RDM WHM SCH or BRD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDM WHM SCH or BRD

Alright, so I recently returned to the game after a rather long hiatus and I made a new character. My new character is a taru and I'm not sure which job I want to take to 75 first. I experienced enough of the game before I left to realize which jobs I really enjoy and which ones I want to take to 75 on this character My question to you is whether I should level whm rdm sch or brd first. To be more specific, what is there a lack of these days and if I were to want to get into endgame which class would give me my best shot at getting into an endgame ls. I'd also appreciate personal opinions on the jobs from people who have had experience with several of them (i.e. pros cons, keeping in mind I want to play a healer/support character)

Thanks in advance to all constructive responses

Re: RDM WHM SCH or BRD

If you want to level up quickly and jump right into endgame, typically WHM and BRD are the fastest to take up and the most in-demand. The downside is that if you have WHM or BRD, you're going to be expected to play as WHM or BRD the majority of the time, so you need to be sure that you enjoy those jobs before taking them to 75. Some people consider these jobs boring and never want to play them after hitting 75, but they are critical jobs, and someone has to play them.

SCH is fantastic and will usually be in demand. It's a great job in general when you get familiar with it, and can fill several different types of slots at events, as healer, nuker, or support. The cons are that it's very likely to be the next 'bandwagon' job, so finding parties might be tough since a lot of people will be leveling it.

RDM is the most versatile, however you have to keep in mind that everyone and their mother has RDM at 75, even if you get stuck playing RDM a lot, chances are there's going to be long lines for RDM gear in whatever LS you end up on. It's still my main(and favorite) job to play, but if I was coming up as a brand new RDM it probably wouldn't be as fun to me, it's extremly gear intensive, expensive/difficult to gear well, and again, everyone has it leveled.

Overall if I was just starting I'd still say RDM first, just because that's the one job where you can learn the most and get a feel for things that will be very useful in leveling any of the other 3 jobs. If nothing else you'd need it to 37 as a SCH subjob. Otherwise I'd probably go with SCH.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
      The downside is that if you have WHM or BRD, you're going to be expected to play as WHM or BRD the majority of the time, so you need to be sure that you enjoy those jobs before taking them to 75.
      If you listen to any part of Callisto's post, make sure you listen to this part very carefully. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone join an endgame shell on whm or brd and be told straight up that they will be coming on that job THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME. Yet, somewhere down the line they start moaning about how they always have to come on that job......it makes me want to strangle them. I come on whatever job is needed without a word in game......doesn't mean I'm not at home going "GDI! Whm again! ><" LOL "You need to be sure that you enjoy those jobs before taking them to 75." Very wise words indeed.
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Not that I mind going as WHM, but it does get a bit annoying doing the same thing every single time. One time, I ended up coming late for a Dynamis run and was in a "stray" PT with a couple of others ... I had a ball meleeing part-time, just doing whatever and not worrying too much. Certainly that DRK was getting a lot of healing...

Also, some of the more hardcore endgame LSes are likely going to require two 75s that cover different roles, so it might be worth it to level another job like that some time in the future. Of course, that's probably a ways off ... try to enjoy the trip up, don't be so focused on the goal that you miss that.

Comment

Yes, what Callisto and TGM say is the truth. I happen to love playing WHM, so the fact that I'm on it 95% of my time in game is perfectly fine with me.

As far as leveling speed goes, you will probably be able to level (from fastest to slowest): BRD, RDM, SCH, WHM, in terms of invite rate. People don't like to invite WHMs anymore, which is sad, because their healing power is unmatched in this game, but WHMs are still the most valuable healing class at endgame.

It's also true what Callisto said about RDMs: there are about nine zillion of them, so while you'll be able to get into a linkshell with just RDM (in most cases), you will be at the end of a very long line for good gear, sometimes behind people who don't play RDM as often as you do, but because they've got seniority.

To be honest, all of those jobs are needed at endgame. I would suggest playing them all for a bit, and deciding which one you like the best after having played it. You'll want to probably level all those jobs to 37 anyway, so it wouldn't be a wasted effort regardless of what you choose to do.
          sigpic
          ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
          ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
          ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
          ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Definately make sure you LIKE the job before taking it to endgame. BRD was my first to 75 and I loved it... for EXP PTs.

Merits and endgame level it got old really fast. People don't even call you by your name when you're a BRD, you're just "BRD" and you're fought over like some item between the melee and other groups.

And no one sits still for buffs unless they're healing people. No one ever does. I'm still contemplating taking my BRD out to Cape Terrigan, HPing him there and letting Goblins slaughter him in passing while I'm off at work. Few days of that should spiral me down to 70 I figure.

SCH, on the other hand, I enjoy like I enjoy being a COR or a RNG. It has a nice variety to it and it isn't always weighed down with one particular task. Same could be said for RDM in many endgame situations, though for EXP most people use them as healers which I personally don't enjoy and is what keeps me from finishing the job to 75.

BRD and RDM had their chance with me, I've had DRG and BST sitting in the 60s forever and care about them more. I wouldn't care if they got overshadowed by my SCH at endgame because I enjoy it in every situation I've thrown it at.

Take some time and get to know all the jobs in the game, then decide what you want to take to high level. There's no rush and what you thought was a favorite may no longer be the favorite once you hit 75, so just take your time. There's no need to decide the job right now.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts. I really appreciate it

Comment

I was making mostly the same decision as you after returning to the game, except I didn't consider SCH because I don't really think I'd be interested in it. I'd honestly suggest taking WHM or RDM to 75 first, but only because I've received a lot of advice stating that taking Extra Jobs as a first 75 isn't always as easy as taking one of the Basic Jobs up, however a lot of that was based on the most expensive of jobs.

Other than that, BRD is meant to be really fun and in demand.
                Cadee
                Forever shall the wolf in me desire the sheep in you

Cadee | Phoenix | Mithra
                Aspiring Paladin
                MNK 11

Comment

Just keep in mind that to get to 75 the first time, you have to beat Maat. Thanks to Repose, the WHM fight is a lot easier than for RDM.
                  Elwynn @ Fairy Elwynbelwyn @ Sylph | PS2 PC
                  99 Everything, mostly play PUP, WHM, and sometimes BST
                  F13.1 W60.0 S54.1 G63.2 Cl70.0+1 L70.0 B54.0 A69.4 Co59.6

>2012
                  >not having all jobs at 99

Quasilumin : Examination complete. Examinee unregistered. Kuluu syndrome detected. Displays tendency towards cowardice. Report to infirmary for treatment.

Comment

If you can get repose to stick. In all honesty the WHM fight seems luck based more than anything. I've heard people in my LS stick repose with just 120 Divine Magic skill while people with capped Divine Magic have never gotten it to stick.

Then there is also the prayer you're screaming every time you have to stand still to use a potion in the hope that Maat will use a useless WS like Shoulder Tackle or One Inch punch instead of something that can one shot you like Asuran Fists or Combo.

I also have a friend in my LS who says when she pulled Maat with Banishga he countered right away with Paralyze which stopped her Repose and made her pretty much unable to act until she got Asuran Fisted to death.
                    Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                    Reiko Takahashi
                    - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                    Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                      If you can get repose to stick. In all honesty the WHM fight seems luck based more than anything. I've heard people in my LS stick repose with just 120 Divine Magic skill while people with capped Divine Magic have never gotten it to stick.

Then there is also the prayer you're screaming every time you have to stand still to use a potion in the hope that Maat will use a useless WS like Shoulder Tackle or One Inch punch instead of something that can one shot you like Asuran Fists or Combo.

I also have a friend in my LS who says when she pulled Maat with Banishga he countered right away with Paralyze which stopped her Repose and made her pretty much unable to act until she got Asuran Fisted to death.
                      Yep I totally agree. Luck is the biggest factor in that damn fight. Second after luck is the skill of not loosing your cool. If you can remain calm and luck is on your side, the fight is yours. When I did it on my whm taru, I was Asuran Fisted repeatedly. I have the worst damn luck.
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                        Yep I totally agree. Luck is the biggest factor in that damn fight. Second after luck is the skill of not loosing your cool. If you can remain calm and luck is on your side, the fight is yours. When I did it on my whm taru, I was Asuran Fisted repeatedly. I have the worst damn luck.
                        I have to say, from friends who have got there, they've said the fight appears to be mostly luck. Since I only got into the game and decided that on return I'd rather play a Mithra than an Elvaan (but kept my Elvaan just because she's sentimental and I'll play her again someday) my highest is a mere 30.

I am more determined to actually get to 75 this time though, so I'm already nervous about the Maat fight.
                        Cadee
                        Forever shall the wolf in me desire the sheep in you

Cadee | Phoenix | Mithra
                        Aspiring Paladin
                        MNK 11

Comment

Originally posted by Elwynn View Post
                          Thanks to Repose, the WHM fight is a lot easier than for RDM.
                          FTFY

I don't get why on Vana'diel WHMs fighting Maat are so effing fixated on Repose! The fight was much easier than RDM's Maat fight before Repose, the fight is much easier after Repose. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I would swear people's fixation on Repose has made the WHM Maat fight artificially HARDER by way of distraction!

/rant
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

I would personally recomend whm or rdm.

Of the two, if you have no other preference, I would still say red mage. Yes, everybody and their sister has it leveled, but for a REASON! Lol.

Rdm would be easier to level than whm, imo, as well as a little faster. There's a lot of soloing/duoing at the lower levels, and almighty Refresh at the higher ones. Brd gets boreing fast, and sch... I don't know much about, but I only know that the one sch in my dynamis ls is usually asked to come as whm or rdm, lol...

Take your pick, and make up your own mind. Just my opinion

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
                            Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
                            I live to entertain!

Comment

Yes, everybody and their sister has it leveled, but for a REASON! Lol.
                              I'd say about 10% of RDMs level it because they enjoy it and its useful, 15% level it just to leech the relic because it looks cool and then 75% just level it for merits and then try to hide the fact they ever leveled it to 75. They'll show up THF or DRK instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X