Name change, is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name change, is it possible?

I guess back in the day on my server there was a gil farmer with a name very similar to my rl nickname. I didn't realize it at the time (obviously), but he must have been active back when I created my character 2.5 years ago, so I just through a couple X's on either side and went with that.

Because of this, ever since I started, every few months or so I get a rude /shout or /emote from someone. The other day I was trioing in Garlaige on the bats in the basement, and one of our members died, and after I shouted for a Raise I got this littany of rude shouts from this one guy, being a total ass to me. I sent him a tell and explained to him that I wasn't a freaking gilseller, and managed to convince him that I wasn't, and he quasi apologized to me (of course, wouldn't /shout the apology so that everyone else in the zone didn't think I really was a gilseller, but whatever, he was a dick)...but that's not the only time, for sure. I've had this character forever, and am pretty well along in levels, so deleting and recreating is NOT an option.

Anyways, do you think that if I called a GM and explained the situation they would let me change my character name? Or am I pretty much fucked, because I just happened to choose a name too close to a known gilseller name? I just wonder how many party invites I've not gotten because of this stupid shit...if people would just ask they would know, but everyone knows how THAT is...
    I'm a slow motion accident, lost in coffee rings and fingerprints...
    -Frou Frou, "Hear Me Out"

Check out my blog! =>
    http://deuceffxi.blogspot.com/

Re: Name change, is it possible?

You could try, but I doubt they'll be sympathetic. AFAIK, name changes really only take place during server transfers, but it's worth a try.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
    ------
    Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
    When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Effedup View Post
      so I just through a couple X's on either side and went with that.
      First of all, threw.

Secondly, you would have been far better off not trying to use your nickname after the first try. Even if other people never knew this gilseller which was supposed to have a similar name to yours, the X's alone could actually be enough to leave a few people wary to your reliability. "Straight edge" is practically no more than a cliche nowadays, stereotypically used by people who think that it makes them look cool. Not saying that the gilseller "connection" isn't far more destructive than that; I'm just saying you could have gone for a better name.

That said, it should hopefully not have to be stated that I hope that the GM is more than sympathetic for you, and allows you a name change. It would be the first I have heard of this actually occurring, though, but your case would definitively deserve it if at all possible . . .
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

I'm not straight edge. I'm too tolerant of other peoples personal beliefs and morals to be considered such. The X's were just to allow me to get my nickname in some form...

I never heard of anyone being wary of people because they have x's on either side of their name...I see it on Xbox Live every single day. As I said, my character name is my legitamate nickname irl...I didn't just like make it up or anything. I can't believe that a name is enough for people to question my reliability. Seems very ignorant, in my opinion...most people that have accused me, after talking to me for a moment, has apologized for making the assumption and being rude to me...but I'm still fucking sick and tired of it happening, and having to defend myself whenever it does.

Thanks for your help. I'm doubting they'll do anything for me, but as a minor preventative measure I changed my /seacom and bazaar comment to "I AM NOT A FREAKING GILSELLER FOR GODS SAKE" so maybe that'll help tone things down a bit in the meantime...
        Last edited by Effedup; 11-06-2008, 10:13 AM.

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

I highly doubt they will have any sympathy for you. You could change your name but its an involved process. You delete your character, create another with the same name on another account, have them recover your deleted character, and they'll tell you that your name is now taken and you have to choose another. This does work because a friend with your exact same problem did it. (He created his character, gil sellers made characters with names a few letters short or long of his name like a year later, and let the harassment commence!)
          Originally posted by Feba
          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
          Originally posted by DakAttack
          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

What TGM says works, but it's risky. I have heard of deleted characters being lost after this, though I think it's also rare for that to happen. Server transferring is another option but kinda costly if you're just trying to change your name.

I don't think it could hurt to ask a GM, he might tell you he can help you or he might tell you to go stick it somewhere the sun don't shine. Might as well try it, and let us know how that goes, I'm actually quite interested to see what the GM says. Oh, and post SS, I love reading GM screenies.
            sigpic
            ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
            ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
            ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
            ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

its called ignoring them -.- its not htat hard, they wont to be pricks and call you stuff because they think your a seller. GM wont cahgne your name, next time think of something better.

I myself hate names with 50 "x"s in them or the 200 diffrent ways Cloud and/or Sephiroth is used -.-
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

But everyone knows how 3leet you are when you use an FFVII name!
                Last edited by Ameroth; 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                ------
                Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

LOL Xs in names!

Interesting story on that, my orignal XBL tag was Susurrus. I cancelled it because I couldn't use it and didnt wanna pay for it (this was Xbox days, before Silver/Gold). About a year or two later, I couldn't renew it since it was cancelled, but it was still in the database so I couldn't make it again. I called up XBL support to see if there was anything I could do, and they told me I can just put an X on the end or something but that's it...

;l

Ended up changing it to Susurration (same root word, obviously).
                  Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                  Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                  Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                  Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                  Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                    its called ignoring them -.- its not htat hard, they wont to be pricks and call you stuff because they think your a seller.
                    Ummm, yes they will, because people have. What I described earlier is almost exactly what happened this last time. I didn't think to take screenshots of the stupid bullshit but now I really wish I would have. I'm sick of it, is all. How the fuck was I supposed to know that there was a gilseller around with close to the same name as me when I first started playing? For all I knew, that name could have been some dudes mule that's been inactive for 6 months. Trust me, if I woulda known do you really think I would have picked that name? Is there some gil seller name database available to new players? 'Cause based on this stupid bullshit, their really needs to be.

It's so easy to tell someone to ignore it, and you know what, I have. For almost 3 goddamn years. Christ, if it woulda have happened right away I woulda said screw it and started a new character...but when it first started happening 6 months in I had a shit ton of stuff done, and we all know how fucking easy it is to get shit done in this game when you don't know anyone. Would you just throw it all away because people are jagoff pricks, that don't know how to /tell a person before they act like total fucking douches?

And for that matter, so fucking what, I have an X in my name. BFD. My name actually had some meaning behind it, it was my real life nickname. My friends call me that before they call me by my given name, which is why I chose it, even with the X's. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? So now we judge people by their fucking names?

Sorry if I offended some of you with my language, but I'm sick of it. If I have to deal with it, I will, but I'm entitled to being a little fed up and frustrated about it.

To those of you that offered suggestions, thank you, I will try my best.
                    Last edited by Effedup; 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM.

Check out my blog! =>

Comment

Um get some people to complain to GM that your name is offensive...

They usually make you change it...
                      (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ====【†】 BIBLE FIGHT !
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes its really ignorant to say to ignore people that harass you over this. When people see someone that has a name they are vaguely familiar with that is a gil seller name and that person is in some situation where they are asking for help (teleport, raise, gate breach, retrace, etc.), it never fails that you'll get someone that starts with the /t's or at the very worst /sh's. Oh yes, you can blist but if its /sh then everyone is seeing it and dragging your name through the mud and you better be getting involved in that shit DAMN QUICK. Ignoring that will only earn you even more of a headache and more shit down the road. Unless you've been through a situation like this, you don't have any reason to think its no big deal cause it can be a huge pain in the ass.

My friends name was Mabbit. That was his rl last name and he got a lot of damn teasing over that name! LOL The gil sellers that made names about 8 months after he started playing were Mabit, Mabbitt, Mabitt, Maabit, and I think that was it. He spoke with several GMs, he used the online chat, he called, he called again and spoke with the supervisor, he got the JP customer service number and spent a crapload and called them. Thats where he was told to delete his character, open a new account name it Mabbit, and then recover the old account. He's glad he finally got it fixed because he was about to quit playing it was becoming so annoying.
                        Originally posted by Feba
                        But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                        God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                        Originally posted by DakAttack
                        ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

I know of only one way to change you're name and it's expensive and drastic.Jump server make a mule on former server with you're name jup back change name delete mule.I hope no1 said this already or i'll look stupid

It ain't tanking unless you get hit
                          To those who are about to tank I salute you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                            Yes its really ignorant to say to ignore people that harass you over this. When people see someone that has a name they are vaguely familiar with that is a gil seller name and that person is in some situation where they are asking for help (teleport, raise, gate breach, retrace, etc.), it never fails that you'll get someone that starts with the /t's or at the very worst /sh's. Oh yes, you can blist but if its /sh then everyone is seeing it and dragging your name through the mud and you better be getting involved in that shit DAMN QUICK. Ignoring that will only earn you even more of a headache and more shit down the road. Unless you've been through a situation like this, you don't have any reason to think its no big deal cause it can be a huge pain in the ass.

My friends name was Mabbit. That was his rl last name and he got a lot of damn teasing over that name! LOL The gil sellers that made names about 8 months after he started playing were Mabit, Mabbitt, Mabitt, Maabit, and I think that was it. He spoke with several GMs, he used the online chat, he called, he called again and spoke with the supervisor, he got the JP customer service number and spent a crapload and called them. Thats where he was told to delete his character, open a new account name it Mabbit, and then recover the old account. He's glad he finally got it fixed because he was about to quit playing it was becoming so annoying.
                            no its not ignorant .... I was in a similar situation myself. I was harassed the same way after a had been farming in Delkfutt's Tower (back in the day when that was a nice farming area, and DRG/WHM = RMT in there -.-)

At first I reported people being rude to me, then after a while I just ignored them, and it stopped.

the problem is not in the person needing to change their name, its in the morons who harass people due to ignorance.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

I dunno if this will work or not, but instead of Deleteing the toon, just "Deactivate" it, make it gray button.

Then see if you can make a new toon in that world, and see if you can give it your old name. If you can't make it with your old name, then it won't work. My thinking is that if you deactivate your toon it **MIGHT** remove that name from the system.

Then IF it does work, just reactivate your main toon, it'll say the name is taken, then wham. you give it a new name. Just a thought, i don't know if it will work. A lot cheaper and simpler than the other things to **TRY** before going to the extereme of deleting or waiting for hours to talk to a GM that don't care.

But when my room mate's characters were compromised, and when he finally got them back, they did allow him to change his names, but that's more than likely cause of the hacking, but it's not impossible.
                              Last edited by Phanex; 11-06-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X