Over all Game performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over all Game performance

Ok this is a question for 3D games in general. But mainly applies to FFXI (since FFXI does not really rely on the Video card much)

For general 3D performance, should I let Catalyst Control Center run the settings, or let the individual game do that, and not even run CCC to begin with?

I have always wondered this, but just now thought about asking others.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Re: Over all Game performance

Back when I had an ATI card I usually found that just a basic driver installed did enough for me, all the control center did was add time to booting up the computer. I never really fiddled with it extensively though, so hopefully someone else can verify that I'm not just crazy when I say it doesn't matter.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

In my experience the only settings that do any difference are:

Forced V-sync - If you play full screen or play on Vista/W7 and can force V-sync the desktop.

Forced AF - 8x or 16x make textures look pretty good.

Everything else did little difference if any. And unless you are using older drivers I think you need CCC to tweak those settings.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
        In my experience the only settings that do any difference are:

Forced V-sync - If you play full screen or play on Vista/W7 and can force V-sync the desktop.

Forced AF - 8x or 16x make textures look pretty good.

Everything else did little difference if any. And unless you are using older drivers I think you need CCC to tweak those settings.

ah yeah, thats what I have noticed myself, but I hate a pretty bad FPS hit, when I set my AF to anything but off (in FFXI that is)

Comment

I guess it depends on the card, mine works exactly the same with AF off or at 16x. Which sadly means crappy fps on crowded areas regardless.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I guess it depends on the card, mine works exactly the same with AF off or at 16x. Which sadly means crappy fps on crowded areas regardless.
            mmm I might do a test later... because I even have Crossfire enabled -.-

Comment

I'm using HD3650 if that helps.

But yeah, I see no difference whatsoever whether I use forced 16x or just turn it off.
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I'm using HD3650 if that helps.

But yeah, I see no difference whatsoever whether I use forced 16x or just turn it off.
                what CPU you have?

Comment

Phenom, but it was the same back when I was using an Athlon64 and an X1900 card some time ago, there was no difference with maxed AF.

The thing that affected performance for me has always been background-res, regardless of the proc I have at the time. And I don't know if XI even benefits from multi-core processors (doubt it) thanks to the awesome client.

I used to blame DX7 but then Mhurron told me it used DX8, only to change his story later and say it was probably DX6. So who knows.
                  sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Phenom, but it was the same back when I was using an Athlon64 and an X1900 card some time ago, there was no difference with maxed AF.

The thing that affected performance for me has always been background-res, regardless of the proc I have at the time. And I don't know if XI even benefits from multi-core processors (doubt it) thanks to the awesome client.

I used to blame DX7 but then Mhurron told me it used DX8, only to change his story later and say it was probably DX6. So who knows.
                    it doesnt, but its still nice to have it set, to where windows uses 3 of the cores, and leaves one core just for FFXI to use... atleast thats how I am trying to set mine up -.-

Comment

Alot of that lag comes from the server. Someone help me out (armando,mhurron,feba?) isn't there a fucking bandwidth cap on outgoing from the server? I mean I have ridiculus rig, and 20megs/2megs and I get frame rates that make me wanna punch babies.

Heaven forbid I'm in a nursery and someone is like: "Hey, can you increase your frame rate in FFXI?"

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                        Alot of that lag comes from the server. Someone help me out (armando,mhurron,feba?) isn't there a fucking bandwidth cap on outgoing from the server? I mean I have ridiculus rig, and 20megs/2megs and I get frame rates that make me wanna punch babies.

Heaven forbid I'm in a nursery and someone is like: "Hey, can you increase your frame rate in FFXI?"

hahaha I agree... my rig is also... "to much" for FFXI, yet it runs like poo. I know its the way the game was ported over... but still, wish they had gone through with that DX9 update they where going to do -.-

Comment

There's a difference between your framerate (which is directly tied to your FFXI config options and your computers' hardware and has nothing to do with your connection or ping) and connection lag. Whether your connection to the server is good or bad has no bearing on your framerate (obviously it may spike up very briefly if your connection lags heavily and everything on screen needs to suddenly catch up on their position, but that's besides the point.)
                          Last edited by Armando; 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

FFXI is just not optimized for the PC and FPS is capped at 30 no matter what because of the PS2.

500 hours in MS paint

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post

When FFXI was made broadband wasn't very wide spread. To keep everyone on a level playing field as far as connection speeds were, for NM spawns and the like, the game was capped to a 56.6k connection.

Comment

Working...
                              X