Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Visible Ranged Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visible Ranged Weapons

Why are my bow and gun hidden from me?

Would SE ever consider a cosmetic upgrade to player models by allowing equipped ranged weapons to be visible on/in the player's back/holster? There are already a few NPCs in-game that display their ranged weapons in their character models (and they look amazing). It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to give players this extra trait.
    God helps men because they are great.
    Men are great because God helps them.
    http://sleeplionheart.blog63.fc2.com/
    Hana ha Sodatsu|| FFXI Haiku

Re: Visible Ranged Weapons

I've been waiting for this issue to come up. I would really like to see my bow/xbox/gun, as they are a ranger's primary weapon. No cape is one thing, but as you said, there are already NPCs with bows. I could understand that it would be a problem for non-rangers, as WAR/DRK/SAM all use two-handed weapons, which would make the model look kinda screwy.

I really hope this question is forwarded to SE, as I would at least like to know their official reasoning behind the decision to hide ranged weapons.

Comment

I think it would be a great idea for Rangers or players subbing ranger, players who won't normally wear two-handed weapons like swords. Only problem is, say... PLD/RNG, DRK/RNG, SAM/RNG, since they could wear greatswords or great katanas. ... I don't know, but I do wish it could be worked in some way. Rangers do deserve to have their main weapon be shown.
      guh :D

Comment

I'm surprised this question hasn't come up sooner.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Good idea, and also let's have visible capes!

Surely capes are a programmers worst nightmare, but damn they would look really cool.

Comment

Capes would be really nice too, but the movement is a bitch I'm sure. That and it would involve actually creating new content.

Ranged weapons should be easy. I think the model for your ranged weapon is already loaded all the time if you have one equipped, it just isn't displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cometgreen
              I've been waiting for this issue to come up. I would really like to see my bow/xbox/gun, as they are a ranger's primary weapon.
              Ranger's Ranged Attack CRUSHES THE VERY LIFE out of Orcish Warlord!

Orcish Warlord: So... so very heavy...

...Seriously though... They're probably like the giant Fuma Shuriken, that can't stack ^^
              Wevrain - Shiva

Comment

Because then staves and ranged weapons on a rangers back would interfere with each other. Rangers can equip a number of staves, not to mention elemental staves. And a lot of rangers use fire/vulcan staff. There are many staves that can be equipped by all jobs. One would have to take priority over the other. Or they can both be there together in some weird sort of mishmash, I dunno. NPCs don't have this problem. You could make it so that rangers can't equip staves at all. But then there goes trick/treat staff and signet staff too. Not to mention no longer being able to use fire staff. I know that may not be important to rangers, it certainly isn't important to me, but it'd be more than just a simple change I think.
                My Signature. Now with 50% more processed ham product than those other leading signatures.

Which FF Character Are You?
                Originally posted by Balfree
                Why does every discussion have to be a little festivity of sorts, with purple doom rain and lunatic frogs singing the yodelay on top of mushrooms and little babies being eaten by crazy flying cows and green gas explosions on the horizon and screaming goats?

Comment

Mmm, there is that, but it seems like a minor hurdle. A back-mounted main weapon could just take precedence over the ranged weapon or there could be a toggle.

Actually, a bigger problem I just thought if is that a new animation for drawing the weapon would have to be created.

Comment

Hmmm. Not necessarily. I magically reach up the back of my shirt and voila! There's my bow. I'm hume though. I know elvaan reach over their right shoulder to draw a xbow. That very well could be why they don't, though I hope not. I've wanted to see my bow on my back ever since the beginning.
                    If they're going to change animation, perhaps they could make them carried some otherway? Perhaps bow string around the shoulder? And xbow or gun kinda holstered behind your sub weapon? (No sub weapon if not /nin, but still in the same place.)
                    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

There is enough room on a player to have Greatswords and Bows stored on their body. Guns and Crossbows would probably hang off the waist.
                      Read my blog.
                      ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                      Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                      Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

I agree with this as well, it makes much more sense to show the weapon out and ready then to magically pull one out of thin air right when you are about to make a ranged attack. Plus I think some people like to show off their weapons and rangers won;t get that benefit like the other races who's main weapon is...well... their main.

Comment

certain jobs could have overrides. a ranger's bow/gun would always be visible, where a dragoons polearm would override the visibility of any ranged weapon, etc.
                          God helps men because they are great.
                          Men are great because God helps them.
                          http://sleeplionheart.blog63.fc2.com/
                          Hana ha Sodatsu|| FFXI Haiku

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage
                            Capes would be really nice too, but the movement is a bitch I'm sure. That and it would involve actually creating new content.

Ranged weapons should be easy. I think the model for your ranged weapon is already loaded all the time if you have one equipped, it just isn't displayed.
                            I think that answers the question quite nicely.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X