Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Does SE have any plans to make the rollout of WoG less painful than ToAU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does SE have any plans to make the rollout of WoG less painful than ToAU?

I am of course referring to the hideous roll-out of Treasures of Aht Urghan and the inordinate number of complaints (from a significant population) about the lag, the incessant file checking, and disconnects from the patch server.
    Last edited by Sabaron; 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM.

Re: Does SE have any plans to make the rollout of WoG less painful than ToAU?

I thought this was an ask SE forum, not "Send SE suggestions" forum

Either way, they'll never see this 'question'.
    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Just because I elaborate and make suggestions doesn't detract from the fact that my question is in fact a question. Which of the posting rules does it violate? Can you find 9 better questions? It's possible that it's too late to send but oh well on that.

The reason I want to know is so that when I get my pre-ordered copy of WoG, I will either install it or wait 2 weeks and then install it based on the information. Otherwise, I have to wait until people start posting complaints again before installing it. Either way it works. The question's value is that if SE has already taken steps to ensure a smoother roll-out, I would be most interested in knowing. I could have simply stopped at the question itself, but I like to add information and suggestions to everything. It's obviously too late to implement any grand well-tested solution at this point.
      Last edited by Sabaron; 11-06-2007, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I don't remember any of the issues listed being any worse for the ToAU release than they have been for every other major update.

To me, the biggest problem with ToAU was the lack of available PS2 copies. Remember all those horror stories about people having to wait a month or more while it was on back order?
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Actually, I had that problem too (sort-of)! I pre-ordered through GameStop (in store) and some store monkey gave my PC copy to a PS2er and then I had to wait 3 days for them to get another PC copy in. Needless to say... I ordered online through EBGames this time.

Comment

Um... the addition of the ToA expansion was VASTLY smoother than the constant patching and updating CoP had to go through in its first month. I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

ToA was a molehill. Biggest problem I remember was them setting a HP in Al'Zahbi and that causing a lot of disconnect issues since 700+ would idle there for besieged.

Hell, if you've been keeping tabs, they're already updating for WotG now so when the expansion hits, the transition will be as smooth as possible.

Comment

Goto

Also, this is not the suggestions forum. And if you were going to make a suggestion, suggesting SE just let us download the game would've been a much better option.

Comment

In order to prevent further interest in the "suggestion" portion of my post. I have removed that portion entirely leaving only the question.
                ------------------------------------------
                Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                Um... the addition of the ToA expansion was VASTLY smoother than the constant patching and updating CoP had to go through in its first month. I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

ToA was a molehill. Biggest problem I remember was them setting a HP in Al'Zahbi and that causing a lot of disconnect issues since 700+ would idle there for besieged...
                I'm not generally referring to the actual game content and associated updates due to problems after roll-out completion, but rather to the update itself. I don't know when you got your CD, but I got mine 3 days late b/c of a mix-up (read up) at the store, and when I did, I couldn't get my machine to stay connected to the update server (which never happens). I got continual time outs, d/c's due to time outs and every time this happened it required manual intervention to restart the patcher which, of course, ran a full file scan each time. The end result is that it took multiple sessions over 3 days to get the master patch downloaded.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                ..Hell, if you've been keeping tabs, they're already updating for WotG now so when the expansion hits, the transition will be as smooth as possible.
                This is the exact type of information I was looking for however. Rolling out portions of the eventual "total package" in advance eases update server congestion and is a method for reducing roll-out update issues.
                Last edited by Sabaron; 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

it doesn't matter. you're still suggesting that SE do such and such a thing. That is your motive, what it produces is still going to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                    it doesn't matter. you're still suggesting that SE do such and such a thing. That is your motive, what it produces is still going to suck.
                    There is no "suggestion" in the OP any more. All that remains is your memory of it. The question now refers only to actions taken or planned by SE currently to alleviate the issues mentioned.

Comment

No direct suggestion, perhaps, but it's still painfully obvious that there is a suggestion in it. Just like about 4/5 threads in this forum. It's sad really.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabaron View Post
                        I'm not generally referring to the actual game content and associated updates due to problems after roll-out completion, but rather to the update itself. I don't know when you got your CD, but I got mine 3 days late b/c of a mix-up (read up) at the store, and when I did, I couldn't get my machine to stay connected to the update server (which never happens). I got continual time outs, d/c's due to time outs and every time this happened it required manual intervention to restart the patcher which, of course, ran a full file scan each time. The end result is that it took multiple sessions over 3 days to get the master patch downloaded.
                        Then you had bad luck. Unless you were on the 360, ToAU by everyone else's accounts was painless and the 360's issues were mostly worked out hours after it went live. Yes that's right hours. ToAU rollout was, after it was all said and done, well done.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                        X