WoWer trying FFXI, best toon for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoWer trying FFXI, best toon for me?

My main on WoW is a lock.. dps/damage.. I was a hardcore endgame raider.
    I'd like to know what characters are mostly needed so I don't choose one thats overplayed.
    As dps in wow its harder to run dungeons/raids because there are so many.
    Tanks being the most sought after.. is this true in FFXI? I've played all the rolls in wow on my other toons so i'm comfortable and familiar with running raids.. I want to be prepared for endgame content.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Re: WoWer trying FFXI, best toon for me?

My suggestion is for you to attempt to not look for parallels between the two games. While FFXI is a thoroughly enjoyable game, it isn't something you can power through in a month without massive amounts of help. It's much slower paced where you'll find yourself more or less useless without a party.

Right now, the current fad for leveling 60+ and meriting is birds. They're weak to piercing, which means polearms, daggers, and arrows. During end-game events there's an emphasis on not feeding the big guys TP, so if you're not a Samurai you'll be subbing it. At any point before that you'll have a lot of flexibility because there aren't a million people seeking anymore. The pickings are a little slimmer.

All-in-all, Samurai would probably be the best job to take to end-game. They can do just about everything. You'll need to level a job to 30 first, then unlock it, before taking it to 75.

Oh, and since I didn't give the most in-depth explanation of anything, you should research what I said at ffxiclopedia.org.

Comment

If you want to get groups fast go pld. I'm not sure about end game - the highest toon I've had is 68 - but when I get on my Pally I get a group in less than 5 minutes. That's saying something because as other classes I've waited around for hours - thank god while doing homework - and received no party invites.

That being said I will definitely agree with the above poster. I am also a WoW vet as well as - EQ2, EQOA, COH, Aion, Etc. The grind in FFXI, when compared with ALL of these except maybe Aion - is much, much slower. There are also some tedious and annoying quests you have to get out of the way, like chocobo feeding, before you can really get around in the game which can be quite frustrated.

However, once those little things are our of the way, I think you will find FFXI a much more enriched gameplay experience. The player base seems more mature and willing to help out new players and the storyline is much better.

Enjoy your time in Final Fantasy.

Airinya (Dustin)

PS I just had to restart my character after coming back after a year. You may want to check out the Aszura server. They have a VERY high population compared to the others so it's easier to get groups.

Comment

Since you are asking about toon, I assume you meant what race you would want to be. After years of many people researching, the FFXI community came to the conclusion of "race doesnt matter much" when you are at end game. The negatives of each race can be easily compensated by equipment or player skill.

If you are talking about job (class) then you can change that without changing your toon. As mention before, some will need to be unlocked before you can use them.
        PSN ID: Kelshan
        Completed: F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Turok, The Darkness, Viking: Battle of Asgard, Timeshift, Folklore, Time Crisis 4, Dark Sector, Heavenly Sword, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, The Orange Box, DBZ: Burst Limit, Assassin's Creed, Lair, Overlord, Fracture, Condemned 2, Legendary, BattleField Bad Company 2, Infamous, UT3, Far Cry 2, Resistance 2, Borderlands
        Currently Playing: MW2 (Stuck in broken Phat PS3 ), Call of Juarez
        sigpic

Comment

DakAttack
          No worries on the terminology. I gotta learn it
          I'm either going Samuri or Pally then.. So you can just change from one to the other?

Dustin
          Thanks for the input.. It sounds really fun and i'm looking forward to a change from wow.

I don't want to get involved with something where i'm sitting around waiting for a group because that role (class?) is overbooked.. Now that I have an idea of whats good and needed, i'll research those online.

I'm open to more suggestions too!

Comment

Yep, your job and sub-job can be changed at any time from your Mog House. You wont be able to select a sub-job until you complete a certain quest at level 18, but most of the items required for that quest can be gathered from normal EXP enemies before you begin in.

Comment

Originally posted by DakAttack View Post
              Yep, your job and sub-job can be changed at any time from your Mog House. You wont be able to select a sub-job until you complete a certain quest at level 18, but most of the items required for that quest can be gathered from normal EXP enemies before you begin in.
              Yea, the only item you may need help with is either the Bloody Robe (For one of the quests), and the Magicked Skull (Still, depending on which one you decide to do.) Both of them can be a bit of a pain to get, even when you go to the Gusgen Mines and kill non stop for it.

And let me emphasize, this game is NOTHING like WoW. Solo is slow (Except in early levels, and higher levels depending on the job). The grinding is needed to have a party with, and everything requires team work, unless you are a high enough level. Even some areas need others to get past.

Comment

I expect him to quit in 3 weeks.
                Burning questions are burning: Is jenova_9 really a girl and is she cute? Does she talk like that in real life?

Burning.

This is why I J9: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/off...otionally.html

http://selenagomez.com/

Comment

Well... honestly, atleast on my server, SAM is "overplayed"... since in your original post you said you wanted to avoid that, I'd go with PLD.

There isn't really a job that matches up with Warlock in WoW. Warlock in WoW would probably be a cross between BLM and SMN... just so you know.

You (like me) are a little late in the game on FFXI, it's been out for 7 years. Even if you grind heavy, it'll take a few months to get your first char to 75. And by the time you get there, the cap will be 80 more than likely, and continue to go up.

I wish I didn't play WoW and played FFXI from release But I had many good times in WoW, so it wasn't a total loss. But I do enjoy FFXI much more!

Good luck...
                  Joined FFXI September 15th, 2009 | PlayStation 2/3
                  Retired July 8th, 2010.
                  Current Server: Unicorn
                  Current Home Nation: San d'Oria (Rank 10)
                  Race/Sex: Hume/(Fe)male
                  Current Jobs: 80BRD, 75NIN, 59DNC, 51WHM, 43WAR, 38BLM, 38DRK

Comment

If you like any of the mage duties I would recommend Sch. I can't think of a single end-game linkshell that I am involved in that wouldn't want a Sch.
                    "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

If your only concern is invite rate then level Bard. Satisfaction is not guaranteed, but the invites are.
                      Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                      Name: Drjones
                      Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

i like the blm and scholar would be interesting if it has a high invite rate.. i'm starting to think against sam

so i'm getting that this is 'kinda' like wow in the group quest part but this game is mostly group quests were wow is mostly solo until endgame

this is EXACTLY the info i've been looking for guys.. thank you soo much

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                          If your only concern is invite rate then level Bard. Satisfaction is not guaranteed, but the invites are.
                          Bard does get A LOT of invites. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner though as it is a very busy job, and requires the use of a lot of macros, and you need to be on your feet all the time. Ready to deal with a link, sleep a mob, buff the party, pull, etc....

It is a nice job if you don't want to get bored, as it can be a lot of fun, or very stressful.

For fast invites I would recommend Paladin, Ninja, or a healer.

Comment

ok made a toon.. theres no menu bar for spells/attacks/etc like wow
                            this seems to be infinitesimally more simplistic of a game

Comment

You guys think we should tell him about gear swapping or is he not ready for that yet?
                              Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                              Name: Drjones
                              Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Working...
                              X