Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting FF to work on a restricted network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting FF to work on a restricted network?

I recently moved into university, into university owned halls. The network restricts most games etc through ports I assume. I have heard of tunneling/proxy programs being used in such circumstances to bypass the security. I have been playing around with "Yourfreedom" yet cannot even get it to detect servers

Was just wondering if anyone had any solutions for this? Would be much appreciated.

Re: Getting FF to work on a restricted network?

It's a good question. I was looking at some temporary connectivity issues (turned out to be a DNS server failure) at one point and got some info on what connections POL uses, but that was years go. When I get the chance, I'll try a little netstat and/or tcpdump snooping (yay Linux router).

Tunneling does require an outside box to work with. If you have someone 'on the outside' to work with, you might even see about a full-fledged VPN-type setup. There are a lot of options here. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the solution you mentioned, however.
    Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
    DRK99,DNC91,THF90
    Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
    Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
    WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
    Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
    All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
    Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
    Clothcraft 24
    Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
    BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Even if you get everything to work, (which if your network admins have any sense you won't) SOCKS proxies work too slow for games.

Get a cheap dialup account and play over that.
      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

As far as getting out at all, there are always going to be ways so long as you have any decent amount of access; there are always going to be some means that can't be blocked for one reason or another. If you're really having to hide from overzealous admins, I'd say try either SSH tunnels, or SSL tunneling on the https port of an outside box.

Slowness is a real concern, though, as you're adding a bunch of extra hops, extra bandwidth from encryption and tunnel overhead, and extra processing time at the tunnel ends.
        Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
        DRK99,DNC91,THF90
        Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
        Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
        WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
        Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
        All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
        Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
        Clothcraft 24
        Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
        BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Working...