Announcement

Collapse

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN THIS FORUM!

In order to properly organize all the questions in to an appropriate list for the administration team to compile in to a list to be submitted to Square Enix, please post ONE QUESTION PER THREAD ONLY!

If you are not asking a question, do NOT post a thread, please take your discussions elsewhere. If you wish to comment on a question, or provide an answer to a question, please post a reply, but any questions inside a thread that is not the first post of the thread will be ignored.

For the subject line, please put one of the things:
A.) Put the question in the subject line and the message.
OR
B.) If the question is too long, put part of the question and then repeat the entire question in the post.

Please make sure a thread with the same question does not already exists, or your thread may be merged or deleted.

Threads that do not conform to these rules may be overlooked and not added to the list to be submitted to SquareEnix.

Disclaimer: Things subject to change without notice, especially if SquareEnix decides to change it on us.

Thank you,
AKosygin
FFXIOnline.com Moderation and Administration Team
See more
See less

Any info on the FFXI prequel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on the FFXI prequel?

Okay, I have a better question then.

Any info on your new MMORPG which may or may not be related to FFXI?

Re: Any info on the FFXI prequel?

Umm, what?

Care to be a little more clear on your question?

Comment

They are keeping a tight lip on the details of the next MMORPG. However.....
      I can tell you what I got so far from them as far as hints.

The next MMORPG will also have the Japanese and U.S. players start out at the same time, meaning a simultaneous release. Which also implies that they will be playing on the same servers and the servers will also be hosted in Japan. But as far as European players, they might be a tad screwed.

In addition, the next MMORPG will be hosted on PlayOnline (though I think that can be easily guessed). The next MMORPG will likely be a Square side of the SquareEnix brand related, prequel or sequel or directly related with FF or FF XI specifically is unknown. Console support is not ruled out, but it is not implied included either; i.e. they are silent on console support.

I think that is all the "implied" information I got from the summit when they were discussing the next MMORPG.
      Signature was intentionally left blank.

Comment

Oh, that's what they were asking.

I forgot where I read this, but the next supposed MMO game will NOT in any way be related to the current FFXI. It'll be a whole new world with an entirely new story.

I wish I could remember where I read that.

Comment

An idea would be maybe a single player FFXI version, (like a name "FFXI: Before the Rise"?) that unlocks the changes that we've gained over the time played. Starting with original release with the 6 jobs to where we are now in ToAU. Just to get an idea how it was then to how it is now. While going more in depth with all of the story lines and even actual voices for the characters =3 and the classic CS styles for the CSs
          Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Say what you will about me, but I just don't understand the notion of a sequal to an MMORPG. Why would you use all your resources to produce a new, huge, "never-ending" game with all the same elements as your last? If they included the same world, races, jobs, etc. it would seem like they were preaching to the choir.

It makes much more sense IMHO, to just go a completely different direction. While you may not be hedging any bets, you could let go of any problems or crappiness of the first game and possibly make a more interesting, engrossing, and exciting game. I love FFXI, but I don't want to do the same thing over again with a new coat of gloss. If I'm going to commit to a new MMO, dang it all, it will be to experience something completely new. (Maybe "Completely new" doesn't exactly apply to MMOs).

Comment

Originally posted by Akashimo View Post
              An idea would be maybe a single player FFXI version, (like a name "FFXI: Before the Rise"?) that unlocks the changes that we've gained over the time played. Starting with original release with the 6 jobs to where we are now in ToAU. Just to get an idea how it was then to how it is now. While going more in depth with all of the story lines and even actual voices for the characters =3 and the classic CS styles for the CSs
              A lot of companies have turned away from the PC due to losing money on sales (no boot, downloadable iso's, etc.) (or so I read somewhere) One way to recuperate from lost of sales is to instill $$$ into a subscription based service.

I've also read that the same companies switch to console, because it's less likely to be hacked, modified, etc.
              Hacked on 9/9/09
              FFXIAH - Omniblast

Comment

Originally posted by AKosygin View Post
                They are keeping a tight lip on the details of the next MMORPG. However.....
                I can tell you what I got so far from them as far as hints.
                The next MMORPG will also have the Japanese and U.S. players start out at the same time, meaning a simultaneous release. Which also implies that they will be playing on the same servers and the servers will also be hosted in Japan. But as far as European players, they might be a tad screwed.
                In addition, the next MMORPG will be hosted on PlayOnline (though I think that can be easily guessed). The next MMORPG will likely be a Square side of the SquareEnix brand related, prequel or sequel or directly related with FF or FF XI specifically is unknown. Console support is not ruled out, but it is not implied included either; i.e. they are silent on console support.
                I think that is all the "implied" information I got from the summit when they were discussing the next MMORPG.
                Wow, JP and NA players playing again? That's unusual considering all the complaints from xenophobes but at the same time intriguing. They must still love the idea that the world plays together. :) But a simultaneous release is very awesome news! Thanks for sharing.

People worrying that it will be a direct sequel can put their fears to rest. Here's some articles on this rumored MMO.
                http://videogames1.mtv.com/pages/gam...946&pid=928330
                http://ps3.ign.com/articles/702/702289p1.html
                http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/final...ml?sid=6154196
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=MOR795E7vag (tech demo supposedly what it'll look like)
                http://ps3.ign.com/articles/758/758359p1.html (will the unreal engine be involved?)
                http://ps3.ign.com/objects/823/823994.html (untitled MMORPG page XD)

Comment

SE HAS said in the past that they designed FFXI as if it were an offline game (as far as levels and such). It wouldn't be a huge step for them to make FFXI games, and make them act like .hack, just not worth it (people who want an MMO play online, people who don't PROBABLY won't play it unless they're hardcore FF fans that want to say they beat it)

HOWEVER, SE did release demo videos that look FAR different from modern FFXI, under the name "Final Fantasy XI"- and all the ones we have so far Are "Final Fanasy XI -Online-" (look under FF in the logos, it's very possible)

Comment

Oh, and I really doubt SE making another JP/NA MMO, considering all the problems that have risen up, mainly because of NAs and the way a lot of NA fans have acted. In fact, i'd say NA is lucky if we get more SE MMOs ingeneral. They'll happily sell us offline games, since they don't have to deal with community complaints from that, but given the way NAs are usually "Waah...do this! NO WAIT, THAT'S BAD, WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" not to mention the complaints a lot of JP players have...

let's admit it, SE is a japanese company, japanese consumers have the advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by moonglo View Post
                      Wow, JP and NA players playing again? That's unusual considering all the complaints from xenophobes but at the same time intriguing.
                      Xenophobes are a vocal minority. Most players in have no problem playing with decent players. For SE, that just means more profit potential.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Making anything "Final Fantasy" and not putting it one a console is a ridiculous notion, its coming to console, whatever it is, especially with PC gaming ailing like it is these days, focus on multiplatform development is at an all-time high and now higher than usual for SE.

Its coming to console, whether they say it or not.

Sequels to MMOs I don't understand. Expansions are MMO sequels. Offline prequel to FFXI, I wouldn't mind seeing that. New Final Fantasy MMO? If its pre-established or entirely new world, I'd probably go for it (FFVI or Invalice, yes please), but its FFXI-2. I'd rahter not.

At any rate, shouldn't this topic be moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Omniblast View Post
                          A lot of companies have turned away from the PC due to losing money on sales (no boot, downloadable iso's, etc.) (or so I read somewhere) One way to recuperate from lost of sales is to instill $$$ into a subscription based service.
                          I've also read that the same companies switch to console, because it's less likely to be hacked, modified, etc.
                          I were did I say it being a PC only game? I didn't imply that anywhere. (As to iso's, I do buy the game from the offical site if i really like it ^^; .)
                          Now what I was thinking giving us a more in depth story as a prequel to FFXI as we know it. Even start the game with that classic CS that has the orcs attacking and we pick up there as Aldo or maybe one of the adventurers/soliders that found him or something. Maybe even toss in a connectivity feature to import our char data from FFXI: Online into the game by buying a sharing pass (key item) in the 3 starting cities that allows our data to go into the offline game. Idk, just tossing up ideas. And .hack is fun to play on days with maintances ^.^
                          Adventures of Akashimo Hakubi & Nekoai Nanashi

Comment

Console support is not ruled out, but it is not implied included either; i.e. they are silent on console support.
                            I believe they did state that it'll be Windows Vista, Xbox 360, and PS3. As for offline prequel that would be interesting. Mainly because you could fit alot of story into it that would be more difficult online like the Crystal War or major event that are further back.

Wow, JP and NA players playing again? That's unusual considering all the complaints from xenophobes but at the same time intriguing.
                            I think the JP and NA communities have reached an understanding of each other these days. Agreed there was many misunderstandings and a culture shock for both but that's in the past. Besides the time difference does help make things smoother since the prime times are in the complete opposite of each other.
                            Last edited by Dyvid; 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X