Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xbox 360 screenshots? Shouldn't it be better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: xbox 360 screenshots? Shouldn't it be better?

Actually, I enjoy playing on the 360 quite a lot. Not only does it have AA and high def, but it can handle dynamis without making it look like a bad flipbook. Another plus is the dolby digital 5.1 which is nice with every game.

Comment

here are a few of my screens from a Xbox 360...and it does look better in front of my HDTV than it does on this screen that was emailed to myself...

don't laugh at the content....I'm only a 20DRK and haven't been many places

I have TONS more, but I doubt you guys are interested.

here is a thread in here that I posted a bunch in a month or two ago...

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/-ga...0.friends.html

Double Post Edited:
      and this is what I play on....from what I hear the lighting and game in motion looks better on the 360..not so much the plain graphics.

Sony Wega 42" Rear Projection LCD HDTV
      I'm still using a cheaper HTIB (home theater in a box) sound system

Not sure if I could stand playing the game if I had to play on a PC, after spending 8 hours a day on a computer at work. It's nice to kick back in my recliner with my 8 ft usb extension and play.

Last edited by Lambeaus; 05-25-2006, 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
      DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
      BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
      Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

well then, welcome to ffxi. Good screenies.

Comment

Agreed, sometimes you just don't want to plunk down in front of the dang computer again! I have a nice comfy setup myself. An overstuffed Italian leather chaise lounge with my 360 hooked up to my 61" HDTV with 6.1 dolby surround. Just the sound alone makes it worth playing on the 360 for me! Our computer room has 3 people in it and we can't play the sounds over the speakers or it would be maddening! Headsets just don't cut it either! So I sometimes sit downstairs and crank it up. I can even stream music to my 360 from my computer upstairs too while I play FFXI.

I did have one issue with it though until I "fixed" it. I was squinting to read the menus and chat! Well, low and behold, it wasn't my tv or my 360.....it was my EYES!! I just got a new pair of glasses and the same blurry screens are as crisp as can be now! LOL Maybe its a good thing the UPS man tried to MPK me and break my glasses.......but ahhhhh thats another story! LOL
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
            Agreed, sometimes you just don't want to plunk down in front of the dang computer again! I have a nice comfy setup myself. An overstuffed Italian leather chaise lounge with my 360 hooked up to my 61" HDTV with 6.1 dolby surround. Just the sound alone makes it worth playing on the 360 for me! Our computer room has 3 people in it and we can't play the sounds over the speakers or it would be maddening! Headsets just don't cut it either! So I sometimes sit downstairs and crank it up. I can even stream music to my 360 from my computer upstairs too while I play FFXI.

I did have one issue with it though until I "fixed" it. I was squinting to read the menus and chat! Well, low and behold, it wasn't my tv or my 360.....it was my EYES!! I just got a new pair of glasses and the same blurry screens are as crisp as can be now! LOL Maybe its a good thing the UPS man tried to MPK me and break my glasses.......but ahhhhh thats another story! LOL
            I LOVE streaming the music from the PC onto my sound system. Sounds so good, and my wife doesn't mind it if she is going to be around (as long as it is music she likes as well )

Also, reclining and playing can be so relaxing after a long day. Last night, I almost dozed off while hunting chest keys in Giddeus!

Thanks for the sig, Selphiie!!

FFXI Xbox360 user ----- BLM 63 / RDM 36/ WHM 42 / THF 25
            DRK 26 / BST 21 / DRG 17 / WAR 17 / MNK 10 / SMN 9 / PUP 4 /
            BLU 1 / PLD 1 / BRD 1 / RNG 1 / NIN 1 / SAM 1
            Bonecraft 63 / Leathercraft 19 / Fishing 7 Windhurst Rank 5

Comment

Ya thats my biggest problem! When I want to play downstairs on the 360 is usually when I'm kinda beat. Having my feet up, over stuff chaise, good music = one sound asleep taru! LOL So I always try to con someone into sitting downstairs with me to keep me awake! They get to play on the laptop.
              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Disapointing 360 graphics

I got a serious issue with the quality of the rendering in FFXI 360. If you look at all the screenshots advertised as 360 screenshot on IGN it look HD and sharp just like on PC using a backbuffer higher than 1024. Ive been playing on PC for a few years and with a front buffer at 1280x1024 and backbuffer at 1600x1600 the graphics look amazing and i tought by the look of the screenshots that the rendering was also high on XBOX.

My first setup was using my XBOX on my computer LCD monitor that is 4:3 and god it was ugly. it look like 1280x768 frontbuffer with a 1024x1024 backbuffer (thats the highdef setting on PC if you dont the regedit trick) and far far far from what i had on PC. So i sent en email to techsupport and after exchanging hardware info with them i was told that my DELL LCD monitor didnt support HD resolution of 720p and (this one got me thinking that the tech had seriously no idea what he was talking about) that my DELL LCD monitor was not able to display progressive and just did interlaced.....

Last time I checked 1280x1024 was over 720p and digital but anyway i could be a compat problem when using an xbox 360 VGA cable. Many games got problem with those cable when playing on 4:3 monitor. Oblivion and PGR3 for example.

So I went out and finaly bought i real HDTV that I use as computer monitor also. Let me tell you that I was seriously in shock when i started FFXI and the picture was still that low resolution image i had before. Looks like Square advertise FFXI as 720p because the frontbuffer (interface menu ect) is rendering at 720p the back buffer is rendering at 1024x1024 just like the default PC setting. To make sure i went in the FFXI PC setting and changed my setting to 720p frontbuffer and backbuffer to 1024x1024 and i get exactly the same picture. This is not even near the picture quality we get in other 360 games when you can barely see the texture on a monster 5 meters from you. If my PC nvidia 6800 can handle 1600x1600, i'd like to know why it as to suck so bad on 360.... Seems like Square doesnt really want to support resolution over 1024x1024 for some reasons...

This is not the HD ERA...... Back to my PC now.
                Last edited by neighbortaru; 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM. Reason: merged

Comment

Re: Disapointing 360 graphics

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting, gplourde. I mean, it's a port of the PC version; PC version only supports 3 backbuffers of 256x256, 512x512, and 1024x1024. Why would they add more than that, especially since they weren't making any major changes to the game, just moving it onto a different system?
                  Last edited by Quanta; 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM. Reason: Clairifying who I'm speaking to

Comment

1024x1024 was cool 4 years ago.... My point is that on the PC we can bypass that and go really high and on the XBOX we are stuck at 1024x1024 on hardware that should use at least 1280x1280 and it says 720p on the box and microsoft said that all game are at 720p with 2xaa. FFXI doesnt even have 2xAA. It could be running perfectly on the original XBOX btw. It flickers, look bad and not near the screenshots released.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7...56/imgs_1.html

These are photoshoped also to add effects! woooo

Comment

Re: Disapointing 360 graphics

Originally posted by Quanta
                      I'm not quite sure what you were expecting, gplourde. I mean, it's a port of the PC version; PC version only supports 3 backbuffers of 256x256, 512x512, and 1024x1024. Why would they add more than that, especially since they weren't making any major changes to the game, just moving it onto a different system?
                      Because they are probably one of the people that heard the stupid rumors of the XBox 360 version being upgraded on the image quality. Which was completely false just idiot babble for people to fall for (Great marketing trick even though it's very sly). That and they can't grasp what is means to increase draw distance, they think increased draw distance translates to higher definition it does not.

Yes and as far as the games Resolution settings you got to consider that when the game was made the technology at that time barely could take the 1024x1024 backbuffer. Square-Enix as they had said when they made they first made the game they had two goals they wanted to avoid. One was not having to totally revamp old coding done unless it has a purpose to do in advancement of the game and the other was to keep the game syncronized among all it's supported platforms.

So if upgrading the program to go higher then 1024 causes an issue with the PS2 and versions it out they wouldn't do it. Though also upgrading the backbuffer higher then 1024 hasn't really presented itself to being a necesity to the games advancement either so of course I doubt they've looked into changing that in the first place.

Double Post Edited:
                      Originally posted by gplourde
                      1024x1024 was cool 4 years ago.... My point is that on the PC we can bypass that and go really high and on the XBOX we are stuck at 1024x1024 on hardware that should use at least 1280x1280 and it says 720p on the box and microsoft said that all game are at 720p with 2xaa. FFXI doesnt even have 2xAA. It could be running perfectly on the original XBOX btw. It flickers, look bad and not near the screenshots released.

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/7...56/imgs_1.html

These are photoshoped also to add effects! woooo
                      Hah, look at that hit what they were going to say right on the head before even seeing they stated it.
                      Last edited by Macht; 05-30-2006, 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

As already stated, FFXI on the 360 isn't going to look leaps and bounds better because there are limitations to the SOFTWARE. As far as the screenshots, FFXI looks fantastic on my HDTV. I would have to compare the screens side by side and recreate the effects in them but its pretty darn close to what I see on my screen. I know its leaps and bounds better than the PS2 and about equal to one of our average pc's. (And this is without running any windower cheats.) Now my laptop runs at 1900x1280 and that makes it a bit more crisp than my tv. But in the end, the limitations on the software are going to make it look a lot less than what it can be on ANY system.

Comment

ok I found those screenshots http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/scre...al-Fantasy-XI/

This look like what we get on 360 and now imagine on a 40" display heh

If you move up in the screenshots you can compare to those ToAU Screeny that are definatly higherres marketing stuff.

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/scre...al-Fantasy-XI/

I'll try browsing the files on my xbox HDD and see if there is something in there that we can change to get higher backbuffer like on the PC in the registry.

Comment

I think you're hallucinating, gplourde. It looks like any other FFXI screen to me.

Comment

i like the graphics on my 360 and am a ps2 fan so....................
                              as long as am playing...............

Comment

The graphics on the 360 are good (I couldn't stand the PS2 graphics). While the PC version is still better, it is nice having a console option.

The huge thing I don't like is the controller. I don't know if it is just because I'm used to the Dualshock (I use a PS2 -> USB adapter), but the 360 controller doesn't seem to work well for FFXI, it seems like it isn't responsive enough, especially w/ the D-Pad.
                                I own the 360 version, but due to the controller I don't use it much... Only time I stick it in any more is if I can't use my PC (if it dies or something, which is rare anymore), or to unlock Achievements after accomplishing certain things (I don't do these things for the achievements, but if I did them anyway, might as well since all I have to do is talk to an NPC).
                                Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                                Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                                Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                                Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                                Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Working...
                                X