Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite update? Personally game changing update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite update? Personally game changing update?

Many of us have seen FFXI change quite a bit, but few of us were around before Sneak, Invisible, and Deodorize were added (four months after JP PS2 release).

What update changed the game the most for you?

The addition of Seigan made the greatest impact. It motivated my second return to FFXI and cemented SAM as my favorite job to duo with my RDM.

What update is your favorite?

Level Sync. This hasn't made a huge impact for me, but it would have dramatically changed the game for many of us had it existed from the beginning.

Re: Favorite update? Personally game changing update?

Fields of Valor, Sentinel change, and the all the updates to shield (plus Reprisal).
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

The WHM update was the most fun (and relevant to me)

Level Sync was the most game-changing overall.
      sigpic
      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

For me it's probably the last 2. Composure and Enspells II were great, and the new campaign additions stopped me from cancelling for good.

Also there's still another Campaign update left at least (last 2 medals), so hopefully those last pieces of equip they add will be even better.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

@OP: Duh.
          Originally posted by Armando
          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
          Originally posted by Taskmage
          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Probably when they implemented merits.

FoV and Level sync are both pretty amazing.

Augmenting gear falls in that same lines.

2-hand updated pretty much defined the future of end game dmg output when it came out
            ( ^ such an accuraccy change allowed for faster TP build, more 5-6 hits with consitency, etc., clearly debatable of course)

The addition of sch and dnc. (hell, even campaign, as SE went away from their entire previous game structure format, and gave players a viable solo option at any given time.)
            ---sub on that, the nerf to skill ups. I'm still fucking sick to my stomach at the way SE handled that. pieces of fucking shit designers, too fucking lazy to implement it the right way. (/fume)

that's about it I recon

Comment

The last WHM update was most fun even though it's clear that the playerbase no longer cares about WHMs who actually want to main heal anymore.

Favourite update was the one that added Aspir and Sublimation to SCH making WHM/SCH on par with RDM in terms of MP ednurence
              Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
              Reiko Takahashi
              - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                it's clear that the playerbase no longer cares about WHMs who actually want to main heal anymore.
                I do. ._.
                No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                Matthew 16:15

Comment

For me it's the 2-handed update (the 2nd patch, not the 3rd and final)

The initial patch was horribly OP (though it was fun as hell doing 1K+ WS with Soboro) but the 2nd one felt just right. Oh well.

As for best new feature, it's gotta be level synch (with assault & campaign coming in close)
                  sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
                    I do. ._.
                    Then you are now my hero! Really though I find it sad that to get merits on my WHM I either have to sit through hours and hours of endless campaigns, solo hours upon hours of Cape and Sky FoV or have to sync down to some terrible 5k/hour party that's just settling for a WHM and/or has a friend repping a RDM or RDM friend that needs repping and wants to give me a sympathy invite. You know your server hates WHMs when people start inviting Summoners to main heal before White Mages. I can name six different occasions when I was on PLD or COR and trying to get the leader to invite one of the seeking WHMs yet they insisted on bringing SMNs into the party to solo heal . I'm not complaining about SE's lack of love for the real healer class; at least they threw us a nice update but seriously, what does it take to actually get other players to invite you into a good party for once?

To stay on topic I really liked MMM. The concept of it was very good and a lot of the parties I have had in there have been a lot of fun. Though I swear I'm cursed when doing MMM. Every time I go into it and nobody has set a specific monster rune elementals will ALWAYS spawn. Every time .
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                      The last WHM update was most fun even though it's clear that the playerbase no longer cares about WHMs who actually want to main heal anymore.
                      Tell that to my LS! I never got to play anything else.

If you are just talking about merits then yes, that's true, but there isn't much endgame you can really do without a few WHMs.
                      sigpic

Comment

The couple of endgame shells I've trialed with tend to have the attitude I mentioned towards WHMs so I would say it does apply . They were pretty terrible shells though. I lost a 20k buffer on WHM at Dyna Basty alone with one and another shell called me selfish and booted me because I couldn't stay to farm Sky after an NM run because I had work in the morning even though Sky farming wasn't mandatory since it usually happened fairly late at night.

Though on the other hand, my LS tends to completely destroy anyone that says a bad thing about WHMs (except bad players that make bad WHMs). That is what tends to happen when pretty much all of the sackholders are either career WHMs, have WHM levelled or are a career PLD (or have both levelled to high levels like me and the Shellholder) . We don't mind if you say you don't like playing the job but saying that WHM sucks in my LS will get you burned at the stake by at least three of the sackholders
                        Reiko Takahashi
                        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Some linkshells are just doomed to fail, I guess. Any linkshell that can't recognize that some things are not manageable without some WHMs is a linkshell full of idiots, lol. The first time they said they didn't need WHMs for Dynamis I would have said, and I quote:

<Aksannyi> lol
                          <Aksannyi> well good luck with that
                          <Aksannyi> dropping pearl now
                          You throw away a linkpearl.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't care what anyone says, I still miss 1:1 STR & DEX conversions (and the slightly higher damage) but I also miss old RNG & BLM damage (Melee are entirely OP IMO now thanks to haste abuse but SE sees nothing wrong this apparently)

As for MMM, I loved it to death at first. But it lost all it's charm for me when they nerfed the marbles gained from farming runs after publicly stating they had no issue with it. Ranks right up there with the nerfing Fortifications EXP adjustment for "Shit that didn't need fixing, wtf is wrong with you SE?"
                            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Food overhaul. Best idea ever.
                              "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Working...
                              X