unlikely to ever have enjoyed by this time next year.

Comment

From the tone of your posts, its sounds to me like you've already answered your own question. My personal opinion would be to forget all the hassle of trying to track down the discs and the pain of installing and just concentrate on XIV and getting into the beta.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

sorry, FFXI is an MMO.

you will never get a sense of closure.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                sorry, FFXI is an MMO.

you will never get a sense of closure.
                there would only be one way for "Closure" at least for me....

1) One of each type of job leveled to 75 (support, DD, healer, Tank, ect)

2) endgame gear for said jobs

4) all gobby bag/mog house epansions

5) all missions done

I wont have this done by the time XIV is released (beta anyway) and plan on switching day one.

I am making the best out of my last months on FFXI, and after 6 years (started OCT 31 2003) I am ready to move on to something new.

....eerr *cough* sorry went off a little bit ;p but yeah just wait for FFXIV, you will be better off ^.^
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Wow finally after 6 years huh? I got tired and needed something new after 3.
                  A mans strength isn't measured by the size of his muscle, but by the size of his heart.

Your family must havehad a hen farm growin', up cause you sure know how to raise a cock

Comment

I thought they were putting out the next Vana'diel Collection, and it would include all the expansions, as well as the 3 mini expansions. All I can find about it is the release date for Japan (11/12/09), but with their desire to do world wide all at once they might release it everywhere and not have said anything outside of the Japanese site yet. Of course FFXIV might be in beta by then (btw- pulling that out my ass, do NOT take it as fact please) so it's up to you if you want to wait.

JPButton � FFXI Vana’diel Collection 2
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Monk Edsel View Post
                      Well, the problem with playing on a PC is that I don't have a PC... I have a Mac!
                      Although personally I never tried it, there are Windows Emulator (such as WINE, which is an open source project) that runs Windows Applications on non-Windows platform:

WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X

FrontPage - The Official Wine Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)

WINE supports DirectX, maybe it can run FFXI on it...

Note: Once again, I never tried the Windows Emulator mentioned in above, so I cannot vouch for it.
                      Server: Quetzalcoatl
                      Race: Hume Rank 7
                      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by pixiehawk View Post
                        I thought they were putting out the next Vana'diel Collection, and it would include all the expansions, as well as the 3 mini expansions. All I can find about it is the release date for Japan (11/12/09), but with their desire to do world wide all at once they might release it everywhere and not have said anything outside of the Japanese site yet. Of course FFXIV might be in beta by then (btw- pulling that out my ass, do NOT take it as fact please) so it's up to you if you want to wait.

JPButton � FFXI Vana’diel Collection 2

they are and its coming out in NOV for us as well, at least I think it is.... but not sure if its coming out for the Ps2, it might just be coming to 360 and PC.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Well that's dumb.. Granted a lot of people don't have their original PS2's with the HDD anymore, but PS3 users with BC might want to play it again for a while till XIV comes out. Even before the announcement of XIV I been wanting to get back into it..

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                            they are and its coming out in NOV for us as well, at least I think it is.... but not sure if its coming out for the Ps2, it might just be coming to 360 and PC.
                            Why would this one not come out for the PS2 when every other one has? Wasn't this game originally for the PS2 and everything else a port? Aren't most of the players in Japan still on the PS2?

SE has not said they have stopped supporting the PS2 (that I've seen, I might have missed it) and until they do I figure that anything they release for the PC or 360 will also come out for the PS2. If you have seen some announcement about their non-support of the PS2 please share.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well a lot of people have slim PS2's now which the HDD doesn't work with..

Comment

Working...
                              X